Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris- Nice 2017 - Stage 1

Options
  • 05-03-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭

It is looking like Paris - Nice is going to get very interesting this week, with the peloton blown apart, several riders on the right side of the break, and a good number of the "favourites" stuck on the wrong side of it, seemingly unable to close the gap, and leaving the possibility of being a minute plus down after the first stage.

Anyone watching fancy sharing their thoughts? What way do you see it going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

On ES I presume? See if I can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

pelevin wrote: »
    On ES I presume? See if I can have a look.

ES2 now. Gap slowly coming down, but still 50 sec.

Looks like twas one of them brutal epic kind of stages! Very impressive by Demare there to match Alaphilippe(?spelling) on the climb & naturally enough take the sprint afterwards.

And that sets the scene for a very interesting week.

Demare from Alaphilippe in the sprint, the nearest GC contender 46 seconds down, and most GC riders about 1.05 down.

pelevin wrote: »
    Looks like twas one of them brutal epic kind of stages! Very impressive by Demare there to match Alaphilippe(?spelling) on the climb & naturally enough take the sprint afterwards.

Demare looked very comfortable at the end there. Good to see the two Frenchmen going for it at the end, and a very non bunch finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dan Martin mut have good chance of a podium here after today despite the TT...which is not that long and is hilly at the end

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Dan Martin mut have good chance of a podium here after today despite the TT...which is not that long and is hilly at the end

Dan is indeed well set up after today. The TT could be perfect for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

And that sets the scene for a very interesting week.

Demare from Alaphilippe in the sprint, the nearest GC contender 46 seconds down, and most GC riders about 1.05 down.

I think you are being a bit unfair to a few possible GC contenders, Dan is only at 9 seconds which gives him a bit of a cushion for the TT which is only 14.5km.

I would also have expected Henao and Gallopin to be in the shake up even before gaining an advantage today.

SkpmFeM.png

Must be great for Dan's self-esteem to look around a bunch like theirs must have been today at the front & see teammates like Gilbert & Kittel presumably all digging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bardet been booted out for taking a town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

neris wrote: »
    Bardet been booted out for taking a town
    And rightly so..Was watching the race live on Eurosport and have to say Bardet was unlucky with the crash but blatantly broke the rules in full view of the cameras. He had to go..Pity as he was in a great position to challenge for the overall. Fair play to the authorities banning one of their own. The racing was savage, a war of attrition..peloton splintered into echelons by crosswinds, riders being dropped off the front group over the last 10 kms. Dan Martin looks like he is getting stronger and rode a great race. ( bodes well for LBL) Demare was the strongest and still only 25 ? Alaphilippe's attack on the last climb looked like a winning move but Demare closed him down and was always going to win the 2 man sprint (he reminds me of a young Kelly) A second Milan San Remo looks possible for him and Kristoff will be there too. As for the big names later in the week ? The climb on Saturday at 1600m will probably decide the overall result and I think Dan has a podium chance.

cunavalos wrote: »
    I think you are being a bit unfair to a few possible GC contenders, Dan is only at 9 seconds which gives him a bit of a cushion for the TT which is only 14.5km.

I am quite possibly selling a few people, including Dan, short. The attitude on ES earlier wasn't so much that Dan was a contender, as he is now in contention for being on the right side of the split, and picking up a big jump on who they would have considered as being the GC favourites.

His result today though (+19 seconds after Demare got the 10 bonus seconds for the win) puts him in a good place, with the TT suiting his skillset. It will help make the week interesting, as the likes of Contador and Porte absolutely have to work now to eat up some time, or count their race as over already.

Advertisement