Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite area in Dublin...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Peregrine wrote: »
    Next person to say 'Bray' has to move to Bray :mad:

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Like the people who paid a fortune for a Killiney address, but live in Ballybrack?

Exackly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

Harolds Cross - close enough to Rathmines and Ranelagh (for nights out/food) and a bit quieter. Nice community feel still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Around by Mount Street Bridge, the history combined with the beautiful scenery of the Grand Canal. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Glencullen is nice for a pint, some great scenery from it into the Wicklow mountains.

IMG_8885.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Peregrine wrote: »
    Next person to say 'Bray' has to move to Bray :mad:

Little Bray or Big Bray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Glencullen is nice for a pint, some great scenery from it into the Wicklow mountains.

IMG_8885.jpg

Very handy for public transport with the super high frequency 44b serving it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

seapoint

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Does the airport count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I bet most people posting here haven't been to most places in Dublin. Driving through doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Like the people who paid a fortune for a Killiney address, but live in Ballybrack?

Like the Watsons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The bay as a playground, particularly the Bull Island and Ireland's eye. Amazing wildlife sanctuaries minutes from the city centre where you can get up close and personal with large mammals. The parks, particularly St. Annes in Raheny and the Phoenix park along with Howth head, Killiney hill and the Dublin mountains holding great attraction to the outdoors person.

I'm having a peculiar love affair with Capel St., the most interesting street in the city offering a mad mish-mash of shops and eateries. I can buy the best car wax for cheap and go for excellent, cheap sushi afterwards and pick up the best exotic ingredients for half nothing on the way home.
    The creative quarter still gets me. Some of the best food, drinks and cocktails served by the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic people in the country along with the option of steak and chips for a tenner.

The museums and galleries are amazing. Welcoming, (mostly) free, sanctuaries without the high-brow snobbery one might feel in paying venues with helpful people willing to share knowledge. Addictive avenues to our heritage and evolving culture.

Overall, my experiences as a Dubliner of living in the capital is one of a clean, vibrant, cultural city, pulsating with energy, life and friendliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Thomas Street heading towards Trinity and College Green.

Vibrant area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I love Dublin. It's one of my favourite cities to fly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I really love St Stephens Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

zetalambda wrote: »
    I love Dublin. It's one of my favourite cities to fly over.

Someone hold my sides :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Not sure if this counts as "too far" - Royal Canal Greenway between lock 11 & 12. It's always majestic to walk by the canal over the M50 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Going to add Howth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

yannakis wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts as "too far" - Royal Canal Greenway between lock 11 & 12. It's always majestic to walk by the canal over the M50 :)

I'd love to do this. Tracks and Trails had Annalise Murphy and her mum walking this last week. It looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Maynooths in Kildare, not Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

lawred2 wrote: »
    Going to add Howth

just what I was about to say.. some of my best memories of Dublin is when I spent time in Howth, I also like Dun Laoghaire because I was born there, and go back for a look now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There are some nice parts. Dun Laoghaire is one of my favourite places around and the other towns on the southside of Dublin Bay are also pretty nice. I love walking around down by the coast there.

I studied in DIT Aungier Street so know the area around the Liberties, Inchicore, Rathgar and Terenure pretty well. That was a nice place too.

While Dublin gets a lot of stick, it is a nice place and even the worst of the worst is not as bad as places you find around the world, even in other parts of Western Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

My favourite area in Dublin is the road out of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

I've lived in Dublin my whole life, worked and visited all these places listed and never took a moment to appreciate it.

Reading what is listed here makes me want to stop for a moment and enjoy it, as it seems others here are seeing something I haven't seen before.

I currently live close to Chapelizod myself and work in Ranelagh but never occurred to me to just stop and look around.
    I'll change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Neyite wrote: »
    The road out of it :D
    My favourite area in Dublin is the road out of Dublin.

The old ones are the best:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I always loved the South Circular Road/Harolds Cross Area. All the side streets had lovely red-brick houses and walking down along the canal there on a Summer's Day made me feel perfectly happy. Me and the wife lived off Leinster Road in Rathmines for many a year and it was a gorgeous area around there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The airport or the road out of it. Joking....

Don't like the city centre, and don't like Rathmines, which is full of cliches (gentrified music festival fans, and they always like LCD Soundsystem and cycle bikes with baskets) ;P

Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey are ok. It's a pity cheap Celtic Tiger quality eyesore buildings blight the suburbs.

Green Mile wrote: »
    I've lived in Dublin my whole life, worked and visited all these places listed and never took a moment to appreciate it.

Reading what is listed here makes me want to stop for a moment and enjoy it, as it seems others here are seeing something I haven't seen before.

I currently live close to Chapelizod myself and work in Ranelagh but never occurred to me to just stop and look around.
    I'll change that.

I live somewhere people come on holidays, but usually all I notice is traffic and hassle. Every now and then I'll look around and see it with new eyes; it's too easy to become immune to your surroundings and not appreciate what you have around you.

I'm a Londoner and do nothing but complain about crowds and traffic and tourists when I'm there, but when I haven't been back for a while it's walks on the Embankment or the Houses of Parliament against the night sky, or Hyde Park in the autumn that'll spring to mind, and I'll wonder why I don't appreciate these things more when I'm there.

I love Dublin, I lived there for years and there are areas, streets, little corners and angles of the place that I think of the odd time and it makes me homesick for it. Autumn leaves in the gutter on the road I used to live, the building with the old leaded windows near my old primary school, the bustling view down Grafton Street from the corner of Stephens Green, the first look at Trinity when you emerge out of Temple Bar to Dame Street, that arch of Christchurch when you're on the Dame Street side, and creaking across the bridge from Tara Street to Connolly on the DART, checking out that days color of the Liffey. I hope I've remembered all the names right.

Every city has it's sore spots - I think O'Connell Street is a disgrace for the city's main drag and I can only assume people were bribed into allowing some of those shop fronts, but Dublin has a charm and atmosphere in spite of the challenges. Small enough to walk around, big enough to get lost in, and close enough to open country to escape from, it's a great little City.

If only it didn't rain so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

The war memorial gardens in Islandbridge. Best park in Dublin. Lovely walk by the river watching the rowers at the weekend, well tended park and the the lovely memorial area itself. Never too crowded, just a great place to spend an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The popes cross.

That big wide open space is heaven. You can walk there and not have another person within a mile of you. That's my idea of heavaen at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I absolutely love Howth, if I'd only have the cash. Do like the Clontarf area too, but I love Marino. Friends live there in a terraced and it's such a nice neighborhood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The popes cross.

That big wide open space is heaven. You can walk there and not have another person within a mile of you. That's my idea of heavaen at least

Why is he cross?
    Did you annoy him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Howth is amazing.

Quite fond of our own little part of it too (Portrane): two beaches, a pub, a chipper, an old-school general store that sells everything and anything and a mental hospital for when it all becomes too much!

What more would you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think Howth is overrated tbh there are some nice walks with nice views but the village itself dosent seem to have very much in it. It has a bit of derelict feel to me, it could be much nicer if they gave the place a coat of paint and they modernised the place a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I think Howth is overrated tbh there are some nice walks with nice views but the village itself dosent seem to have very much in it. It has a bit of derelict feel to me, it could be much nicer if they gave the place a coat of paint and they modernised the place a bit.

For me that makes Howth somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lived in a flat with no central heating on Lwr Baggot Street (Stephens Green end) for nearly 4 years in the '90s, best address in Dublin. Pop downstairs to Jones' Deli for the coffee and rashers (the breakfast roll was invented in 2002, somewhere on the Long Mile road), stroll across the road to Doheny's for a swift half and the crossword before meeting the lads at O'Neills, walk home from The Gigs Spot after a night out in Major Tom's/Whelans/O'Dwyers. I had a choice of two Tesco's, a chinese, kebab house, and a pizzaria all within walking distance, also one of the few 24 hr shops down the street, if I had someone to make breakfast for on a Sunday morning or if the cupboard was bare.

