Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for mountain bike on btw scheme

Options
  • 05-03-2017 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi, want to get fit again. And used to like cycling..my work is in the bike to work scheme.
    Bikes have changed alot since twenty years ago when was last at them.
    Was looking for a.mountain type bike as north cork rds are horrendus for pot holes,floods,bad surface,stones etc..have a ten mile each way commute daily. Whats a good bike??
    Was looking at the giant brand in pi cycles mallow...anyone know are they good or is there better brands or dealers in cork kerry region.....any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's your budget?
    gravel bikes have popped up in the last few years, may be the ticket if you're not going offroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mountain bike will be hard going on roads for 10 miles. Have you considered a cyclocross / gravel bike? Advantages of a MTB (robust - will take wider tyres, but not too wide as to make cycling difficult) but lighter. Plus drop handlebars may give you more options. Some will also come with bike rack lugs - so fitting panniers etc won't be too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Neverheard of gravel bike. Will take a look. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Neverheard of gravel bike. Will take a look. Thanks

Depends a lot on your budget, a drop bar CX or gravel bike would be my first choice for heavily pot holed roads, so examples here; https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/cyclocross-bikes_c?sort=price_inc_vat Cheaper would be a mid range flat bar hybrid. Talk to your local shop and see what they've got, Giant make a huge range of bikes but are generally reliable at the low end and very good bikes at the high end. As others have said, a mountain bike will be a lot of extra work for no real benefit on even the worst paved roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Road bikes are very robust nowadays, don't get a mountain bike, just too heavy. Happy shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Road bikes are very robust nowadays, don't get a mountain bike, just too heavy. Happy shopping

What sort of mountain bikes have you been cycling? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lemming wrote: »
    What sort of mountain bikes have you been cycling? :pac:

currently an enduro, jobage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    currently an enduro, jobage! :)

I don't think he needs an enduro beastie as tempting as they may be :p

Now, if you will all excuse me I'm off to dribble over photos of ludicrously expensive Intense bikes. Also with apologies for my completely unhelpful and off-topic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Gravel / Adventure / cyclocross bikes are bikes that look like traditional road bikes but have bigger tyres and are suited for rough roads, or even forest trails. They have larger tyres than a traditional road bike.

In the past a mountain bike could be used on the road. But most are now designed for off-road as that has taken off as a sport.

Hybrids are also an option. Do you prefer to sit more upright?

Best advice is to get down to a local shop and ask for their advice. Take your time, dont make any decision on day 1, come back another day. Once they know that you are doing the B2W scheme with them, they should be happy going through the choices with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Good advice, thanks everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement