Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rougies wrote: »
    It's turning into a beast alright, but it's heading more NE than NW. I was hoping some of it's siblings might throw a tantrum on it's western flank but of course they decided to flare up on the eastern side lighting up the English Channel instead.

Are you able to look at the netweather radar? I dunno seems to me that the precipitation is headin NW. According to the Sat the anvil is being pushed Northwards alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's hard to see much potential in tonight, temperature has fallen back too much. Ideally we'd be wanting 17c or 18c with dewpoints at least 13c to have any hope. The only hope is for the Devon storm to develop into a mesoscale one that can survive the 80 mile sea trek to Wexford.

I'd say folks on the Wexford coast will start seeing distant flashes from this beast shortly.

Could be in for an MCS up the East Coast later. We pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

pad199207 wrote: »
    Are you able to look at the netweather radar? I dunno seems to me that the precipitation is headin NW. According to the Sat the anvil is being pushed Northwards alright

Yeah precip does look to be heading NW on all radars. And the sat24 map is offset by a few degress, so the caps are probably heading more NW too. Sferics also seem to be heading in a NW direction now. Hmmm. Even the models don't completely rule out the possibility. Maybe there is a chance?

Yeah precip does look to be heading NW on all radars. And the sat24 map is offset by a few degress, so the caps are probably heading more NW too. Sferics also seem to be heading in a NW direction now. Hmmm. Even the models don't completely rule out the possibility. Maybe there is a chance?

If things hold together, it could be very noisy in the Dublin areas in a few hours

• Advertisement

If things hold together, it could be very noisy in the Dublin areas in a few hours

I'm not optimistic, but whatever happens these are some impressive thunderstorms worth watching!

I'm not optimistic, but whatever happens these are some impressive thunderstorms worth watching!

I think we starting to see its demise on its western flank. Still a very impressive MCS getting together.
    Looks like she's sailing up the Irish Sea. F%*kn typical

Estofex were spot on for the storm tonight so far.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2017052706_201705251538_2_stormforecast.xml

I think we starting to see its demise on its western flank. Still a very impressive MCS getting together.
    Looks like she's sailing up the Irish Sea. F%*kn typical

There are some some troops starting to battle on the western flank again. Hopefully they're more like the vikings than the romans this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Going by the radar it looks like a Irish sea thing again!!

• Advertisement

You just couldn't make it up. This country is cursed.

You just couldn't make it up. This country is cursed.

You called/cursed it earlier! It's looking like a replica of last July. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Did I hear a massive rumble of thunder in the Blanchardstown area just now? Near hartstown. It didn't sound like a plane. It was a few seconds and gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's muggy and humid enough for something homegrown. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A disappointing event in the end, but perhaps unsurprising. It looks like the south of England has been the place to be since last night, with the western part getting a hammering, and now it seems that the eastern part has had/has plenty of action.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lightning activity for the 26-5-17

PCWSGsq.png?1

Huge storms in the UK overnight and this morning

Q9YsXSR.jpg?1

Torrential rain in D20

Look at those storms developing south of leeds! The lightning build up is unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Possibly could be something forming here in wexford.
    May not be warm enough air to feed it though to produce a thunderstorm.
    But it's certainly moist enough after the rain earlier this morning.
    The wind is from the west blowing into a black looking system to the east of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Possibly could be something forming here in wexford.
    May not be warm enough air to feed it though to produce a thunderstorm.
    But it's certainly moist enough after the rain earlier this morning.
    The wind is from the west blowing into a black looking system to the east of me.

looks intense on radar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    looks intense on radar

It's moving on away now.
    Looks to be heading for Wicklow direction.

May or may not produce sferics.
    But who knows maybe it will by the time it reaches Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

UK getting the spoils again.. FFS.

Is it possible to get those type of storms in this country? They are to drool over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it possible to get those type of storms in this country? They are to drool over!

Perhaps we should be grateful we don't have those storms here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

permanent ban from the weather forum!:D

Treason!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I feel sort of jealous that northern England is getting some active thunderstorms. The extofex chart on the last page posted around 0300 didn't indicate that much thunder for England showing most of outside the light yellow 15% boundary. Extofex indicated more activity for the Island of Ireland but so far very little so far.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I feel sort of jealous that northern England is getting some active thunderstorms. The extofex chart on the last page posted around 0300 didn't indicate that much thunder for England showing most of outside the light yellow 15% boundary. Extofex indicated more activity for the Island of Ireland but so far very little so far.

That chart was only valid until 6am this morning and it was spot on for SW England. Here's the chart for 6am Sat - 6am Sun.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2017052806_201705270651_1_stormforecast.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Here's a video from Plymouth last night showing the intensity of the storm. Excuse the bad language on the video if you are sensitive to that. Personally, I'd probably be saying some of the same stuff myself if I had been there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

glightning wrote: »
    Here's a video from Plymouth last night showing the intensity of the storm. Excuse the bad language on the video if you are sensitive to that. Personally, I'd probably be saying some of the same stuff myself if I had been there!

Wow that was incredible....... so jealous 😒

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement