Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major company banning online sales

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Has to be said - the OP has made some pretty wild allegations in this thread and hasn't been able to support a single one of them.

I'm yet to see how there is anything wrong with this.

And if the part he needs is available online for €150, why doesn't he just buy it there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Has to be said - the OP has made some pretty wild allegations in this thread and hasn't been able to support a single one of them.

I'm yet to see how there is anything wrong with this.

And if the part he needs is available online for €150, why doesn't he just buy it there?
    They won't mail it to him. The only way he can buy it at that price is of he collects it in person. The local price on Ireland is substantially higher

From what I understand, this seller is not allowed to distance sell a particular brand as dictated by the manufacturer. The OP s question is this practice against competition law

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The only way he can buy it at that price is of he collects it in person.
    We don't know this, I listed 3 sites apparently selling online. The OP even admitted "Others flaunt the rule but charge full price. "

I can see a chainsaw on an Irish site for €730 ex vat, so €897.90 if I was to buy it.

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/stihl-ms-261-professional-chainsaw/p-g13154

and it is €729 on amazon.de, €10 shipping within germany, and I think the german equivalent of parcelmotel is about €10 to get it here.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NQ4YT3G?smid=AR66AOK5XNUVG&linkCode=df0&creative=22506&creativeASIN=B00NQ4YT3G&childASIN=B00NQ4YT3G&tag=geizhals10-21

As I said, this is suited to bargain alerts, he could simply have not found it online at a decent price -while others possibly could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

They won't mail it to him. The only way he can buy it at that price is of he collects it in person. The local price on Ireland is substantially higher

From what I understand, this seller is not allowed to distance sell a particular brand as dictated by the manufacturer. The OP s question is this practice against competition law

This isn't against competition law. It's not illegal for a manufacturer to determine that, for whatever reasons, they don't want their product sold online. Perfectly legal.

Also the free market allows the free movement of goods which does it turn make it easier and cheaper for a consumer to get things but it's not a requirement that something that is sold somewhere else in the EU be available at the same price here or even available here at all! They can't be refused the access to the market but they can choose not to be in it also and that is perfectly legal.
    Discodog wrote: »
    I accept that there is no fixing in the legal sense. But effectively banning buyers in Ireland from buying online does seriously affect the price.

For example the attachment I need is about €150 online. It's €240 here. I wrongly thought that, especially with the EU, that I could buy from anyone.

It's not just banning buyers in Ireland from buying online - it's a commercial decision not to deal in online sales and that is perfectly legal. It doesn't fix price but yes it can make things more expensive.

You don't have the automatic right to buy online for cheaper from anywhere in the EU. The way the law works is that businesses cannot be refused entry into another countries market when they are in the EU however there is no compulsion for them to operate in all the EU countries. They can choose which countries they operate in or will ship to and that is perfectly legal.

At the end of the day, they are running a business. If you think the dealer is the one ripping you off, maybe bring it to them but you don't know what margin they are adding to the product to get that €240 or conversely how much of a loss the other dealer is accepting to sell at €150.

Advertisement