Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage or wear and tear

Options
  • 05-03-2017 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

My tenants have brought to my attention a large crack in a shower base which will need replacing. I have attached a picture which gives an idea.

Just for the purposes of costs, would it be considered damage (i.e. they are liable) or wear and tear (i.e. I am liable).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

Picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Morak Thun wrote: »
    My tenants have brought to my attention a large crack in a shower base which will need replacing. I have attached a picture which gives an idea.

Just for the purposes of costs, would it be considered damage (i.e. they are liable) or wear and tear (i.e. I am liable).

Could the tenant cause a shower tray to crack by misuse? I doubt it.

I'd say wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's wear and tear

The shower base was poorly installed with poor support

Your problem I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I'd agree that is wear and tear. And I also would suggest you get it sorted asap so that leaking water from the shower base does not start causing damage to the bathroom floor (and if it is on an upstairs level water will damage downstairs ceiling as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Wear and tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Can't see how they can be liable for the crack. I would think that the base wasn't 100% level causing the crack. I would definitely put silicone in the crack if it is upstairs until a full repair can be done as a leak will cause untold damage.

As far as I know there are plastic repair kits which could fix that and save a lot of aggravation removing the old base. Ask in the DIY forum..... the people over there are fantastic for iideas and experience on issues such as this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wear and tear, that needs to be replaced not repaired. Moves too much in the middle for any repair to work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I had something similar happen. The tenant dropped something heavy and broke the base. It was clear that there was a point impact that caused the crack.

It was a costly accident

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Definitely wear & tear.
    When replacing it stay away from plastic shower trays. It also needs to be properly supported underneath

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How many were in the shower when it cracked and what were they doing :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement