Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite area in Dublin...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Manys a night I spent sleeping in a rigid Hino with a fridge body in Smithfield. Well, when I say sleeping, I mean keeping your eyes open with matchsticks so the scobies wouldn't get in your back door. I'll tell you this, pulling into Fat Pat's carpark for a breakfast in the morning was like entering the Pearly Gates themselves.

So my favourite part of Dublin is The Ward. Hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Costa Muro del Toros

Manys a night I spent sleeping in a rigid Hino with a fridge body in Smithfield.

Translation? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Dublin airport :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its in Bray, co. Dublin. I've been there for 6 years, at this stage I know where I live.

Well Im sure your right then.

So, if you are in Woodbrook, Corke Abbey, Connawood, Old Connaght Avenue or Cois Cairn I stand corrected....but you are not in Bray.

You are in "Little Bray". Which is not "Bray".

Just like the Little Sugaoaf is not the Great Sugarloaf.

Is the "best breakfast" place still there? False advertising...pudding is ****.

TIL a lot about Bray.

Candie wrote: »
    TIL a lot about Bray.

"Little Bray" Candie, "Little Bray".

Boggers gonna' Bog!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Surfgal wrote: »
    The leafier side of Raheny. I used to live in a non leafy part and loved the general area. Nice village, close to beach, park, on dart line so short hop to city and Malahide/Howth. I've many happy memories of walks on Dollymount in the winter months and even managed to surf there once ��

I bought in the non leafy side last year, probably the last available house I was ever going to be able to afford in this area, so I couldn't be happier with it. Having the dart and the sea and St Anne's and the airport (relatively speaking) near your gaf is pretty damn baller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

TIL a lot about Bray.

Apparently it is a very geographically confused area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Translation? :)
    A fish lorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think there are different things to like.

The cliff path in Howth.

The top of Killiney Hill.

The Marino housing estate.

Oxmanstown or Mount Drummond Avenue houses.

Carnegie Libraries and re-purposed tram depots.

Foster Place South - away from the hustle and bustle, but 50 metres from College Green.

Georges Street Market.

Iveagh Flats.

The Magazine Fort in the Phoenix Park.

Grangegorman (road).

Royal Canal Bank Park in Phibsborough.

Side streets off side streets off side streets in Portobello.

The unnamed village that is Dunville Avenue.

Random back lanes with car repair garages, beauticians, ladder shops and art deco electrical substations.
    humberklog wrote: »
    Favourite place I did live was Merrion Sq. in the 90's when I was in my mid 20's. I lived (or was I dead?) in 65 South, the same place Schrodinger lived.
    Was 65 the one that caught fire?

A friend's mother collected autographs and she got one from Schrödinger. He sent her his private number and suggested she drop by if she was ever in Dublin...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I prefer Medium Bray myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Surfgal wrote: »
    The leafier side of Raheny. I used to live in a non leafy part and loved the general area. Nice village, close to beach, park, on dart line so short hop to city and Malahide/Howth. I've many happy memories of walks on Dollymount in the winter months and even managed to surf there once 😀

Where is the leafier side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Where is the leafier side.

The right side of the tracks. (Ie East).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Lt Dan wrote: »
    So do fans of dogging. I hear there are some right freaks up in the park at night. Great park though. Remarkable how huge it is

Funny thats what they say when I'm up there dogging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Academic wrote: »
    Ah, pubs is it? Then on Baggot Street I'd also mention Doheny & Nesbitt and, my favorite on that street, Toner's.

Well if we are talking pubs, the Chop House down from Lansdowne Rd isn't bad. Great wee Italian Cafe down the road from there as well.

Sorry, other than the Motorway and the Airport, my favourite places revolve around and includes Lansdowne Road and Croke Park.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Lived in a flat with no central heating on Lwr Baggot Street (Stephens Green end) for nearly 4 years in the '90s, best address in Dublin. Pop downstairs to Jones' Deli for the coffee and rashers (the breakfast roll was invented in 2002, somewhere on the Long Mile road), stroll across the road to Doheny's for a swift half and the crossword before meeting the lads at O'Neills, walk home from The Gigs Spot after a night out in Major Tom's/Whelans/O'Dwyers. I had a choice of two Tesco's, a chinese, kebab house, and a pizzaria all within walking distance, also one of the few 24 hr shops down the street, if I had someone to make breakfast for on a Sunday morning or if the cupboard was bare.

The weekends that there were rugby internationals were great, especially the Scottish matches. I'd open up the ancient sash windows to watch them head down to Landsdowne, and sing with them afterwards in The Baggot Inn, Toners or Larry Murphys. Would head to O'Donaghues on Sunday evenings to wind up the yanks ("what part of Canada are ye from?").

Saw fellas fighting, hookers hooking, lovers love-making, political protests, political intrigues, women's mini-marathons, football riots, regular rear ending taxis, bus crashes, drug dealing, drug busts and arrests and whole of humanity from my third floor parapet, all for £90 a month. I lived in Dublin for 4 years without taking a taxi - surely that is a record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Victor wrote: »
    I think there are different things to like.

The cliff path in Howth.

The top of Killiney Hill.

The Marino housing estate.

Oxmanstown or Mount Drummond Avenue houses.

Carnegie Libraries and re-purposed tram depots.

Foster Place South - away from the hustle and bustle, but 50 metres from College Green.

Georges Street Market.

Iveagh Flats.

The Magazine Fort in the Phoenix Park.

Grangegorman (road).

Royal Canal Bank Park in Phibsborough.

Side streets off side streets off side streets in Portobello.

The unnamed village that is Dunville Avenue.

Random back lanes with car repair garages, beauticians, ladder shops and art deco electrical substations.

Was 65 the one that caught fire?

A friend's mother collected autographs and she got one from Schrödinger. He sent her his private number and suggested she drop by if she was ever in Dublin...

Lovely post. Brought me back to various stages of my life in Dublin. I've seen all those locations. However, I grew up in South, North and West Dublin in the massed produced housing by (OLD DESCRIPTIONS) Dublin Corporation and Dublin County Council. While we need more of what poverty stricken Ireland did in housing terms, with a little more eye on the detail, I always loved escaping to Skerries in the summer to a mobile home. So if I could live in Skerries in 1983 and dive into the captains, play snooker in the old cinema, arcade games in the old amusements or collect fish from the harbour, that would be my ideal place to live. Sadly we can't live in the past. While Skerries is still a lovely place, its perhaps far too disconnected from my memories of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bohernabreena and Ballinascorney. Fantastic isolation and a valley that is just magical when the sun shines. Plus you get a savage workout getting up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I prefer Medium Bray myself.

Medium Bray Dublin or medium Bray Wicklow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Rathgar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

annascott wrote: »
    Rathgar.

https://youtu.be/05az82BAx8w

Jimmy O'Dea, 'Thank heavens we are living in Rathgar'*

*note, I don't! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Smithfield/Stoneybatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Kilbarrack - Working class area, polite well behaved kids, 20 minutes into town, decent local pub and chipper, fantastic neigbours. Literally everything from somewhere to sit out and drink cans to a fecking yacht club within shouting distance and a 4 bed semi for under 300K.

Delighted was the understatement of 2015 for me and the wife.

Some of the most decent people I've ever met have been from Kilbarrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Dun Laoghaire piers and the Sunday Market in the People's Park out there. I also love getting the DART out from the city mid-morning on a sunny day - there's nothing like that view when the buildings vanish and you're suddenly out on the Bay (I think it's just after the Sydney Parade stop).

George's St Arcade and all the surrounding streets (Sth William, Exchequer, Wicklow, Drury). Between 2 different jobs, I spent 4 years in that cluster of streets - I know all the little coffee shops very well...

Montpelier Hill/ Hellfire Club for the views and the cafe halfway up.

Docklands, specifically Mayor Square & Grand Canal Square. I'd love to live around there for a while if I could ever afford it.

Looking down towards the port from Millenium Bridge at night when all the other bridges are lit up and you can see the next 4 bridges reflected in the water in perfect symmetry.

Oh and I was in Skerries for the first time last summer on one of the hot days - I'd definitely like to go back there, it was lovely that evening. Made me feel like I was on holiday, despite only travelling 30min away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I like Glasnevin for the cemetery and the botantical gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Cabinteely/Foxrock/Deansgrange/Cornelscourt area is a good area to live in where I live presently good choice of bus routes with 145 and 46a for going into town. 75 and 63 reliable enough for local journeys. Luas and m50 not a million miles away either.

Good local community but not where everyone knows your buisness but neither does everyone hate each other. Good local amenities in terms of shops, restaurants, parks etc.

Other than that I like Donnybrook and Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Always liked Chapelizod for some reason, especially the quieter part around Martins Row/Knockmaroon Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Cluain Tarbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Smithfield/Stoneybatter

Stoneybatter definitely. It is good to see that the Youth Hostel in Smithfield brought much needed life to Smithfield. Some decent places to eat now, and the pubs around the area are good. Less scum bags around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well Im sure your right then.

So, if you are in Woodbrook, Corke Abbey, Connawood, Old Connaght Avenue or Cois Cairn I stand corrected....but you are not in Bray.

You are in "Little Bray". Which is not "Bray".

Just like the Little Sugaoaf is not the Great Sugarloaf.

Is the "best breakfast" place still there? False advertising...pudding is ****.

The Little Sugarloaf is not the Great Sugarloaf because they are 2 separate things.

Little Bray is in Bray. When post is sent to me its sent to Bray, Co. Dublin. No mention of Little Bray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Oh get over the Bray thing lads! This is a nice thread for a change, let's not ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have just tuned in for the latest in the infinitesimal Bray boundaries debate.

Can somebody tell me where we're at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

There is a man out with a measuring tape trying to settle this once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sandycove/Glasthule/Dalkey

It turns out that Little Bray isn't in Big Bray but it's still Bray.

Medium Bray is the overlooked ginger middle child of all the Brays, not even getting a mention.

keano_afc wrote: »
    The Little Sugarloaf is not the Great Sugarloaf because they are 2 separate things.

Little Bray is in Bray. When post is sent to me its sent to Bray, Co. Dublin. No mention of Little Bray.

Quiet Wicklonian!

No more of your insubordination lest ye be cast among the pigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I travel the Dart every day and I never tire of the view around Killiney Bay. Especially going southbound with the views of Bray Head and the 2 Sugarloaf Mounains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Mods can you retitles the Op as your favorite place in Bray, thanks :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Where is Bray? would be more apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

pilly wrote: »
    Where is Bray? would be more apt.

Or "which is your favourite Bray?"

I do feel a bit sh*t for people who paid more for their gaf to have a dublin address.....but still live in Bray.

Bless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Next person to say 'Bray' has to move to Bray :mad:

Peregrine wrote: »
    Next person to say 'Bray' has to move to Bray :mad:

The Fada.

My favourite place in Bray is Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I do feel a bit sh*t for people who paid more for their gaf to have a dublin address.....but still live in Bray.

Bless.

Like the people who paid a fortune for a Killiney address, but live in Ballybrack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Like the people who paid a fortune for a Killiney address, but live in Ballybrack?

Technically it is killiney, technically.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sandycove/Glasthule/Dalkey
    Yeah Dalkey village is nice and quaint. Ranelagh is also a good spot, just outside of the city center (Luas passes thru it also) and has 20 or even 30 restaurants and several pubs and is the home of Ranelagh Gaels the greatest GAA club in the world !!!

Advertisement