Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I put the baby???

Options
  • 06-03-2017 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We have a three bedroom house. We sleep in one bedroom, our teenage son is in the other and seven year old sleeps in the third one. Now the new baby is a boy but I don't think sharing a bedroom with a teenager will work out.. Sleep times etc. I thought about him sharing with his older sister but her bedroom is very small and even if she and my older son were to swap bedrooms then her sharing with her younger brother would only be for a limited time. My son has put so much work into his bedroom that I don't like to ask him to swap anyway. Baby is currently in our room. I thought about an attic conversion but aside from the expense, I've been told that it's very small and not worth the effort. Any suggestions on how this sleeping situation can be managed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭All4shopping

We have 14 year old and 1 year old sharing it works fine, baby is well asleep by the time teenager is going to bed! Teenager also sleeps through the early morning risings too!

Do you have two downstairs rooms as well as the kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. You have a three bedroom house & five people live there. Families have lived in far less, it's not ideal but it can be done. I myself was brought up in a two bedroom with my parents, siblings & grandmother, I knew people who lived in 1 room tenements (they were still around until the 70s).

If you have the funds, go for the Attic, put the teenager up there (he'll love it) & just get on with things.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My brother and sister both shared a room into their teens. I'm sure it wasn't ideal for either of them, but this was before people felt it was mandatory for each child/sex to have their own space!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I live in a 3 bed dormer bungalow, with only 1 of the rooms upstairs. Because I don't want my son asleep on the ground floor while we're upstairs, we all share a room; he was 3 in October. It's fine, the only people who have a problem with it are people who don't live here! Attic for the teenager sounds good, or 2 brothers sharing. Don't sweat it, it'll work out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you can
    keep the baby with you
    build an extension
    move house or baby shares with a sibling.
    My 8 year old would love to share with her little brother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I have a niece and nephew still sharing at 13 and 14, needs must and all that. They are brother and sister after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Teenager in the small room and bunkbeds in the larger, i'd sell it to the teenager as a choice though, as long as they feel they have a part in the decision it should be fine in the long run.
    Bunkbeds in the sharing room would be an option if there isn't the floorspace - you can get bunkbed barriers to stop very small children falling out of the bunk if you feel its needed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Similar situation in a friends house. Baby was in cot in parents room till nearly 2. Then got a single mattress on the floor for a year. ( child didn't want to leave parents room) Then they decided it was time to move her out. Eldest sibling got the choice that is big room and share , or small space to yourself. She chose the box room and then 3yr old and 10 yr old shared. It's grand! Don't panic. This is life . Teenager will be gone in a few years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We had our kids in our room till they were 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement