Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 24 (2017)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

sonofenoch wrote: »
    It was an open track day .....most of those supercars were probably been driven by someone not capable of getting even half of what they can do......put someone like the Stig in one of those and it's not even a contest
    If they're locals at nordschleife with porsches my guess is they probably know the place pretty well.

I just found it all a bit disingenuous, I know top gear do skit pieces where they make out a car is much better than it is because the presenter likes that particular car but this was presented more as an informative piece and it was giving extremely biased information. I bet VW was delighted with it, they're car couldn't have been shown in a better light.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rather tasty looking Merc we were told nothing about,all we found out about the Aston Martin was that Matt Le Blanc can spin its wheels.

kneemos wrote: »
    Rather tasty looking Merc we were told nothing about,all we found out about the Aston Martin was that Matt Le Blanc can spin its wheels.
    I wonder can Matt actually drift of is he like Hammond was and it's all stunt men and quick editing? I don't think they ever really show him drifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

ScumLord wrote: »
    If they're locals at nordschleife with porsches my guess is they probably know the place pretty well.

I just found it all a bit disingenuous, I know top gear do skit pieces where they make out a car is much better than it is because the presenter likes that particular car but this was presented more as an informative piece and it was giving extremely biased information. I bet VW was delighted with it, they're car couldn't have been shown in a better light.

On Touristfarhten days the 'Ring is basically a public road and normal traffic laws apply, i.e. keep to the right and overtake on the left, it is not at all like a 'normal' track day. The etiquette for when traffic is approaching from behind is to move right and back off to allow them to pass, so what was shown was not necessarily a set up.

Anjobe wrote: »
    On Touristfarhten days the 'Ring is basically a public road and normal traffic laws apply, i.e. keep to the right and overtake on the left, it is not at all like a 'normal' track day. The etiquette for when traffic is approaching from behind is to move right and back off to allow them to pass, so what was shown was not necessarily a set up.
    But we know it was a setup, it's a TV show after all. You can't put in a fast lap of the nords if there's a camera truck in front filming you. It wasn't in sequence, so at one point it showed near the end of the track, then we're back near the beginning in the next shot.

Looking at lap times it is possible that Sabine could do that, but that piece probably should have been a bigger thing then. The way it was it was a throw away incredible act and they move on. Sabine works for a company that does fast taxi rides of the ring, they have a few cars and drivers and I'm almost sure one of the cars she passed out was one of those taxis.

Sabine is amazing but she's not the only person who can put in a fast lap there, from videos I've seen of her driving she's an exciting fearless driver, but not necessarily the outright fastest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Have watched the first two episodes of this series and I'm really liking it. Yes there's still some painfully obvious scripting, but it's not as cringeworthy as with C/H/M. Speaking of which, I've kinda given up on the Grand Tour. The beach buggy episodes were the last I watched and could have easily been an old Top Gear episode with a different landscape superimposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's not as good as CHM at their peak, but let's face it, they were long past their peak when they left (aside from the always wonderful specials) but so far, I'm preferring this season of Top Gear to the first of The Grand Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The films this week were excellent overall, even the star lap naration was toned down somewhat, but the studio segments were still a bit hit and miss.

I doubt we will ever see peak CHM again, but this is finding its own style and i like what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I am quite enjoying this series. It must be remembered that old-new Top Gear magic kind of happened organically as the 3 presenters built up a genuine friendship in which the childish bickering and laddish banter featured quite naturally, and then the shows were obviously written to take advantage of that. It will be next to impossible to recreate that dynamic with different presenters, but there is the glimmering of a genuine rapport between CH and MLB. CH needs to calm down and bit and it would be good if MLB was a bit more enthusiastic/less laid back but there is promise. Sabine was no presenter but she's great for the lunatic driving segments. RR still seems to be a bit of a spare wheel though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

* CH needs to calm down a bit

* RR still seems to be a bit of a spare wheel though.

And they seemed very promising last season with us wanting to see more of these 2. Maybe it was better to give them a chance to develop into the show.

• Advertisement

but there is the glimmering of a genuine rapport between CH and MLB. CH needs to calm down and bit and it would be good if MLB was a bit more enthusiastic/less laid back but there is promise.
    I thought Chris seemed more relaxed in this show. He seems to be settling down each episode.

That last episode was a good show that I'd have no problem watching.

I think they need more episodes, I don't think they can just do 8 episodes like Clarkson and co could. They need to build up the relationship, if we only see them 8 times a year they'll end up forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Considering how few episodes they have done I think they are doing a fine job. The studio segments while not perfect seem less forced compared to episode 1. Also no sign of Eddie Jordan this year either which is a massive bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Dubai skit was Top Gear at it's best, been done many times but they didn't drop the ball on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

lertsnim wrote: »
    Also no sign of Eddie Jordan this year either which is a massive bonus.
    Um ... don't watch tonight's episode, then ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

That hammer racing in tonight's episode was mad!! I'd love to see it on telly..

bnt wrote: »
    Um ... don't watch tonight's episode, then ...
    I think that was the best use of Eddie I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think that was the best use of Eddie I've seen so far.

Did they fire him in to a caravan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

never realised eddie jordan is so short

kinda looks like john lennon in his old age

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Did they fire him in to a caravan ?
    No, they treated him like the annoying uncle nobody wants to be stuck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think the 'Star in a reasonably fast car' segment works best when the celeb actually has an interest in motoring.

Tinie Tempah in episode 4 was relatively enjoyable because of this, whereas episode 3 with the actress (can't remember her name) wasn't good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It was enjoyable this week too for that same reason, Chris Hoy actually likes cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

lertsnim wrote: »
    It was enjoyable this week too for that same reason, Chris Hoy actually likes cars.

Yeah I just watched that episode tonight, he was probably the best guest so far, mostly because of his experience with cars and driving.

Also I can't see anyone beating his lap anytime soon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Material Handler bowling was cool, Cuba was good, Harris is now the weakest presenter but its just a case of him easing into the role fully his more 'ad lib' moments worked better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Cuba didn't close itself off from the world, crippling sanctions were placed on it instead. I didn't like that factual inaccuracy.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Material Handler bowling was cool, Cuba was good, Harris is now the weakest presenter but its just a case of him easing into the role fully his more 'ad lib' moments worked better
    He's still putting up "reviews" online either on the TG youtube page or their own website that are more in line with his old style of reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ssanyong Rodius ... When I read about it some years ago, I had some trouble believing that it actually existed as a car, but apparently it does. Even the name sounds like something out of bad sci-fi. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Very enjoyable episode. I thought the series was excellent and a par above the first grand tour series. The presenters all seem to work well together and it can be genuinely funny. I hope they build on this and keep it up for the next.

Less JK though, he was such a nob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Gru wrote: »
    Very enjoyable episode. I thought the series was excellent and a par above the first grand tour series. The presenters all seem to work well together and it can be genuinely funny. I hope they build on this and keep it up for the next.

Less JK though, he was such a nob.

Agree with most including JK, TWAT. The rodius thing was done before, Toyboata.... On a better scale and working, but done before, even the review, remember the Electric car the boys done, reviewed by a car mag.

But mush better series than last, improved since Evans left. Bit more gelling with the presenters, Harris might need some presenting classes and the show will improve.

That series started good and got better as it went along, I think the trio are building up a good rapport and producing much better content.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse than the grand tour, it's different, the two have different personalities driving the show and I like both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Watched it again recently and I have to say I like the new energy of the presenters. Nice guys who genuinely love cars.

Advertisement