Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house in usa

Options
  • 06-03-2017 6:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi im only lightly toying with the idea of buying a remote cabin in alaska they are cheap and would be a great escape for a a month a year or so. Im just wondering has anyone here purchased property in the states before or any idea of what the procedure would be.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 QuestionHere

Hi im only lightly toying with the idea of buying a remote cabin in alaska they are cheap and would be a great escape for a a month a year or so. Im just wondering has anyone here purchased property in the states before or any idea of what the procedure would be.
    Thanks

I toyed with the idea of hiking & camping for a few months in Alaska - the internal travel costs were astronomical - I hear half the state is inaccessible during the winter when being snowed in for months is the norm. IMO owning in such a harsh climate is a Big risk for little gain.

There was a competition recently in NY where you could win a 'log cabin' by a lake by writing a short story amd laying a hundred euro entry fee. Sting in the tale - you would havd to pay the ANNUAL state tax for NY - which were eleven thousand euro per year for the privilige of owning it , each year. Not sure if you would also be liable for other taxes on top of that. Worth considering when deciding. Its not like heree, over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I toyed with the idea of hiking & camping for a few months in Alaska - the internal travel costs were astronomical - I hear half the state is inaccessible during the winter when being snowed in for months is the norm. IMO owning in such a harsh climate is a Big risk for little gain.

There was a competition recently in NY where you could win a 'log cabin' by a lake by writing a short story amd laying a hundred euro entry fee. Sting in the tale - you would havd to pay the ANNUAL state tax for NY - which were eleven thousand euro per year for the privilige of owning it , each year. Not sure if you would also be liable for other taxes on top of that. Worth considering when deciding. Its not like heree, over there!

The dreaded taxes i knew it wouldnt be clear cut. Id imagine it would be a better idea to rent a cabin for a few weeks hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 QuestionHere

The dreaded taxes i knew it wouldnt be clear cut. Id imagine it would be a better idea to rent a cabin for a few weeks hassle free.

Alaaka may be different - do check it out - my brother lives in the US & I know to get a mortgage there they also can factor in the federal taxes & include it in your borrowing for the lifecycle of the mortgage as they are so high ( where he is which is not alaska or NY!) they also slap VAT on everything after the sale - again this rate varies from state to state. I don't want to ruin your dreaam but it is worth investigating properly with s real eatate /realtor that is local to Alaska & tuned into their federal laws. Its not not buying in Iteland between counties.

If you are female in Alaska you get a cheque per year for living there because there are so few prepared to stay out the harsh climate!!! Not sure if men also get this! Or if you gave to live there a year over thewinter to get it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from Accommodation and Property

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I'm a Realtor (originally from Dublin) I am licensed in North Carolina (I live in Charlotte) & South Carolina ( I practice in counties just over the state line) I will tell you every state is different for example property taxes in SC are lower than NC, however if you own a second property the taxes jump vastly(triple on a second home in some cases) I own 2 properties in NC and I don't pay a premium for owning a second one.
    You would  really need to talk to someone who works in that area. To give you an example of laws we deal with especially when you border two states, we are having issues with hot tubs. Hot tubs personal property in SC and you can take it with you when you move. In NC if its at the property when it's listed it better be there when it closes because its supposed to stay!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Over 2k a year just to live there, everyone gets it, men , women, children, babies , dogs.
    So a family of 5 get 10k a year.
    Save it for 10 year 100k .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Over 2k a year just to live there, everyone gets it, men , women, children, babies , dogs.
    So a family of 5 get 10k a year.
    Save it for 10 year 100k .

Having visited and loved Alaska that still is nowhere near enough. OP please rent and see what it's really like. Easy to romanticise isolation and peace but it's almost impossible to prepare for the darkness of winter and the 21 hours of light in mid summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The cash is a share of the oil profits the state receives. And i'm sure they dont share with foreigners who own holiday homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Consider Canada as well. A few hours north of Vancouver and you'll be deep in the bush, as they call it. And thats on the same longitude as Ireland, so the seasons are similar, but with more snow obviously. You can keep going north and get even more remote too.

I'm not sure what canadian property taxes are like, but the visas are certainly easier to get.

Advertisement