Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym Earphones- overhead options

• 05-03-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Guys,
    Want to invest in overhead earphones for the gym.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for me?
    Are the Beats ones overpriced or are they the best?
    Better alternatives,best sound output?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Would your ears not be roasting in big cans?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

Don't believe the hype around beats because of their endorsements. Personally I never stray off sennheisers. You can get them starting from around €30

http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gemm

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes ,the ears might be roasting a bit i suppose! Good solid ones that stay fixed in position (as well as good output) is what is leading me to them though..have had too many annoying moments with the small buds falling out mid-exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh I'd never go back to overhead.

I bought jaybird's about 3 years back and wouldn't go back again. They are in ears with a wing system and are Bluetooth.

They are not cheap but have lifetime guarantee and have great sound.

I use mine jogging . If that's not an endorsement for not falling out I don't know what is.

Check them out on Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

guile4582 wrote: »

Do they last 8 hours as stated in specs ? Very good if they do.

never really counted how long but i tend to only have to charge it once a week

only use them when cycling 20 mins each way 5 days a week and four gym sessions roughly an hour each a week and other ad hoc times walking to shop, bus to town you know yourself :)

for the price, can't fault them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

my earphone choice, everything else was too bulky, fell out of my ears, really handy for changing songs and taking calls also - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PMX-686i-Sports-Earphones-x/dp/B00TKH1AOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488878736&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Jaybird X3 or Freedoms are fantastic.

I am currently using the freedoms but previously had the x-series. The x-series has a longer battery life and the remote doesn't bounce around as much. They are however bulkier around the ears compared to the freedoms. Depending on what you want from your headphones, you can't go wrong with either of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Been using back beat pro's for the last couple of years and I love them but they're crap for running.

Bought a pair of the silvercrest headphones in Lidl last week and they're amazing..

The sound quality isn't as good at that price point obviously but they are glued to my ears. I can run for miles without ever adjusting them.

A snug fit makes all the difference.

There's a lad wears cans in our gym and I don't know how he does it. If they work for you great but you may not have found the right pair of headphones yet.

Next on my list are the BOSE Soundsport which i'm hoping will combine good fit with great sound quality..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

AKG 452 are great, only about 30 euro in Currys but wired, if this is an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I actually have these as well and find them great

Your ears do tend to SWEAT however!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Not overheads, but I highly recommend this set - Plantronics BackBeat FIT

I use them for running, rowing and cross-training - and they never move. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah try to avoid overheads. Any decent pair of Sennheisser in-ear ear buds that you see in the shops should do the job. They shouldn't fall out if you have the right sized tips on them that fits your ear canal.

I would always say go with Sennheisser but just be aware they dont support Android with the three buttons remote, only iPhone

you can get an app "click three times to turn volume up" etc. but pain in the hoop, hence why I didnt go with Sennheisser (I previously used sennheiser pmx685i and can recommend )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I've seen a few wireless over ear (overhead?) headphones in the gym. Looked decent and imo its the only way to drown out the in-house garbage.

I don't personally listen to anything in the gym myself though.

Wow,thanks for all the help guys.loadsa options!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

guile4582 wrote: »
    I would always say go with Sennheisser but just be aware they dont support Android with the three buttons remote, only iPhone

Most models with the remote have two different versions, i for iPhones and g for Androids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

gemm wrote:
    Hi Guys, Want to invest in overhead earphones for the gym. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Are the Beats ones overpriced or are they the best? Better alternatives,best sound output? Thanks in advance!

Which ones did you go for in the end???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I use Jaybird V2 and they are great.

Saw these in Bargain Alerts over the weekend and i think they were €50 so might be worth seeing if they reduce them again.

http://www.checkargos.com/product/4618395

Went with Sennheiser over ear ones.HD 2.10. V happy with them! They seem to be a reliable brand,sound is good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Not overheads, but I highly recommend this set - Plantronics BackBeat FIT

I use them for running, rowing and cross-training - and they never move. :)

Just ordered these myself, I don't trust buds that don't wrap around my ear in some way for exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Just ordered these myself, I don't trust buds that don't wrap around my ear in some way for exercise

Great to hear (ha!)! Hope you have success with them.

Just a quick tip that I got from one of the reviews on amazon (think it's the first review comment that comes up) - put rubber/silicone tips (the ones you get normal in ear headphones) into each earbud - it really enhances the sound outlay :)

Edit: here's a link to the comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Has to be wireless earbuds, you'll never go back.

Jaybirds or Skullcandy XTFree will do it. I own both and the latter are basically half the price for the same product.

Advertisement