Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protein bread

• 05-03-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5 Mozziemay

Hi
    Very new to this, not even sure if I'm the right forum but I want to do some research into protein bread, is it available already and is it something people into fitness/ training would eat?
    Any suggestions/ info would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah it's available already.

If it's just a way to get more protein in your diet, I'd suggest there are easier and cheaper ways of doing that that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

or you can make your own from very simple ingriedients: chickpea flour, cottage cheese, olive oil and eggs.

muffin_zpssgfgxujr.jpg

muffin%20cut_zps6uwanp7s.jpg

muffins%20chickpea%20CR_zpsp6avilzu.png

200g cottage cheese
    100g gram flour
    2 eggs
    1tbsp of olive oil (20g)
    half tsp soda
    half tsp xantan gum
    pinch of salt
    about half cup of water to make thick muffin batter
    tbsp of chia seed (optional)
    crushed garlic clove (optional)
    caraway seed (optional).
    divide into 8 muffin cases, bake untill golden brown in the oven @160-180C.

You can use fine oatmeal instead of chickpea flour but leave out the water (only add if it's too thick at the end) and let the dough sit for couple of hours for oatmeal to soak up the moisture from eggs and cottage cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Yeah it's available already.

If it's just a way to get more protein in your diet, I'd suggest there are easier and cheaper ways of doing that that.

A chicken breast a day, keeps dem gainz coming your way.

Brennans-Bread-Protein-advert.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Brennans-Bread-Protein-advert.jpg

God I hate this shit. Bananas are a "source of protein". Notice they don't say "a good source of protein", bunch of charlatans.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    God I hate this shit. Bananas are a "source of protein". Notice they don't say "a good source of protein", bunch of charlatans.

You can't make a crisp sandwich for them extra gainz with bananas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Every time I think I've seen it all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

Marketing exec think in

Marketing Company CEO: "Guys sales are falling quarter after quarter the client is really turning up the heat on us, we need somthing to boost sales...come on..you are supposed to be the best minds in marketing"

Marketing Exec : "Put the word 'Protein' in front of the product name?"

Marketing Company CEO: "Genius"

Marketing Exec : "Pints?"

Lads be rushing home from the gym to have French toast before the anabolic window shuts

I'd love some french toast now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

Lads be rushing home from the gym to have French toast before the anabolic window shuts

Have you tried runny fried egg on ham on toast? Delish.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd love some french toast now

I like runny fried egg on ham on toast.

I also like french toast, which has protein powder in the mix.

Now I am imagining runny fried egg on ham on protein infused french toast.

New Goat wrote: »
    Have you tried runny fried egg on ham on toast? Delish.

No. But I've tried two slices of bread soaked in egg, with grated cheese sandwiched between them and then put on a pan to turn golden brown.

You say this as if it isn't an amazing idea???

French toast has eggs. I can't see a single flaw in this plan.

You say this as if it isn't an amazing idea???

French toast has eggs. I can't see a single flaw in this plan.

French toast is an amazing idea all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mozziemay

Thanks all
    I was interested in making a type of protein bread to sell to gyms etc and just wondering if there's a market for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Mozziemay wrote: »
    Thanks all
    I was interested in making a type of protein bread to sell to gyms etc and just wondering if there's a market for it?

I seriously doubt it mate. Every bloody food company is marketing the 'source of protein' nonsense nowadays, and since they're not technically lying, they can't be stopped. Bread is just one of those things that people will only really buy if it's cheap and isn't a pile of muck, even 'gym-goers' and lifters.

I pay 89c for my sliced pan in Aldi at the moment (at least that's german prices) and if there was a 'protein bread' on offer beside it for 10c more, I doubt I'd buy it tbh.

Personally, if I want to up my protein intake, I just eat more chicken, soy mince or drink a shake, but the reality is, I don't need half as much protein as I thought I did 6 months ago, and I can get by just fine without drinking shakes or eating meat with every meal.

The 'protein craze' is just an overblown fad imo, and the majority of people just don't need as much as supplement and food companies are telling them.

This desire everyone seems to have to eat more protein annoys me to be honest. It is so energy-expensive for the planet to produce protein rich foods compared to carbohydrate rich foods. If everyone on the planet demanded to eat as much meat etc. as all the people protein-fanatics in Ireland, there wouldn't be enough to go around. The numbers of actual alive animals that need to be killed just to satisfy the vanity-fuelled demand for protein of this generation is shocking. I wonder if they had to raise and kill the animals themselves would they continue to eat as much meat. It's the un-thinkingness of it that bothers me most - all these people going into the supermarket loading up on (ludicrously cheap) chicken breasts, ultimately to look more sexually attractive either by blunting their appetite and cutting fat from their bodies or else adding muscle mass - 20 years ago they wouldn't have eaten 30% as much meat.

This desire everyone seems to have to eat more protein annoys me to be honest. It is so energy-expensive for the planet to produce protein rich foods compared to carbohydrate rich foods. If everyone on the planet demanded to eat as much meat etc. as all the people protein-fanatics in Ireland, there wouldn't be enough to go around. The numbers of actual alive animals that need to be killed just to satisfy the vanity-fuelled demand for protein of this generation is shocking. I wonder if they had to raise and kill the animals themselves would they continue to eat as much meat. It's the un-thinkingness of it that bothers me most - all these people going into the supermarket loading up on (ludicrously cheap) chicken breasts, ultimately to look more sexually attractive either by blunting their appetite and cutting fat from their bodies or else adding muscle mass - 20 years ago they wouldn't have eaten 30% as much meat.
    It's important to keep your muscle mass or increase it as you get older. Basically you just start wasting away as you age.. So it's also a health thing not just vanity.

Of course some people take it too far but probably the minority of the general population for sure?

Animals are tasty though. Eating them isn't just about protein.

• Advertisement

Animals are tasty though. Eating them isn't just about protein.

I know, I eat them, just not as much as other people as I would feel too guilty. In 200 years our descendants will look back on us the way we look at cannibals. Even just reminding myself that a few generations ago our ancestors lived their whole lives rarely ever tasting meat makes me feel disturbed and guilty to look upon to abundance of meat that is available and sights of kids starving on the trocaire ad or knowing they live on beans and rice in central america makes me feel disturbed to think of pampered westerners like us unnecessarily eating so many animals, for gluttony and vanity. Yes in reality I am as disconnected from it all as you are and could be seen as a hypocrite for even mentioning this stuff and still eating some meat.

I know, I eat them, just not as much as other people as I would feel too guilty. In 200 years our descendants will look back on us the way we look at cannibals. Even just reminding myself that a few generations ago our ancestors lived their whole lives rarely ever tasting meat makes me feel disturbed and guilty to look upon to abundance of meat that is available and sights of kids starving on the trocaire ad or knowing they live on beans and rice in central america makes me feel disturbed to think of pampered westerners like us unnecessarily eating so many animals, for gluttony and vanity. Yes in reality I am as disconnected from it all as you are and could be seen as a hypocrite for even mentioning this stuff and still eating some meat.

Do you feel guilty about the abundance of other things you have that kids in Trocaire ads don't?

Do you feel guilty about the abundance of other things you have that kids in Trocaire ads don't?

Nourishing food would be the main thing. I know where you're getting at though and you're right, it's illogical, inconsistent, hypocritical of me, seeing as I don't sell everything I own but the bare minimum to survive and donate the proceeds. Surely though some people share my feelings of guilt about all the meat people eat nowadays? And not even from the usual (valid in my opinion) vegetarian perspective of animal cruelty but of over-luxury and resource depletion?

Nourishing food would be the main thing. I know where you're getting at though and you're right, it's illogical, inconsistent, hypocritical of me, seeing as I don't sell everything I own but the bare minimum to survive and donate the proceeds. Surely some people share my feelings of guilt about all the meat people eat nowadays though? and not even from the usual vegetarian perspective of animal cruelty but of over-luxury and resource depletion?

Unless you cycle or walk everywhere, you should also be feeling guilty about over-luxury and resource depletion associated with consumption of fossil fuels.

I'm not directing at you by the way but just a general point. Is it wrong to eat meat that is freely available?

Is it wrong to wear nice clothes? Do we ever really check where or how it's made?

How much heat is from the central heating is enough and how much extra is cosy?

Having a few chicken breasts is probably down the list of unsustainable choices people make every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

product-protein-bread-2.pngR.PPM_.300-Front-RGB-HR1.png

This stuff is in the shop near me. TBF, it's over 20% protein and not just a ridiculous claim by a normal bread company

And gluten free
    That's cool

The Dr Zaks bread is 26g protein per 100g so about 30g for two slices.

It's also a fiver for an 850g loaf...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Protein bread is utter nonsense. Does it exist? Yes. Will people buy it? Yes. Because people fall for such gimmicky crap.

Better solution. Get bread, get source of protein. Eat both together. Make a sandwich. Congratulations. Protein bread.

Having a few chicken breasts is probably down the list of unsustainable choices people make every day.

Really you carnivores should just eat crickets and other insects. Best protein to ecological damage ratio available.

Chickens are also far better than cattle. Cut out the steak if you want to lower your carbon footprint.

• Advertisement

Really you carnivores should just eat crickets and other insects. Best protein to ecological damage ratio available.

Chickens are also far better than cattle. Cut out the steak if you want to lower your carbon footprint.

I'm not a lizard so I won't be eating insects any time soon.

I reduce my carbon footprint elsewhere to buy me some credits for steak. Planted a tree last week. An oak. That's 150+ years' worth of steak right there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Omnivores horse. We needs something to provide a crunch with the steak.

I'd happily eat insects, but they're tough to get enough of.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There are no insects in the jung....

Oh.

But what about the energy to life ratio.

The chicken might be 6 portions. A beef cow might provide around 1500 portions. If you much kill to eat, then beef is more death friendly.

Although, both of those are pittance compared to the deaths caused by eating vegetables. A portion of broccoli was probably home to douzen of insects. And the poor worms chopped up by machines in fields.

Veg is murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We also share DNA with plant life.
    So being omnivorous is no big deal, once the animal or bird life is killed humanely.
    Humans generally are much kinder than the carnivores on the savannahs...

Mellor wrote: »

The chicken might be 6 portions. A beef cow might provide around 1500 portions. If you much kill to eat, then beef is more death friendly.

Although, both of those are pittance compared to the deaths caused by eating vegetables. A portion of broccoli was probably home to douzen of insects. And the poor worms chopped up by machines in fields.

Veg is murder.

Right, got it. I only eat blue whales now.

• Advertisement

Right, got it. I only eat blue whales now.

Eating slime is the one true way.
    Lisa_Licks_Slime.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

The Dr Zaks bread is 26g protein per 100g so about 30g for two slices.

It's also a fiver for an 850g loaf...

So cheaper than chicken then? Do you buy it online or know of any shops that sel it?

Mellor wrote: »

Veg is murder.

Agree with the first two sentences, disagree with the second two. In my opinion, insects aren't sentient "enough" to oblige me to feel guilty about killing them. And yes, I realise there is a gradient of sentience between bacteria and humans, but the domesticated animals we breeds by the billions all fall pretty close to humans on the grand scale of capacity-to-suffer-like-humans and sentience, wth insects pretty far down the scale. If there was unlimited biomass available to provide us with animals without us having to worry about whether it was sustainable or not, and if animals suffered minimally during their lives before they were killed for their meat, and if the process of killing them somehow was not brutal, I would feel much less irked by the sight of the likes of "thebodycoach" etc. on facebook mindlessly promoting high-protein meals. PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN ... ALWAYS PROTEIN!!!

And another thing - since when did *nice* meals become diet foods? I thought diets were meant to involve suffering and self-restraint ... its *easy* to only eat lots of meat, vegetables and a bit of rice .. NOBODY deserves any admiration for being "able to" maintain such a diet. I'd have much more admiration for somebody who eats little meat and lots of carbs to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Agree with the first two sentences, disagree with the second two. In my opinion, insects aren't sentient "enough" to oblige me to feel guilty about killing them. And yes, I realise there is a gradient of sentience between bacteria and humans, but the domesticated animals we breeds by the billions all fall pretty close to humans on the grand scale of capacity-to-suffer-like-humans and sentience, wth insects pretty far down the scale. If there was unlimited biomass available to provide us with animals without us having to worry about whether it was sustainable or not, and if animals suffered minimally during their lives before they were killed for their meat, and if the process of killing them somehow was not brutal, I would feel much less irked by the sight of the likes of "thebodycoach" etc. on facebook mindlessly promoting high-protein meals. PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN ... ALWAYS PROTEIN!!!

And another thing - since when did *nice* meals become diet foods? I thought diets were meant to involve suffering and self-restraint ... its *easy* to only eat lots of meat, vegetables and a bit of rice .. NOBODY deserves any admiration for being "able to" maintain such a diet. I'd have much more admiration for somebody who eats little meat and lots of carbs to be honest.

It's not mindless, they know exactly why they're promoting higher protein meals. Because science!
    And since when did anyone do a diet to gain admiration? A "diet" means being in  a calorie deficit, which can be done with or without meat. And a successful diet won't feel like suffering. Eating chicken, veg and rice is nice, but when your body is low on calories it's never easy. Have you dieted down to low body fat before? 
    What's a "diet food" anyway? I just eat my normal food and if I need to lose weight I eat less of it?

It's not mindless, they know exactly why they're promoting higher protein meals. Because science!
    And since when did anyone do a diet to gain admiration? A "diet" means being in  a calorie deficit, which can be done with or without meat. And a successful diet won't feel like suffering. Eating chicken, veg and rice is nice, but when your body is low on calories it's never easy. Have you dieted down to low body fat before? 
    What's a "diet food" anyway? I just eat my normal food and if I need to lose weight I eat less of it?

I'm not denying the science behind it in terms of weight loss (although people do tend to ignore the detrimental effects of eating too much meat, but anyway..), I am merely saying it is mindless with regard to not acknowledging the realitiy that protein is much more expensive to produce for the planet, involves actual living animals having to suffer etc. Before the internet few people understood nutrition - in the last 10 years everyone seems to be up to scratch on the science behind weight loss at least (regrettably in my view since it has contributed to the formation of a population of overly image-concious people). A diet food is clearly the kind of food it is easy to eat in the long run, regularly, and maintain a low body weight. It is easy to do while eating lots of protein. We could all eat meat 3 times a day. But if everyone eats lots of protein it will all run out. And if it doesn't run out, it simply means more living things are being brought into existence and made suffer to satisfy our selfish human desires to have low body fat. That is the crux of my issue!

• Advertisement

I thought diets were meant to involve suffering and self-restraint ...

Your diet is literally what you eat

bluewolf wrote: »
    Your diet is literally what you eat

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=diet+definition&*&dobs=diet

1. the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

2. a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons

I'm not denying the science behind it in terms of weight loss (although people do tend to ignore the detrimental effects of eating too much meat, but anyway..), I am merely saying it is mindless with regard to not acknowledging the realitiy that protein is much more expensive to produce for the planet, involves actual living animals having to suffer etc. Before the internet few people understood nutrition - in the last 10 years everyone seems to be up to scratch on the science behind weight loss at least (regrettably in my view since it has contributed to the formation of a population of overly image-concious people). A diet food is clearly the kind of food it is easy to eat in the long run, regularly, and maintain a low body weight. It is easy to do while eating lots of protein. We could all eat meat 3 times a day. But if everyone eats lots of protein it will all run out. And if it doesn't run out, it simply means more living things are being brought into existence and made suffer to satisfy our selfish human desires to have low body fat. That is the crux of my issue!

There wouldn't be a problem if animals weren't so damn tasty.

Ah sure, this is it :(

I said the same about people but nooooo suddenly I'm a "murderer" and a "depraved cannibal".

I said the same about people but nooooo suddenly I'm a "murderer" and a "depraved cannibal".

Did you mention the fava beans and the bottle of nice Chianti?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Nourishing food would be the main thing. I know where you're getting at though and you're right, it's illogical, inconsistent, hypocritical of me, seeing as I don't sell everything I own but the bare minimum to survive and donate the proceeds. Surely though some people share my feelings of guilt about all the meat people eat nowadays? And not even from the usual (valid in my opinion) vegetarian perspective of animal cruelty but of over-luxury and resource depletion?

I stopped eating meat because of ethical reasons (primarily environmental). I know the counter argument is always but 'do you do X & Y & Z too? Because if you don't you're a hypocrite' and that's fair enough. Having said that, at least I'm doing something. I'd still be doing X & Y & Z but at least that one simple change, replacing meat with beans/tofu whatever, makes a difference.

It's not the all or nothing thing that people like to make it out to be because that's just an excuse to do nothing. I don't need to be an absolute crusty living naked in a mud hut with no electricity. Protein bread is a perfect example, not everyone is going to want protein bread but there's a significant enough amount of people seeking this out that there is an actual market for phucking protein bread.

If you stopped drinking milk, you'd have an impact on reducing the number of cows contributing to emissions (because of the abolition of milk quotas)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If you stopped drinking milk, you'd have an impact on reducing the number of cows contributing to emissions (because of the abolition of milk quotas)

Haven't drank milk in years ;)

eric-cartman-hippie-quote-1-picture-quote-1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement