Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden Allergic reaction to hair dye

Options
  • 05-03-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Hi

I turned 40 last year and all of a sudden I've started getting reactions when I dye my hair either at home or in the hairdressers. It also happened when I got the HD brows.

I tried an organic hair dye yesterday. Seemed ok going on but scalp was quite irritated afterwards. Washed it today and seems ok but would be wary to use again.

Would anyone have any recommendations of alternative hair dyes they have tried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

You've probably developed an allergy to the PPD in the colour. It can happen at any time, even after years of using the same products. Once you've developed a reaction, you have it for life and it will likely increase in severity.

Wella have a PPD free range (Innosense) but it contains a similar-ish chemical so you might still be allergic to it. You'd need to have a patch test, just in case.

Otherwise, you could try a semi permanent colour. You must still have a patch test as you could be allergic to any type of hair colour, but it's less likely with a true semi.

Stay away from organic type hair colours if you intend to try a professional salon colour as many of them contain metallic compounds that react very badly with pro hair colours and will cause hair breakage.

Advertisement