Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magdalene Laundries in Sligo

Options
  • 05-03-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me where i can get information on the Magdalene Sligo laundry. is there a registry i can look at? Or a census?? My gran was there and would love to find out details of when she entered, and left and why she was released etc. She went in as a 14 yr old orphanin approx 1938-39. Have no details after that.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I dont think there was one in Sligo. The Nazareth house was the only orphanage back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Camogie2016

thank you. Was there any other work house in sligo???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to the Sligo forum. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

thank you. Was there any other work house in sligo???

It was where St. John's Hospital is now. As far as I know the old stones from the building were used for the walls of the Famine Graveyard.

There's more information on this site: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sligo/

Thanks a million 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think there may also have been an orphanage in the old Mercy Convent on Chapel Hill.
    No Magdalene laundry in Sligo that I am aware of.

Thank you. I was told it was a laundry in Sligo. Obviously the story had gotten mixed up over the years. Was the 30's after all. Do you happen to know if I can find records of women staying there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Would the records be in the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Theres a couple of nuns still left in Sligo so why not ring the convent and ask? Also ring the Nazareth House.

dingding wrote: »
    Would the records be in the census.

Thanks. That a great idea. Never thought of that!

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    Theres a couple of nuns still left in Sligo so why not ring the convent and ask? Also ring the Nazareth House.

Thank you. Do you think they would actually help me?? My father was stone walled when he rang before. But as he died, I don't know who exactly he rang.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Thank you. Do you think they would actually help me?? My father was stone walled when he rang before. But as he died, I don't know who exactly he rang.

I would give them a buzz and see what they say. Hopefully they will give the answer on what youre looking for.

Barbie! wrote: »
    Mod-Moved to the Sligo forum. Please read the local charter before posting.

Very sorry, first thread. Did not know what I was doing!! 😞

Vlove wrote: »
    I would give them a buzz and see what they say. Hopefully they will give the answer on what youre looking for.

Thanks! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

If you search the libraries website for.

SLIGO UNION BOARD OF GUARDIANS

In the search box on this website.

http://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/?lang=eng

This has a lot of records and documentation on the Sligo workhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

I have vague memories from the mid/late 1960s. I remember going to mass in St Anne's and where Dunne's is now there were a number of old buildings. Whilst not derelict they did not appear to be in use. I remember my late father telling me that it was part of the convent, but not in use.

Back in the late 1990s there was the 'States of Fear' programme and the Late Mary Rafferty also produced a book of the same name. I don't have the book to hand but I do recall in the index at the end that the Mercy Convent, Sligo was included. I can't remember if it was listed as a Industrial or Reformatory School (or is there even a difference?).

I don't recall, and never heard of, a Magdalene Laundry in Sligo but there may well have been one.

Whilst at St John's NS and Summerhill College, there were boys from The Nazareth House attending. I think that it was an orphanage rather than an Ind/Ref School. But at the time it was not something that was openly discussed. As school children at the time, and indeed a lot of parents, it was just accepted and you didn't question the Priests/Brothers/Nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishdaz80

There was a laundry on the Nuns hill in Sligo. St Anne’s lanudry. My dad was telling me about it. In the late fifties, early sixties he reckons.

Advertisement