Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Cafe - Immigration Thread

Options
  • 05-03-2017 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

It is beyond a joke at this stage. When you read a thread and there are infractions on pretty much every page, there has to be a time where the mods are taken to task.

There are a couple of mods that are just going rogue and jumping on anybody who they disagree with or who makes a good point that they don't like.

The latest additions too were a contrived disaster, used to try and get the thread shut down. People given mod status just to bolster the numbers of people who would be on a specific side.

I don't think I have received an infraction on the thread, so I think it's important that somebody who hasnt speaks out against this. It's a slow race of trying to make people stop posting in the thread. They actively going out of their way to Infract people just to get people to stop posting.

I don't post in it much any more because I have no idea what today's discussion topic results in a ban. Apparently we are not allowed to discuss religion today. (Although it's fair game on Christianity conveniently)

As I said previously, the most important item facing Europe over the next 50 years is Mass Immigration. In the likes of France, we have airport security at train stations, shopping centres, Museum's and we don't want to discuss the elephant in the room? The very reason why we are discussing the merits mass immigration?

I never complain about moderatoring. I use the Soccer and AH a lot and never have issues with the modding. But Politics Cafe is a disaster on this thread.

There needs to be a fresh start with the moderaters in that forum. There needs to be a crackdown on lads that are just going roque and infracting stuff that they don't like.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Hang on there buddy. Before you try and use me as a justification for your rant. As far as I can see, and admittedly I'm new to this so I may be wrong, I gave 3 yellow cards, one red card and one ban in that thread. Three of these actions were against one poster, who was pro-immigration, who went on a tirade of personal abuse. The other two actions were for a news dump and arguing with a moderator instruction on thread. So I'd ask you to provide some justification for your claim that
    The latest additions too were a contrived disaster, used to try and get the thread shut down. People given mod status just to bolster the numbers of people who would be on a specific side.

In relation to the thread itself, it's supposed to be about EU immigration. Can you tell me what the number of Muslims in Indonesia has to that topic? Or why it's relevant that Chinese members of ISIS have issued a threat against their homeland? Because I can't see the relevance at all. People are using the thread to simply rant about the Muslim religion. That isn't the thread or forum to do such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You can see very quickly a mods view on immigration . To debate on this thread with a mod you are at a disadvantage if you have different views .

In relation to the thread itself, it's supposed to be about EU immigration. Can you tell me what the number of Muslims in Indonesia has to that topic? Or why it's relevant that Chinese members of ISIS have issued a threat against their homeland? Because I can't see the relevance at all. People are using the thread to simply rant about the Muslim religion. That isn't the thread or forum to do such a thing.

I don't have any infractions nor do I have any problems with any Mod. Difference of opinion is just as important in a mod as it is in any poster.

However regarding Islam, it is a political issue. If you've ever lived in a muslim country, you would know that there is very little separation between their personal lives and the religion itself. There are many shades of Islamic belief, but it is a way of life that is extremely different from past European religions or cultures.

Simply deciding that Islam is exempt from political discussion stifles learning. I learn on these forums. I dont have the time or patience to trawl across the internet searching news sites, and I also live in China where censorship is nasty even with a vpn. I, and many others, use boards as a way of keeping in touch with whats happening both at home and in Europe. And the way people feel abou Islam is incredibly important.

I understand blocking hate speech or trollish behavior. I applaud that. But I don't understand this idea of blocking any intelligent logic-based conversations the way boards used to be before the Mass migrations started. Do your cards for the idiots and the trolls. We all enjoy our reputations enough that embarrassment will stop most others from appearing, well, "retarded". (Not directed at anyone in particular so don't ban me, pls ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I don't have any infractions nor do I have any problems with any Mod.Difference of opinion is just as important in a mod as it is in any poster.

However regarding Islam, it is a political issue. If you've ever lived in a muslim country, you would know that there is very little separation between their personal lives and the religion itself. There are many shades of Islamic belief, but it is a way of life that is extremely different from past European religions or cultures.

Simply deciding that Islam is exempt from political discussion stifles learning. I learn on these forums. I dont have the time or patience to trawl across the internet searching news sites, and I also live in China where censorship is nasty even with a vpn. I, and many others, use boards as a way of keeping in touch with whats happening both at home and in Europe. And the way people feel abou Islam is incredibly important.

I understand blocking hate speech or trollish behavior. I applaud that. But I don't understand this idea of blocking any intelligent logic-based conversations the way boards used to be before the Mass migrations started. Do your cards for the idiots and the trolls. We all enjoy our reputations enough that embarrassment will stop most others from appearing, well, "retarded". (Not directed at anyone in particular so don't ban me, pls ;) )

Agree 100%,however,if you look at the general opinion of the moderation in this forum you will very quickly deduce that there is no difference of opinion.This can be said for all social issues across the board including immigration.The irony being that mass immigration has become,and will remain,the number one social issue across Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

fran17 wrote: »
    Agree 100%,however,if you look at the general opinion of the moderation in this forum you will very quickly deduce that there is no difference of opinion.This can be said for all social issues across the board including immigration.The irony being that mass immigration has become,and will remain,the number one social issue across Europe.

Perhaps. Although there are quite a number of Mods here that I consistently agree with so... perhaps I hold out some hope that "comon sense" will win out. While I generally take a rather cynical perspective on people, boards is still the best discussion board out there.

A ban such as there is on Islam is too controlling. It's a topic that is of too much importance especially now in the age of common ignorance. The more people that learn to question and learn about Islam the better, rather than simply listening to politicians, the media, or bar room talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

A large factor in choosing mods is how they posted as users in that forum. So your argument is that once they become mods, they should never engage in that forum again? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Politics Cafe, Immigration and mods not being allowed to post has been done quite recently here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057695072

As there are no material difference being offered here just more of the same rhetoric I'm closing this thread with prejudice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement