Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant!!! ðŸ˜ðŸ™ðŸ» After 2 yrs ttc!!!

Options
  • 06-03-2017 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to boards and am looking for advice! I've just confirmed I'm pregnant! 🀗We are over the moon as we have been trying for 2 years and have had 1 failed IUI and 2 failed IVF cycles. Anyway, fingers and toes crossed now that everything goes great for the next 9 months and we are lucky enough to have our healthy happy baby in the end!
    I am unsure as to what the next steps are?
    I work in Dublin but don't have a GP here. Hubby lives in Mayo and I plan to move West soon so I expect I'll be having the baby in Castlebar hospital.
    Can anyone recommend a good maternity GP in the Castlebar area?
    Should I try to push the already spent budget to going private considering our journey to get to this point and the fact that I'm 39?
    Any and all advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

May also be worth asking in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=952

Congrats!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Congratulations. I hope everything goes well for you.

I don't know anything about Castlebar but I assume they have a high risk clinic? If so, given your history, you can probably get referred to that. I'm high risk and a public patient in Galway and have received far better care than anyone I ever heard of that went private. I've seen the consultant personally at every visit and he scans me himself.

I also don't know anything about GPs around there but, again, if you're high risk the GP won't matter as much. I've only seen my GP twice in the whole pregnancy because I've been seen in the hospital weekly since 12 weeks pregnant.

I would get to a GP as soon as possible if I were you and ask them to refer you for an early scan as well. Otherwise you might be waiting until you're 12 weeks before you get seen in hospital at all. You can always change GPs at any time once you're in the area.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I don't know anything about Castlebar but I assume they have a high risk clinic? If so, given your history, you can probably get referred to that. I'm high risk and a public patient in Galway and have received far better care than anyone I ever heard of that went private. I've seen the consultant personally at every visit and he scans me himself.

I also don't know anything about GPs around there but, again, if you're high risk the GP won't matter as much. I've only seen my GP twice in the whole pregnancy because I've been seen in the hospital weekly since 12 weeks pregnant.

I would get to a GP as soon as possible if I were you and ask them to refer you for an early scan as well. Otherwise you might be waiting until you're 12 weeks before you get seen in hospital at all. You can always change GPs at any time once you're in the area.

Good luck!

Don't know about Castlrbar. Had first baby at 41 and went public. Had excellent care. Gp didn't think any need for private due to age. She did refer me for early scan tho. Consultant v casual about my age and called me "low risk" as had no medical issues. She didn't seem to consider my age a high risk at all. Had a great pg. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 QuestionHere

Delighted for you both - congratulations
    : ) take the year off & focus on this most important part of your life - the stress & commute could from Dublin to Castle ar could be a big negative ~ love every minute, relax, no pressures or stresses & good luck to you and your husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I moved to Castlebar at 36 weeks with my last pregnancy, my GP is Dr Patten. He's very good, very practical nice guy who has his own kids. I find him excellent.
    Hospital staff are very good. I'm currently under Dr Hillary, I'm high risk and have birth trauma from previous birth and I find them very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 brightyellow

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your advice! Best of luck with your new arrival!

Delighted for you both - congratulations
    : ) take the year off & focus on this most important part of your life - the stress & commute could from Dublin to Castle ar could be a big negative ~ love every minute, relax, no pressures or stresses & good luck to you and your husband.

You made me smile, thank you! I love your positivity and excellent advice! Thank you for your kind wishes x

73trix wrote: »

Good luck!

Don't know about Castlrbar. Had first baby at 41 and went public. Had excellent care. Gp didn't think any need for private due to age. She did refer me for early scan tho. Consultant v casual about my age and called me "low risk" as had no medical issues. She didn't seem to consider my age a high risk at all. Had a great pg. Best of luck.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and advise me! I hope I'm as lucky as you to have a great pregnancy!! Can't wait now!
    :-D

Advertisement