Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help...timber vs block??

• 05-03-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there

We are currently weighing up options in terms of building a house before we apply for a mortgage. What we are wondering is there a price difference between timber frame houses and block built houses? I understand that timber frame houses are warmer and more air tight etc but block houses would be much better for sound proof. A house of 1600-1800 sq ft bungalow is what we have in mind. In terms of doing some work myself i would be able do the internal slabbing, tiling, carpentry, painting and all external ground work. That leaves foundation, the structure of the house, block work, roofing, plastering, plumbing, electrics as the big costs.

Any help or advice would be greatly appriecated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Ferg123 wrote: »
    I understand that timber frame houses are warmer and more air tight

No so sure about that, they are marketed like to be so, but I wouldnt agree.

These days block built are pretty warm and airtight.

For what you pay for a TFH you dont get much compared to a few blocks and a roof.

Would recommend a block built house.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Hi Ferg, I'm gonna jump into this thread too to hear people's answers.
    Quite simply, that we're also about to approach a 2500 sq ft block built house and budgets are tight. It has been suggested to us that timber frame should be looked into as an alternative, as it is much more cost effective and quicker to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62172398
    Interesting slant on cost of TF, albeit this was 8 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ferg123

It's hard to know which is better. Even a 1500 sq ft house would be good enough size but it will all come down to cost at the end of the day

Advertisement