Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for mid run gels or food

Options
  • 05-03-2017 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm starting to run longer and faster this year - today for example I did 20km at 4:49 min/k average. (About as far and as fast as I can currently go).

I'm running about 5-6 times a week - averaging 50-60km a week and I do a long run at the weekend.

I eat a banana before heading out but I've yet to start refueling mid run but maybe I should because I tend to get zonked after the long run.

Usually the 4 or 5 hours after the run I've fit for nothing but lounging around the house - energy is just drained (This only really happens if I exceed say 16km so it just feels like I've under fueled).

So I'm looking for suggestions for gels or other ideas to take at maybe the 1 hr mark or shortly before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi PixelTrawler, that's a pretty normal response to long distance running/adaptation for the first time. It doesn't necessarily suggest that you need to take something on, mid-run. As long as you are not getting too dehydrated you should be ok. If anything, I would take some water (or stop for water), until you feel like you are suitably adapted and don't need to take on water either. You really shouldn't need gels to get you through a 20km training run. If you feel like you absolutely have to have something, bring some jelly babies, or a fig-roll or something similar. After your run rehydrate and eat some food as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Thats good to hear this is normal! Hopefully it is just adaption and I think hydration level is one thing I need to up.

My run is roughly a 10k loop so what I might do next time is leave a bottle of water by the car and take some on board half way through.

Never thought of actual jelly babies for quick sugar ;) Might leave them by the car also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Thats good to hear this is normal! Hopefully it is just adaption and I think hydration level is one thing I need to up.

My run is roughly a 10k loop so what I might do next time is leave a bottle of water by the car and take some on board half way through.

Never thought of actual jelly babies for quick sugar ;) Might leave them by the car also!

Keep in mind that you will get a better training response if you don't take on extra sugar because you are teaching the body to use its own reserves. In fact, I'd even ditch the pre-run banana. You should not need any fuel for 20k.

If you think you can't possibly get through a run without fueling then have something on hand just in case you really feel you need some energy but try to go through the run without.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Also, do you know why you are running these distances at that pace?

Because Im not very good! Im not training for anything in particular... getting older and looking to keep the pounds off and keep fit

• Advertisement

Keep in mind that you will get a better training response if you don't take on extra sugar because you are teaching the body to use its own reserves. In fact, I'd even ditch the pre-run banana. You should not need any fuel for 20k.

If you think you can't possibly get through a run without fueling then have something on hand just in case you really feel you need some energy but try to go through the run without.

Does it make any difference that im running first thing in the morning and the banana is the only thing consumed? If i eat nothing I would be running on last nights fuel.

Because Im not very good! Im not training for anything in particular... getting older and looking to keep the pounds off and keep fit

I'm not saying you're slow, I'm wondering why "About as far and as fast as I can currently go"?

It's good to have an idea of why you are doing a particular run - why this far, why this fast. It's unusual, outside a race, to run as fast as possible for the whole run.

Benchmarking myself basically. I like and enjoy running but I've no interest in actual races nor any interest in running with others (although I might give the parkrun a go up the road - I keep getting told they are good). So thats my "race" against myself...

Benchmarking myself basically. I like and enjoy running but I've no interest in actual races nor any interest in running with others (although I might give the parkrun a go up the road - I keep getting told they are good). So thats my "race" against myself...

Run a race against other people. You'll enjoy it.

And when you're not racing (or doing a specific session), slow down.

RayCun wrote: »
    Run a race against other people. You'll enjoy it.

And when you're not racing (or doing a specific session), slow down.

I've a friend whos big into running - hes always at me about doing park runs... maybe I should listen!

Thanks for the tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Does it make any difference that im running first thing in the morning and the banana is the only thing consumed? If i eat nothing I would be running on last nights fuel.

That's exactly what I have been doing for the last 10 years. Get up, run, have breakfast afterwards. I have a glass of water or two before I run but that's it. Give it a try, if that feels too daunting then bring some banana and/or other stuff.

Oh, and 20km at 4:49 min/k average is not slow by any means. That's a 1:41 half marathon, in training, by yourself! I know plenty of runners who are dreaming of running that fast in a race.

Btw, do not race your workouts.

That's exactly what I have been doing for the last 10 years. Get up, run, have breakfast afterwards. I have a glass of water or two before I run but that's it. Give it a try, if that feels too daunting then bring some banana and/or other stuff.

Oh, and 20km at 4:49 min/k average is not slow by any means. That's a 1:41 half marathon, in training, by yourself! I know plenty of runners who are dreaming of running that fast in a race.

Btw, do not race your workouts.

I never eat before the shorter runs - 10ks being my most common. Its just the longer runs I was feeling a big energy dip after - but as you guys say this is probably down to adaption.

I'll give it a try next time with no banana/breakfast before the run. I usually run listening to podcasts which is a lovely way to run. My frame of reference for times is a few other lads in my group in work and theres a few very good runners that are waaaay faster than me. They aint no spring chickens neither. So I "seem" very slow in comparison to them. They are all sub 3 hr full marathon runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What about a racing half?, unnecessary baggage or worthwhile?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement