Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Durability of shimano ultegra 11speed shifterss

Options
  • 06-03-2017 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Ok guys...Shimano's ubiquitous ultegra 11 speed 6800 groupset has been on the market for several years now, so I would like to know how those mechanical shifters are holding up durability wise? Is it still worth spending €150 extra on the dura-ace 9001 versions?

Back in the old days the 8 speed 6400 shifters had a nasty reputation for failing after a single season of racing, while the 7400 dura-ace ones would continue to function perfectly for many a long year...

A few years later It was a similar scenario with the 9 speed ultegra 6500 shifters failing prematurely, while the dura-ace 7700 versions proved totally bombproof...

Finally by the third generation ultegra 6600 shifters shimano had beefed up the inner workings to the point they would function for two or three years of hard use....Although the dura-ace versions(7800) of the same vintage have a near mythical reputation for durability....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've only had an Ultegra 11spd group for a season but it hasn't given me a jot of trouble. I've got a set of old Dura Ace 9spd shifters on my winter bike and they absolutely refuse to give up, fantastic performance from them especially when you consider I bought them second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Bought a planet X bike May 2009 which came with Dura ace shifters. Many things went on the bike and I bought a Rose in April 2013 which came with Ultegra shifters (and the planet X became the winter bike).

The front shifter on the Rose has been troublesome since last year but the Dura ace on the planet X is still silky smooth, so much so that I'm contemplating switching them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Bought a planet X bike May 2009 which came with Dura ace shifters. Many things went on the bike and I bought a Rose in April 2013 which came with Ultegra shifters (and the planet X became the winter bike).

The front shifter on the Rose has been troublesome since last year but the Dura ace on the planet X is still silky smooth, so much so that I'm contemplating switching them around.

These are 10 speed of course and perhaps not too relevant to original query

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you don't need the 11th cog and the cables not being under bar tape doesn't bother you, would you not be as well buying old new 7800, Sram Red 10 speed or the like?

You do know 6800 won't be more durable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I've had 11 speed 5800 105 shifters for ~2.5 years now (~15,000Kms of commuting/sportives/leisure mileage) and have had no issues with them. I'd hope that the 6800/9000 series shifters are event better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Have 6800 Ultegra for over a year now and still working perfect. In fact I know a A2 rider who is more than happy 5800 shifters and he has used them last season and all winter and they still work great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Very much off topic but on the topic of levers...

What is the story with levers/brakes and how they work?

I just happened on a set of Dura Ace rear brakes but it states
    "Attention! Only compatible with STI levers ST-7970/7971/7900/6700/5700/4600 and brake levers BL-TT79/BL-4600/BL-R780. "

I am curious as to why that would be? Isn't it just "Lever pulls cable, makes brake close/work" stuff?

I'm not buying them or anything, just curious! What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

@ Unknown soldier. What you have are a pair of dura-ace 7900 brake calipers compatible with lower level components of the same generation.. In general the newer brake/shift levers have a higher brake cable pull ratio, so they work more effectively with brake calipers from the same series shimano recommend... Otherwise you could end up with brakes that are overly sensitive that are difficult to modulate, Or ones that are totally useless at stopping...

dura-ace 10speed Di2 electronic (ST7970/7071)
    dura-ace 10speed mechanical (7900)
    Ultegra 10speed mechanical (6700)
    105 -10 speed mechanical (5700)

Shimano 10 speed dura-ace time trial brake levers (BL-TT79)
    Shimano Tiagra flat bar hybrid/ mountain bike brake levers (BL-4600)
    Non series flat bar hybrid/mountain bike brake levers (BL-R780)

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Ive had Ultegra since 9 speed both 9 and 10 speed and now 11 speed. I actually find them more durable than the DA, I always put ultegra on my winter and cross bikes, I have always had Dura ace on my summer/race bikes, and the DA always shift smoother, although I feel it is least noticeable in the newer 11 speeds.

I have beaten the crap out of all of them, and other than the first Shimano to go hidden cables, I have found them all exceptional, the Ultegra mostly gets a trickle down technology from DA as well.

Advertisement