The weekends that there were rugby internationals were great, especially the Scottish matches. I'd open up the ancient sash windows to watch them head down to Landsdowne, and sing with them afterwards in The Baggot Inn, Toners or Larry Murphys. Would head to O'Donaghues on Sunday evenings to wind up the yanks ("what part of Canada are ye from?").

Saw fellas fighting, hookers hooking, lovers love-making, political protests, political intrigues, women's mini-marathons, football riots, regular rear ending taxis, bus crashes, drug dealing, drug busts and arrests and whole of humanity from my third floor parapet, all for £90 a month. I lived in Dublin for 4 years without taking a taxi - surely that is a record?

Anyone else find themselves reading this in Ewan McGregor's accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Blackrock. Has nearly everything, and can easily reach everything else.

Unspoilt architecture and an authentic Main Street, a real urban village.

Fresh sea air and seawater bathing in summer. Right on the Dart. Library, bookshops, great restaurants and lots of bracing walks.

Oh, and property prices fit for millionaires only, but hey, daydreams! If I won the lottery, I'd move to Blackrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I'll nominate the area of old Dublin around Fishamble st/Dublinia/Christchurch.

Even though you get tourists, its not as crowded as Trinity, Dublin Castle has some really nice peaceful grounds and the Chester Beatty Library nearby. Also Christchurch, St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublinia. I used to quite enjoy sitting in the Bull and Castle pub (until they destroyed it) and looking over the crazy junction in front of Christchurch with a craft beer in hand (long before craft beers were a thing) watching the traffic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Three areas actually - Howth, Dalkey and Chapelizod. All oozing character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Killiney, especially around the south west side of the hill. If my career as a Thanks Whore ever takes off and they start paying big for daft posts almost no one understands, and fewer agree with, I'm buying Enyas castle and chucking her out on her ear. The views out over that bay are stunning. It's an hour and a half drive from here to there, but I still used to drag the kids there every weekend I could.

If Enya hadn't got that barring order, we'd probably still be going too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Howth and Malahide on the north side, dalkey and killiney on the south side. Never lived in any of them.

Nicest place I've lived would be templeogue.

Like living in the countryside with good facilities and only 20 minutes to the city centre. 5 minutes to the M50 for the quick escape also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Oh, and property prices fit for millionaires only, but hey, daydreams! If I won the lottery, I'd move to Blackrock.

I'd just move to a warmer country if I won the lotto. A mansion is no good when you're looking out at the rain !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Not for everyone but Ive always had a soft spot for Loughshinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tallaaaaaahhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Skerries and Loughshinny for me. Skerries is a beautiful town. I rate it higher then Malahide and Loughshinny is so peaceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

My favourite  area in Dublin  is the road out of Dublin.
    Lose the chip. :getlost:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I love the walk out the Pigeon House Road,all the way past The Half Moon and on to The Red Lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I've lived in loads of areas in Dublin over the years, but my favourite was Ringsend/Irishtown. A short hop into town, but always felt like a real local community, despite Airbnb and Google moving into the surrounding area. Great local boozers, rowing clubs, maritime tradition etc. Some rough and ready characters around the place, but never dodgy. Walks out to Poolbeg, South Wall, Sandymount Strand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

yannakis wrote: »

I walked that today. It's such a weird thing to walk past this tiny old little bridge in the middle of a motorway spaghetti junction and then suddenly find yourself beside a canal on a bridge over a busy motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Blackrock. Has nearly everything, and can easily reach everything else.

Unspoilt architecture and an authentic Main Street, a real urban village.

Fresh sea air and seawater bathing in summer. Right on the Dart. Library, bookshops, great restaurants and lots of bracing walks.

Whenever I think of Blackrock, I see that big bypass carved through it with the ugly 70's office blocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement