Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake boat

• 06-03-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi I hope I've posted this in the right place. I've a 21ft Sheelin fishing boat that's fallen into disrepair. I've started getting it back to life currently. My problem is all the hardwood 'flooring' has rotten. I'm just wondering what are the best alternative replacements for this? Fibreglass flooring, marine ply, rubber matting or even leave alone? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I have no idea - but I just wanted to ask you to do a phase by phase here for us to follow while you do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Hi I hope I've posted this in the right place. I've a 21ft Sheelin fishing boat that's fallen into disrepair. I've started getting it back to life currently. My problem is all the hardwood 'flooring' has rotten. I'm just wondering what are the best alternative replacements for this? Fibreglass flooring, marine ply, rubber matting or even leave alone? Thanks in advance

rubber matting dam all looking after,dont put in a fibreglass floor ,if you have to repair a damaged keel its a nightmare,marine ply will last about 6 to 7 years max.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bolster4103

Hi guys, thinking of using marine ply. Sealing the ply up and then rubber matting down. Just to give it a level comfortable floor. Yes I will post before, during and after photos soon

Thats the way i have my sheelin boat rubber on seald ply rubber stuck with tec7 2 years now never moved the comfort for walking and standing is unreal and flylines do not get dammaged on the rubber floor great job.

blackpearl wrote: »
    Thats the way i have my sheelin boat rubber on seald ply rubber stuck with tec7 2 years now never moved the comfort for walking and standing is unreal and flylines do not get dammaged on the rubber floor great job.

Would you have a photo of it for reference? If it's not too much trouble

• Advertisement

my boat is on lake about 60 miles away freind of mine keeps it baled will be over their inside next 2 weeks will send you photo then .

blackpearl wrote: »
    my boat is on lake about 60 miles away freind of mine keeps it baled will be over their inside next 2 weeks will send you photo then .

Cheers thanks for that. Do you shoot off your boat too. That's the original condition of the boat at the minute. Covers put on to let the wood dry out. Sanding and varnishing during the week. Put the engine in the barrel yesterday. Not running well at all. Going to try service today and see how we go

Not that bad seen worst try giving sheelin boats a ring and see what they would charge you for the ply floor, seal it and get your rubber put the boards on top and go round it with a stanley knife,2 tubes of tec7 round the edges and squigle down the middle stand on the rubber to bed it and leave for a day or two job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I've always found the fibreglass flooring to be excellent, if a bit on the expensive side. Think it's worth it though.

I've always found the fibreglass flooring to be excellent, if a bit on the expensive side. Think it's worth it though.

Good job but needs a rubber mat to save fly lines had one before it was when i went to but a new keel on the boat i hit trouble the floor had to be lifted for keel bolts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement