Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to move the grips on the handlebars ?

Options
  • 05-03-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a new bike recently and transferred the bar-ends from my old bike onto the new handlebars. As a the result the ends of the grips are now stretched out of shape to wrap around the bar ends, see the linked photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4QJxcxANtL2RktaMkNSZ0ZBeVE/view?usp=sharing
    I could cut the ends off the grips to make them fit better but ideally I would rather just shift them about 1cm along the handlebars to accommodate the bar-ends without cutting the grips. This is incredibly difficult though, there is too much friction between the grips and the handle bars, I cant even shift them by 1mm let alone 1cm. So I'm wondering is there some special technique to shift the grips ? I see grips for sale online so there must be some way of installing them if you buy a new set, how is it done ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moving is the same as removing them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips

PS: You can sign off as Oisin if you're going to use a gDocs link :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Try dipping each bar end in a jug/mug of boiling water for a few minutes. It may make them more pliable. (Looks like you'll have to move the shifters a bit also).

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Those rubber grips should just slide along, pushing a bit at a time.

If the outside end was not cut off, using air compressor to blow air in the small hole at end will get them on and off easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Take off the bar ends again.
    Get a knitting needle or a very slim screwdriver and put in in between the handlebar and the grip.
    Spray a bit of hairspray or alternatively, WD40 into the space you have created with the needle. Move the needle around a bit and the grip will move,guaranteed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

ED E wrote: »
    Moving is the same as removing them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips

PS: You can sign off as Oisin if you're going to use a gDocs link :pac:

I'm sceptical that this will work, I had already tried sliding a skewer between the grip and the handlebars, admittedly I didn't use any furniture polish but still the grips in the Wikihow article look more plasticy whereas mine are like silicone and hence lots of friction.

I'm curious, how did you extract the name from the gDocs link ? I can't see any identifier in the link itself, I had always assumed that the link was essentially a random string of characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Vizzy wrote: »
    Take off the bar ends again.
    Get a knitting needle or a very slim screwdriver and put in in between the handlebar and the grip.
    Spray a bit of hairspray or alternatively, WD40 into the space you have created with the needle. Move the needle around a bit and the grip will move,guaranteed:)

Washing up liquid and water works nicely here also and less likely to leave smelly or greasy residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Dip them one side at a time in boiling water for a few mins as above, it'll loosen the rubber and you can slide them up a bit. When they cool down completely they'll be tight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Always a hair dryer.
    Never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hair dryer as said. You could wrap them in an old rag and pour boiling water on that, so it soaks in and heats it, as dipping into a mug of hot water could be a pain.

I have also hammered them off.

aid56457-900px-Remove-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips-Step-3.jpg

see where his thumb is, you get a bit of wood and put it there resting up against the large flat area on the grip. How give the wood a tap of a hammer. Usually once it shifts a tiny bit it is far easier to pull off. If the handle bars are painted you could put masking tape down to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Skewer and work some solvent in, (white spirit, petrol, acetone etc). Hairspray will work but not as well as it evaporates too quickly (good for installing them though). Do not use wd-40 or anything with lubricant in it.

Btw are you sure that grip is fitted the right way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement