Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll on banning Christianity

Options
  • 05-03-2017 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Why was this thread not moved to the humanities forum like the Islam thread?

Or is it just more acceptable to pick on, make allegations against and verbally abuse Catholics in AH?

If the ban Islam thread got moved the same criteria surely must apply to the Christianity one.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you asked the mods this question? It's only fair to give them a chance to discuss first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I've flagged the thread when it first started, but nothing has been said.

Also made two comments about it in the thread, as did other users, but it's just ignored.

Read it yourself: Catholics are murderers, terrorists, supporters of Child Abuse, mentally unbalanced, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll flag it to the mods.

dudara wrote: »
    I'll flag it to the mods.

Cheers.

Not setting to close it down outright, but more suitable setting than letting rampant anti Catholic bitching again in AH.

More suited to the same debate thread with Islam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be fair, if the Catholic Church didn't commit crimes and then have an official policy of covering them up, people likely wouldn't hate the church so much.

That and the church claiming it was doing good but it was happy to dump body's into a septic tank or sell baby's for profit.

Surely as a country we are allowed to be outraged at this organisation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"But it was only some of them, not all of them" - does that not apply to Catholics too, no?

It's definitely one rule for one, another rule for the ones they are afraid of.

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair, if the Catholic Church didn't commit crimes and then have an official policy of covering them up, people likely wouldn't hate the church so much.

That and the church claiming it was doing good but it was happy to dump body's into a septic tank or sell baby's for profit.

With 700 threads about it so atheists can bitchfest to the extreme?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

With 700 threads about it so atheists can bitchfest to the extreme?

So you've nothing constructive to actually add eh?

Last I checked Ireland has about 8‰ atheists or people of no religion. The people outraged by the sick crimes of the Catholic Church are most certainly not all atheists. Plenty of Catholics (ticked it in the last census) are disgusted and are perfectly entitled to discuss this issue.

Many from what I've seen finally want to distance themselves from the church, I know of people who are now opting their kids out of Catholic religion class as of this week for example.

I believe I am been constructive, sorry if that does not fit your narrow definition of it.
    Last I checked Ireland has about 8‰ atheists or people of no religion. The people outraged by the sick crimes of the Catholic Church are most certainly not all atheists. Plenty of Catholics (ticked it in the last census) are disgusted and are perfectly entitled to discuss this issue.

Yes, but why the mountain of threads or not a dedicated thread. If it were Islam, it be locked and bans given out.
    Many from what I've seen finally want to distance themselves from the church, I know of people who are now opting their kids out of Catholic religion class as of this week for example.

Good for them, not relevant to this feedback I created the thread about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Why was this thread not moved to the humanities forum like the Islam thread?

Or is it just more acceptable to pick on, make allegations against and verbally abuse Catholics in AH?

If the ban Islam thread got moved the same criteria surely must apply to the Christianity one.

Well yes,the answer to your question is yes.This forum is deeply anti Catholic,and we must make the distinction between Catholicism and religion in general.We can all see with great clarity that the Catholic Church holds a unique place in this forum regarding bigotry and abuse.It exists because those who engage in it know full well that it will go unpunished regardless of how insulting or untrue the claim may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

fran17 wrote: »
    Well yes,the answer to your question is yes.This forum is deeply anti Catholic,and we must make the distinction between Catholicism and religion in general.We can all see with great clarity that the Catholic Church holds a unique place in this forum regarding bigotry and abuse.It exists because those who engage in it know full well that it will go unpunished regardless of how insulting or untrue the claim may be.
    Selective outrage at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I've just discovered this thread which is three months old and while I'm not sure if there is any point in posting here now, I feel I cannot let your post go without a response. I have no interest in defending the wrongs of a religion to which I do not belong, but to be utterly fair, Valeyard in his OP has complained about a lack of consistency in dealing with the RCC as opposed to Islam, and rather than address his complaint you have taken the thread off topic to the RCC's record in certain well publicised matters. The issue here is not about the crimes of the Catholic Church. That is not the substance of Valeyard's complaint. Some ( including Valeyard, perhaps? ) might accuse me of being over-optimistic if I said that we should expect a higher standard of fairness from a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

moderator wrote:

feargale wrote: »
    I've just discovered this thread which is three months old and while I'm not sure if there is any point in posting here now, I feel I cannot let your post go without a response. I have no interest in defending the wrongs of a religion to which I do not belong, but to be utterly fair, Valeyard in his OP has complained about a lack of consistency in dealing with the RCC as opposed to Islam, and rather than address his complaint you have taken the thread off topic to the RCC's record in certain well publicised matters. The issue here is not about the crimes of the Catholic Church. That is not the substance of Valeyard's complaint. Some ( including Valeyard, perhaps? ) might accuse me of being over-optimistic if I said that we should expect a higher standard of fairness from a mod.

I think that it is too much to expect anything else from Boards.ie., Feargale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wow, good for you man. Err... what's this got to do with the thread at hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Islam definitely has a "special protected status" on Boards, meanwhile people are free to post with impunity about Catholicism, anywhere they like.

3edgy5me

I'm not even a Catholic btw, got married in a civil ceremony and my kid is not baptised

hinault wrote: »
    I think that it is too much to expect anything else from Boards.ie., Feargale.

It looks like you have a serious chip on your shoulder here, you edited my name and instead replaced it with moderator when quoting me.

hinault, you are on boards.ie long enough to know that as I don't mod the feedback forum I am a user the same as anyone else. This is very basic stuff.

Unless I am posting as a mod in a forum I moderate then I am very much entitled to my views and if you think they represent boards.ie as a whole then you appear to have some very clear misunderstandings about how boards.ie works.

Once again...for those that have an issue understanding this, I am a user the same as you in this forum.

c_man wrote: »
    Wow, good for you man. Err... what's this got to do with the thread at hand?

Plenty,
    My post was in response to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102853895&postcount=8

Very clearly The_Valeyard made the incorrect assumption that all people that don't like the Catholic church are atheist....this is frankly silly and actually pretty ignorant to claim.

Plenty of self-described Catholics don't like the church/Vatican for what its down, but they still identify themselves as Catholic (Christian would likely be more accurate but people go with what they are used to).

Are Catholics not allowed to be outraged and to discuss the crimes of the Catholic church as an organisation?

Its pretty amusing that some catholics will claim this is a "Catholic country" and due to this 92% of our school system should remain catholic etc etc. But then when there's outrage against the organisation from Catholics who don't like what the church as an organisation has done the other catholics want this outraged hidden away and claim its none catholics saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

@Cabaal:
    You are missing the point. The_Valeyard made a complaint at post 1. At #4 dudara very fairly undertook to pursue the matter. The_Valeyard's response at #5 was the essence of reasonableness and the matter might have rested there if you had not posted at #6, clearly implying that wrongdoing by the RCC was relevant to this thread. The only inference to be drawn from that is that because the RCC is guilty it should be denied due procedure. Nazi war criminals were accorded due procedure.
    We can all be fair to those we agree with. Being fair to those who are at odds with us takes a little bit of intellectual endeavour.

Very clearly The_Valeyard made the incorrect assumption that all people that don't like the Catholic church are atheist....this is frankly silly and actually pretty ignorant to claim.

Have I???
    Ignorant??
    Silly??
    My my, arent you having a deluded posting. Go to the atheism forum and see the rampant anti Catholic posting or picture threads dedicated go taking the piss out of Christianity. I wonder how long picture threads against Islam or of Muhammad jokes and pictures would last before they were shut down.

Rules need to be for all religions and not special cases. Otherwise, what's the point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wonder how long picture threads against Islam or of Muhammad jokes and pictures would last before they were shut down.

Out of the last 30 posts in The Funny (ha ha) side of religion thread (which I think you are referring to) 8 of them were taking the peas out of Islam. Considering the demographics in Ireland that is far more than you would expect to see on average.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Out of the last 30 posts in The Funny (ha ha) side of religion thread (which I think you are referring to) 8 of them were taking the peas out of Islam. Considering the demographics in Ireland that is far more than you would expect to see on average.

And your telling me that if these were forwarded to the Islamic centre near Dundrum and a complaint was made, they would not be removed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

And your telling me that if these were forwarded to the Islamic centre near Dundrum and a complaint was made, they would not be removed?

When wrong just move the goalposts.

When wrong just move the goalposts.

Not wanting to answer the question.

Ignore the 'goalposts' so. Make your own game.

Not wanting to answer the question.

Ignore the 'goalposts' so. Make your own game.

I know you hate atheists but you are just going to keep up making excuses.

Send the pictures on so. You can get to be right and take down the atheists in one swoop.

I know you hate atheists but you are just going to keep up making excuses.

Send the pictures on so. You can get to be right and take down the atheists in one swoop.

dont hate anyone, sorry to disappoint you. Well I dislike the pontificating atheists like Michael Nugent.

Never said I was going to, simply asking what would happen.

But sure, on you go so :rolleyes:

dont hate anyone, sorry to disappoint you. Well I dislike the pontificating atheists like Michael Nugent.

Never said I was going to, simply asking what would happen.

But sure, on you go so :rolleyes:

The silent atheists are ok to you.

You create an imaginary situation to whine about but won't actually do anything.

The silent atheists are ok to you.

You create an imaginary situation to whine about but won't actually do anything.

Silent atheists? Wow, thats what you took from this thread and my responses? You knew exactly what i meant and choose to twist things around :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And, no its not whining, valid points have been made in this thread, Im sorry if you feel aggrieved that you cant simply have another anti-catholic rant, if so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,065 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Woah, guys, can we chill and rewind to what the original issue was?

Cabaal, IMHO you're stirring up a storm in a teacup over something entirely tangential to the original point of the thread. Be mad at the RCC, do what you want with that, be respectful to other users while you do it, but it was a simple question: why Islam criticism was moved to Humanities, and why Christianity criticism was not. It may as well read, "Why was the Mustard thread moved to the condiments forum but not the Ketchup thread?"

Atheism and all this other shyte has, absolutely nothing to do with anything here. Super. Simple. Procedural. Question. which frankly, would have remained resolved and never bumped except for pointless embellishing commentary - posted days after the original concern had been addressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No idea mate. I been modding Cool Vids and pics for a couple of years now though and have never been 'instructed' to remove any pics because of complaints from any organisation.

Personally I do not think any organisation is above satire or criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Not wanting to answer the question. Ignore the 'goalposts' so. Make your own game.

In fairness now you quote blatantly did move the goalposts. You pontificated on whether a thread containing mockery of islam would last. It was then shown to you that there in fact IS such a thread and it IS lasting.

But rather than admit of that new knowledge you instead changed it to whether or not it would last if some external Islamic Organisations were to show up and start kicking up fuss about it. This is a clear, obvious, demonstrable moving of the goal posts from your original statement. BabyCheeses is clearly not the only one to have noticed it.

But why do whatiffery about it? WRITE to them yourself, provide them the links, TELL them the posts are there and inform them of what the boards.ie standard complaint channels actually are. Then we will see without bringing pure and mere fantasy to bear on the issue, exactly how they would or will react to it. None of your whatiffery required about it at all.

• Advertisement

You can close this thread. It's clear that Boards.ie does not want feedback with the rule changes.

Thanks.

Advertisement