Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding video

Options
  • 05-03-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

What is the going rate for doing a wedding video?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Depends.

DVD / BluRay copies?
    Soft copies required?
    More than one angle (multipe cameras)?
    Audio or music dubbed over?
    For how long (ceremony / afters)?

Best bet is to ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

What is a soft copy?

Bob Z wrote: »
    What is a soft copy?

Hard copy would be a DVD / BluRay, soft copy is the file on a USB (typically .mp4).

me_irl wrote: »
    Depends.

DVD / BluRay copies?
    Soft copies required?
    More than one angle (multipe cameras)?
    Audio or music dubbed over?
    For how long (ceremony / afters)?

Best bet is to ring around.

I tried ringing around before but the answers I got were a bit cagey

Should I pretend I'm booking a wedding or be straight. They might not like the competition

I tried ringing around before but the answers I got were a bit cagey

Should I pretend I'm booking a wedding or be straight. They might not like the competition

Be straight admit that you're ringing around looking for quotes and ask what they offer. It's your decision as the customer to pick the best one, even if it's more expensive than a competitor it might be because they offer more.

Always asked to be emailed a detailed quote of their services or packages, to let you mull over and weigh up each.

• Advertisement

Be straight admit that you're ringing around looking for quotes and ask what they offer. It's your decision as the customer to pick the best one, even if it's more expensive than a competitor it might be because they offer more.

Always asked to be emailed a detailed quote of their services or packages, to let you mull over and weigh up each.

I've been asked to film the wedding sorry I should have made it clear

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its no meager task, if you arent familiar with the terms me_irl posted be cautious taking it on.

ED E wrote: »
    Its no meager task, if you arent familiar with the terms me_irl posted be cautious taking it on.

I done one years a ago on super vhs and I have done loads of filming and editing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

€1500 to €1750 for full day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

The going rate depends on how many are providing the service in your area.

A wedding video can be a complex operation, it can be fast paced and fluid, more difficult than photographing one, it's a live event, you only get one chance for most of it.
    You need the proper equipment and backup equipment for lights, cameras, batteries, audio devices memory cards etc.

If you have little experience of doing wedding vids you need to inform the couple of this, please don't charge top dollar unless you can produce excellent footage.

• Advertisement

Fionn wrote: »
    The going rate depends on how many are providing the service in your area.

A wedding video can be a complex operation, it can be fast paced and fluid, more difficult than photographing one, it's a live event, you only get one chance for most of it.
    You need the proper equipment and backup equipment for lights, cameras, batteries, audio devices memory cards etc.

If you have little experience of doing wedding vids you need to inform the couple of this, please don't charge top dollar unless you can produce excellent footage.
    I have loads of experience do video work but I have only done one wedding

I'm not being cheeky, but do you have a portfolio of your work?

When was the last time you worked a wedding?

Are you going to ADR (possibly through a boom), or does the couple want any audio (I know if it was me, I'd like to have some speech recorded in the venue).

Have you any lav mics or stationary (multiple preferably) cameras to capture the moment from various angles factoring in how the couple are lit too. Do you have enough SD cards to swap them out?

I'm not being cheeky, but do you have a portfolio of your work?

When was the last time you worked a wedding?

Are you going to ADR (possibly through a boom), or does the couple want any audio (I know if it was me, I'd like to have some speech recorded in the venue).

Have you any lav mics or stationary (multiple preferably) cameras to capture the moment from various angles factoring in how the couple are lit too. Do you have enough SD cards to swap them out?

No I don't have a portfolio because I never was asked for or needed one I have recorded loads of arts events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

And yet you didn't know what a soft copy was? :rolleyes:

No I don't have a portfolio because I never was asked for or needed one I have recorded loads of arts events

Have to admit that this confuses me. If you're in that line of work you really should have one set up to showcase your recordings. Even if it is a hobby.
    davo2001 wrote: »

It's a pretty specific term, I wouldn't assume everyone to know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

It's a pretty specific term, I wouldn't assume everyone to know it.

It's actually a VERY basic term and i would expect anyone willing to charge money for that type of service to know what it is.

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

How much do you charge for other events? Do the couple know you don't really do weddings? Have they specifically asked you because they want it done a bit cheaper than getting a proper wedding videographer? I think your best bet is to ask the couple exactly what they are expecting and how much they are hoping to pay for it. Then consider how much you expect to be paid for the number of hours work you see yourself putting in to it, and then see can you come to an arrangement with the couple.

It's actually a VERY basic term and i would expect anyone willing to charge money for that type of service to know what it is.

I guess it's only VERY basic for those who have been using it for x years. With relation to artistic types I wouldn't expect them to know what it meant. Nor would they assume that I knew everything about S-VHS.

never been asked before to do a soft copy i have done loads of work but its all through word of mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Right now, for me, €1250

€150 of that is used on Diesel, Product delivery and packaging and Music licencing

So, I walk away with €1100 before tax for the following

12 - 14 hour day shooting.

2 Hours Driving

40 Hours editing

I am a very audio driven Videographer. I'm a 3 camera shooter (2 DSLR and 1 Mirrorless) and for the above I'll deliver a 2 hour documentary edit of the day linear, 7 - 10 minutes non linear time shift highlight reel and a 60 second Instagram trailer.

I'm about 50% cheaper than those of a similar style as myself but don't have the balls to increase prices.................. yet.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »

Right now, for me, €1250

€150 of that is used on Diesel, Product delivery and packaging and Music licencing

So, I walk away with €1100 before tax for the following

12 - 14 hour day shooting.

2 Hours Driving

40 Hours editing

I am a very audio driven Videographer. I'm a 3 camera shooter (2 DSLR and 1 Mirrorless)  and for the above I'll deliver a 2 hour documentary edit of the day linear, 7 - 10 minutes non linear time shift highlight reel and a 60 second Instagram trailer.

I'm about 50% cheaper than those of a similar style as myself but don't have the balls to increase prices.................. yet.
    what do you put in the trailer? photos put to music?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

what do you put in the trailer? photos put to music?

No. Video with an extract of audio from the ceremony and or speeches with backing music. Short, sharp, get them in the feels and leave them wanting the full thing.

I'd absolutely suggest you ask a local Videographer if you can tag along and be their lacky for the day and do some research on others.

Don't film anybodys wedding ill prepared. They only have that chance once and so do you.

Advertisement