Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi or not!

• 06-03-2017 4:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all
    Looking through some of the threads here and really good advice so here goes.
    Don't know a huge amount about cars in general but I do like the Audi A4 and A5
    I just got approved for CU loan of 20k so I won't be buying new but basically trying to decide first of all is an Audi a good choice.

I'll won't be doing a lot of mileage. Maybe 10k
    Mainly 9km commute to work and then weekend drive here and there around Dublin.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a5-2-0-tdi-black-edition-174bhp-3dr-auto/14655530

Going for a test drive in this. Would it be crazy expensive to maintain?

Thanks in advance
    The money isn't burning a hole but have to have something within 6 weeks! Special CU interest rate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Get a petrol or hybrid car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And unless you know your stuff (which you say you don't) never ever buy a car that you hadn't checked - ideally by a mechanic you know and trust. And no, dealers and their warranties can't be trusted either. If you don't know a good mechanic get one of those pre purchase inspections. They are not the be all and end all and some of the car buffs here will tell you they're sh1te, but they're certainly a lot better than walking blindly into a 20k + purchase. At least they will spot the obvious.

And BigGreen is right. The country is full of diesels and it may be difficult to source a car you like in hybrid or petrol but your driving pattern will not be liked by a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

I had an A5, it's a lovely car to drive but I did have a lot of trouble with it in the 3 years I had it.

1. Drivers side window regulator failed, audi wanted E1500 to fix it :eek:, but did it myself for E300
    2. The drivers side door handle stopped working, replaced it myself for about E100
    3. The clutch position sensor failed, so hill assist wouldn't work, would have been E450 to fix with an indy, not worth it so never fixed it.
    4. Also had to do the clutch/DMF and timing belt, obviously they're consumables but total bill was approx E1500 with an indy
    5. Got pads on 4 corners and front discs for E600 at main dealer.

I have an A6 now, because I had a kid, and the baby seat doesn't fit in the A5. So it didn't put me off Audi, but the reliability isn't all it's cracked up to be, and the parts are very expensive. I only ever drove ford's before the A5 and found the reliability much better, and any parts I did need were cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

Cheers, I'll be definitely getting it checked out by someone who does know there stuff especially with the Audi's

Do you not think the extended 3 year warranty from a dealership is worthwhile?

I haven't seen to many Audi's in petrol during my searching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Pete123456

deco_b wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll be definitely getting it checked out by someone who does know there stuff especially with the Audi's

Do you not think the extended 3 year warranty from a dealership is worthwhile?

I haven't seen to many Audi's in petrol during my searching

It'd be worth looking at petrols/hybrids because you could end up with huge bills if the dpf blocks up, which it eventually will if you're only doing start stop driving. The egr could also give trouble.

Diesels wont get near the claimed mpg figures if they're being used for stop start or short journeys. Unless you are travelling at motorway speed or high revs for a 95% of your commute and longer journeys on weekends, the engine etc will never have time to warm up, and these things will eventually give trouble.

The other thing, which isnt really possible to predict is how the previous owner was driving the car. If they had it from new and only did 4 years of short journeys etc, the dpf and egr etc might already be close to giving trouble, but theres no real way to find out unless you took the car apart.

• Advertisement

Pete123456 wrote: »
    It'd be worth looking at petrols/hybrids because you could end up with huge bills if the dpf blocks up, which it eventually will if you're only doing start stop driving. The egr could also give trouble.

Diesels wont get near the claimed mpg figures if they're being used for stop start or short journeys. Unless you are travelling at motorway speed or high revs for a 95% of your commute and longer journeys on weekends, the engine etc will never have time to warm up, and these things will eventually give trouble.

The other thing, which isnt really possible to predict is how the previous owner was driving the car. If they had it from new and only did 4 years of short journeys etc, the dpf and egr etc might already be close to giving trouble, but theres no real way to find out unless you took the car apart.
    Great thanks for the advice. Think I'm definitely going to steer clear of the diesels

Now it's a case of Audi petrol or not Audi at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I would take a look in the UK. For that kind of money, i would reckon there is better value to be had even after VRT, flights ferry etc. Probably more choice in cars too. Check autotrader or the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

In 2015 I bought a new A6 auto s tronic 190bhp. After 11 months with 20,000miles/32,000km on the clock suddenly one morning it went into limp mode. Rang the garage and they sent AA man. Car had to be put on a loader and taken back to the garage. I was given a Skoda Octavia as a loaner free of charge and was told the car needed a new power boost sensor. Took about a week to sort out but didn't cost me anything as the car was under warranty. Lovely car but I've had Honda's VW's Toyota's and BMW's and never had this happen.
    If you do decide to buy get your own mechanic to have a look too. It's always good to have the word of someone you know and trust. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=sw1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=AUDI&model=A3&fuel-type=Hybrid

You can just about get an A3 e-tron in the UK for that. Cover your commute on cheap electricity and beat a Golf GTIs off the lights.

The Plug-in VRT credit of €2,500 applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

My partner drives an A5 and its a wonderful car to drive and lots of fun ,she loves it and when I take a turn driving it I love it too , horrible car to be a passenger in though.
    If you ever going to have older passengers in it not fun getting them in and out , very much a younger ,smaller persons car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Or you could just delete them if they start to give trouble at a fraction of the cost. You'll get better economy and performance and the issue will be permanently sorted.
    Diesels wont get near the claimed mpg figures if they're being used for stop start or short journeys.

Neither will petrols :confused:
    Unless you are travelling at motorway speed or high revs for a 95% of your commute and longer journeys on weekends, the engine etc will never have time to warm up, and these things will eventually give trouble.

:confused::confused::confused:

Firstly can you send a link to where you took that figure of 95% and how it's calculated ?

And secondly, how long do you think it takes a Diesel to warm up ? I'm guessing you think it takes a whole lot longer then it does in reality. Any Diesels I've owned are up to temp in under 5 mins. To say they never have time to warm up is just regurgitating something you've heard on the net.

OP - Take a look at the list below. The DPF is the only part here specific to Diesel. Cars break and when they break they cost money. A Petrol car can and will break your heart and your wallet just as often and just quickly as any Diesel.
    Silane wrote: »
    1. Drivers side window regulator failed, audi wanted E1500 to fix it :eek:, but did it myself for E300
    2. The drivers side door handle stopped working, replaced it myself for about E100
    3. The clutch position sensor failed, so hill assist wouldn't work, would have been E450 to fix with an indy, not worth it so never fixed it.
    4. Also had to do the clutch/DMF and timing belt, obviously they're consumables but total bill was approx E1500 with an indy
    5. Got pads on 4 corners and front discs for E600 at main dealer.

I'm driving Diesels for many years doing about 10k a year and i've saved a fortune on fuel bills while experiencing none of the problems so many like to peddle on here.. None.. Not a one. And in all the people i'm aware of that drive Diesels i've only come across one person that's had a DPF failure. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying it's not the certainty that many here think it is. Not even close.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting what you should buy btw. That's your choice and I like that Audi in the ad. I'm just saying don't discount a diesel based on some poorly informed group think here on boards.

Go speak to people you know who own and drive diesels and make your own mind up about what's right for you..

Enjoy the search, and good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I have an Audi A3 and have done since 2009 (its a 2003 reg & petrol) and I have never had anything major done to it. Had to buy a new battery last year and other than that its perfect.

After my last two cars being audi's, I would be reluctant to change to another model of car. Very happy!

My partner drives an A5 and its a wonderful car to drive and lots of fun ,she loves it and when I take a turn driving it I love it too , horrible car to be a passenger in though.
    If you ever going to have older passengers in it not fun getting them in and out , very much a younger ,smaller persons car

Cheers it is a lovely car inside and out and I know what you mean about the seats. To be honest it's really just for me, I have kids but use the family focus for that

@Swanner thanks for the feedback. that's why I posted just want to hear what people with better experience have to say and weigh it up

http://carsireland.ie/1694679

A5 petrol not as nice as the other one though

Swanner wrote: »
    Or you could just delete them if they start to give trouble at a fraction of the cost. You'll get better economy and performance and the issue will be permanently sorted.

Anyone who does that should have the car seized and crushed.
    I'm driving Diesels for many years doing about 10k a year and i've saved a fortune on fuel bills while experiencing none of the problems so many like to peddle on here.. None.. Not a one.

I save €6-7k a year in fuel and maintenance on my EV vs my old 2.0 diesel for my ~60,000km annual mileage. Nightsaver electricity is 10-12 times cheaper than diesel.
    My first service was at 2 years/105,000km, my next scheduled service is in 2019.

An EV would suit the OP. But since he specified Audi the only option from them is a PHEV and there's good value in that market from the UK.

I had a drive in an A5 and a Passat CC both really nice to drive.
    Both 131 2.0L diesel with top spec and in very good condition

Decisions...decisions...

Decisions...decisions...

That's what I had my options boiled down to before I bought the A5, you won't go too far wrong either way, were they both 170bhp?

That's what I had my options boiled down to before I bought the A5, you won't go too far wrong either way, were they both 170bhp?

They sure are. Passat bigger and slightly more features but I think it has to be the A5 for me. Sure you are only allowed one mid life crisis right :D

They sure are. Passat bigger and slightly more features but I think it has to be the A5 for me. Sure you are only allowed one mid life crisis right :D

Exactly, is it a coupe or sportback?

• Advertisement

Exactly, is it a coupe or sportback?

https://goo.gl/photos/Yw1BxfWGrDAbJ7746

Nice!!, I have those alloys on my car, they're a bitch if you scratch them, very few places will repair the diamond cut part, and thats exactly where they'll scratch. The two colours in the wheel do look deadly though.

Is that a Black Edition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Decisions...decisions...

Got a 2012 CC GT 170bhp a few weeks ago, its a cracking car you wouldn't be disappointed in it. I had the A5 Sportback in mind too but the CC fit my budget better, cant deny the A5 is a serious looker though.

In terms of real MPG I get about 45mpg on the motorway and about 30mpg around town. That's not bad, it's a big car.

If your interested in a high spec german diesel you should really consider the UK, you'll get a lot more for your budget, mine was a December 2012 with 55k miles for under €15k all in.

Nice!!, I have those alloys on my car, they're a bitch if you scratch them, very few places will repair the diamond cut part, and thats exactly where they'll scratch. The two colours in the wheel do look deadly though.

Is that a Black Edition?

Yep black edition. It was brought in from UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was going to say, if spending that kind of money, going to uk may well makes sense...

I'd def be taking that over the passat too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd def be taking that over the passat too!

Wash out your mouth its a CC not Passat!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

cros13 wrote: »
    Anyone who does that should have the car seized and crushed.

Bahahaha, classic Boards :D

The A5s are a nice car. Certainly not bulletproof but also not balls of trouble either. No modern car has an impeccable reliability standard.

You could definitely save a bit by shopping over the water and there is a far better selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I would get the original UK reg and do a background check and/or have someone with VCDS ( vag diagnostic and coding software) do a mileage check.

• Advertisement

millington wrote: »
    Bahahaha, classic Boards :D

Well... in fairness it may not be illegal in Ireland to remove the DPF but it should be (it is in the UK for example). The DPF removes up to 95% of PM2.5 particulates which can cause lung cancer.
    That hits particularly close to home for me as I bring my mum (a non-smoker with lung cancer) to chemo and sit behind PoS diesels spewing junk into the air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Audi very outdated car and big time trouble . I would prefer to drive a Jap Car .there the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Audi very outdated car and big time trouble . I would prefer to drive a Jap Car .there the best

Sweeping statement of the day award goes to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

Neither will petrols :confused:

:confused::confused::confused:

Firstly can you send a link to where you took that figure of 95% and how it's calculated ?

And secondly, how long do you think it takes a Diesel to warm up ? I'm guessing you think it takes a whole lot longer then it does in reality. Any Diesels I've owned are up to temp in under 5 mins. To say they never have time to warm up is just regurgitating something you've heard on the net.

OP - Take a look at the list below. The DPF is the only part here specific to Diesel. Cars break and when they break they cost money. A Petrol car can and will break your heart and your wallet just as often and just quickly as any Diesel.

I'm driving Diesels for many years doing about 10k a year and i've saved a fortune on fuel bills while experiencing none of the problems so many like to peddle on here.. None.. Not a one. And in all the people i'm aware of that drive Diesels i've only come across one person that's had a DPF failure. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying it's not the certainty that many here think it is. Not even close.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting what you should buy btw. That's your choice and I like that Audi in the ad. I'm just saying don't discount a diesel based on some poorly informed group think here on boards.

Go speak to people you know who own and drive diesels and make your own mind up about what's right for you..

Enjoy the search, and good luck..
    I had a dpf fail. That's 50% of the diesels I've owned. Just saying is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sweeping statement of the day award goes to

All sweeping statements should get an award because they are all brilliant :D

Advertisement