Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Rainproof Gear

Options
  • 05-03-2017 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for waterproof overtrousers and backpack. Commuting between 20 mins to 40mins each way depending on routes. I cycle in to work very steady in my trousers shirt and tie and dont be sweaty give it a bit more gas on way home and swop into t shirt when i get to car. I need waterproof overtrousers which are light and breathable. I bought an expensive lightweight of specialized ones but in heavier rain they let in at the seams after 15 mins. Ill be returning them. Would spend about 100 for the right pair. Ive read gortex good. Also need backpack. Ideally completely waterproof but has some compartments rather than one big bag. Would spend 70ish on bag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Someone started a thread on gear during the week:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712970

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Cmon boardsies dont make me do my own research ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You'll sweat in proper waterproof gear (in my opinion_, even if you don't now. Get yourself a good bag or solution for carrying in your work clothes and cycle in, in clothes you are not worried about getting wet is my advice. I often cycle in in a cheap old t shirt and shorts, and then change into work gear when I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

For me (LIDL) cycling tights/top under a jacket/softshell & cotton shorts.

I don't care if they get wet, they are being changed when i arrive anyway. I keep suits & shoes in work and carry shirt, underwear, socks in backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You might be less sweaty if you switch from backpack to rack/pannier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Can't help with the trousers as I always wear lycra! This is the bag I have and find it really good

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/ortlieb-velocity/1098124/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=1122255&country=ie&gclid=CPmUwPb0yNICFW6x7Qod4KAEAg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can be found cheaper if you shop around a bit, mine was around 60 euro from Germany. It is all one storage area - no real sections inside apart from a small clip on pocket for phone/wallet etc, but that suits me. I was unsure of the fold top with a Velcro strap holding it, but it works really well and I have never got any sort of water ingress even with the bag fully stuffed to capacity. There are also hi-viz ones available which look black but glow when hit by car lights, but I got the yellow one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've used the Aldi commuting waterproofs, which were grand for my mainly downhill commute into work (didn't bother for the uphill back out).

I use the Aldi Pannier bags, which have a waterproof over cover (like you'd get on a hiking back pack), and had no water issues. Should be in the specials soon enough if you can wait.

Advertisement