Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house but Windows not on plans

Options
  • 05-03-2017 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭

Quick question here. I'm looking at buying a house and have gone sale agreed on the property.

There are 4 velux windows on the rear roof of the house which are not on the plans. Will this become an issue for planning, are they as the estate agent claims allowable. There is no stairs installed so its not usable space other than as an attic.

We're hoping to avoid delays in the sale.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Velux to the rear are Planning exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

kceire wrote: »
    Velux to the rear are Planning exempt.

And that answers that. If we were to install a stairs but use the attic for storage is that still exempt?

Basically there is a huge attic area with futire conversion potential but for the foreseeable future I'd just like to put the stairs in and use it for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ba_barabus wrote: »
    And that answers that. If we were to install a stairs but use the attic for storage is that still exempt?

Basically there is a huge attic area with futire conversion potential but for the foreseeable future I'd just like to put the stairs in and use it for storage.

Not 100% on stairs as there are building regulations for them going to an attic if you intend to convert at a later time, no point in spending big money till you need to. But an attic ladder is definitely OK and acceptable for storage use. Stira or plenty of other manufacturers available.

http://www.stira.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd go for a folding ladder as you won't loose any space. Also a lot easier to do compared to putting in a stairs.

With the current layout a stairgre wont work as its not just an entrance hatch in the ceiling. There is a gap left for a stairs however it isnt something which really needs to be done.

• Advertisement

If you add the stairs, you are Planning exempt, but Building Regulations for a 3 storey dwelling come into play in my opinion.
    With the current layout a stairgre wont work as its not just an entrance hatch in the ceiling. There is a gap left for a stairs however it isnt something which really needs to be done.

Has the builder just left a massive hole in the ceiling?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I fitted a folding stairs to my attic, can't remember the name of it off hand now. Had to cut a new hole in ceiling, as the old was was in the ensuite and completely impractical. I can send you a picture of it later if you'd like.

Just thought of it, Fakro was the name of it. Saw a stairs in Woodies, but they didn't have the one I wanted. But drove over to them in Toughers business park and found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I viewed a similar sounding situation (co. Wicklow) and the extra space in the attic area just needed a stairs put in place but the layout of the hallway below made it awkward. When I checked into the uses for the converted attic area, their planning permission specifically excluded using it for anything but storage, even though they'd added velux windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I believe if you just plan on using it yourself, there is no problem, you can put in a stairs if you want, it really only becomes an issue if you are selling it, I know lots of people that have just added the room upstairs and then when selling, they just didn't include it in the selling process, as having a room, as-such, in the attic.

I am open to correction.

I believe if you just plan on using it yourself, there is no problem, you can put in a stairs if you want, it really only becomes an issue if you are selling it, I know lots of people that have just added the room upstairs and then when selling, they just didn't include it in the selling process, as having a room, as-such, in the attic.

I am open to correction.

What did they do during viewings and purchase survey? Hide the stairs?

There's is a problem with regards to fire safety if you add the fixed staircase. Relatively simple to fix, so for the sake a few quid, I'd comply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

What did they do during viewings and purchase survey? Hide the stairs?

There's is a problem with regards to fire safety if you add the fixed staircase. Relatively simple to fix, so for the sake a few quid, I'd comply.

They removed it and added a hatch, a stairs is a simple thing to do, I can do a stairs in a day with e100 of materials, so for 300 you have a stairs and bannister, then you remove it and explain to the new owners what you had done, no need for planning changes etc.

If you add the stairs, you are Planning exempt, but Building Regulations for a 3 storey dwelling come into play in my opinion.

Has the builder just left a massive hole in the ceiling?
    Sorry for taking so long to cone back.

Its currently a bungalow so I can't see regs for a 3 story coming into play.

As it stands now, when you enter the hallway and look up there us a landing with 2 doors but no stairs to get to it.

Advertisement