Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris-Nice 2017 - Stage 2 ***SPOILERS***

Options
  • 06-03-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Stage Map:
    411014.jpg

Stage Profile:
    411015.jpg

The General Classification after Stage 1:
    411013.jpg

It's a flat stage that would normally be a shootout between the sprinters, but we all saw what happened yesterday...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Looking at the forecast for today, it's going to be wet and cold, with some gusty southerly winds (up into mid 30's at times)

Could add to the fun for the peloton today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It'll be fascinating to see how this plays out.
    Will the gaggle of big shots who are at 1 minute and more off the lead give it a determined go and try to make it back into contention, or will they throw their hats at it and treat it as a 'training and conditioning' race, or might they work for their teammates who find themselves unexpectedly up at the sharp end?
    I'll be shouting for Dan anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Melodeon wrote: »
    It'll be fascinating to see how this plays out.
    Will the gaggle of big shots who are at 1 minute and more off the lead give it a determined go and try to make it back into contention, or will they throw their hats at it and treat it as a 'training and conditioning' race, or might they work for their teammates who find themselves unexpectedly up at the sharp end?
    I'll be shouting for Dan anyway! :D

Porte and Contador are not out of this at all yet, it just makes it more interesting. Porte is still the bookies favourite...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There was a week long race a few years ago that started out just like this, with GC guys all losing a minute on day 1 (or 2) - it may even have been P-N the year Betancur won it?? Anyway, it all all came back together by day 5 or 6 and I suspect this one will too....

Its getting tasty out there :)

c6o3xgxwgaad3i6_670.jpg

• Advertisement

Ooooh, that looks bleak! :eek:

411041.jpg

It's been snowing according to Quickstep

https://twitter.com/quickstepteam/status/838715828702965762

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Why did Bennett try so hard yesterday I wonder? He was on his own 2+ minutes down at the end. If he wasn't going to win, and he wasn't, that was no good at all to him - he should've just sat back and lost 15 minutes and be fresh for today.
    That said, fair play to him, he looks like he's getting a real handle on classics racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Dan caught behind the split with contador at 35 seconds. Porte is even further back.

Allaphillippe and Gallopin are the main GC guys who are in the front group but Sam Bennett is also in the front group with the likes of Kittel, Demare and Degenkolb

Scratch that Zakarin and Henao also in front group and Dan, Contador now at 50 seconds. With Alaphillippe up the road Dan will have to sit on and see if other teams will lead the chase
    301070768c524b94ba8b769300935047.png

• Advertisement

Porte over 3 minutes back now.

Looks like Dan has dropped out of the pursuing Contador/Gilbert group :(

Zakarin, Allaphilippe, Henao or Gallopin the only 3 riders in the GC hunt if this sticks which looks likely, 2nd group on the road going backwards, most teams have someone up front, so not much help for Contador.

Some hope for Dan if true, lots of mixed reports as the race is all over the road.
    Group with Yates, Martin came back to the group Contador and are now chasing hard. Gap is already 40" down.

Yeah, confirmed Dan is back with the Contador group and 55 seconds behind the lead group which still contains Bennett.

714e8af230ab4e3880814ef0413daa13.png

Back together at the front, Dan, Contador, Yates all back in, Sam there too. Lil Richie 5 minutes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone know where Roche is?
    I know he was ahead of Porte on the road earlier, but I don't know if the team called him back.

https://twitter.com/BMCProTeam/status/838744096214814720

Live coverage now on ES1. Just finishing up their summary of yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Just catching this now. Thought I saw a Quickstep rider waving as if there was an upcoming obstacle.... he wasn't... he was trying to get some heat back into his hands!
    #itscoldoutthere

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Just catching this now. Thought I saw a Quickstep rider waving as if there was an upcoming obstacle.... he wasn't... he was trying to get some heat back into his hands!
    #itscoldoutthere

Nobody mention Rule 5. I think they've proven their credentials! #brrrrr

• Advertisement

Anyone know where Roche is?
    I know he was ahead of Porte on the road earlier, but I don't know if the team called him back.

https://twitter.com/BMCProTeam/status/838744096214814720

Any suggestions as to what happened to Porte?

I dont think yesterdays headline about him is appplicable any more....
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-it-was-a-disaster-but-not-too-much-of-a-disaster/

Nothing from BMC on Twitter about cause, but this was posted about 30 mins ago
    https://twitter.com/BMCProTeam/status/838764182346551296

Colbrelli (TBM) at the end of a fantastic sprint. Degenkolb (TFS) in second. Demare (FDJ - 3rd) keeps Yellow.

Nothing from BMC on Twitter about cause, but this was posted about 30 mins ago
    https://twitter.com/BMCProTeam/status/838764182346551296

Ah well, maybe Nico will be relieved of babysitting duties and be alowed to go in a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Dan's gonna win this ;)

Somedude9 wrote: »
    Dan's gonna win this ;)

It is looking more and more possible!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Porte is going to be over 15 mins down. Quick step are in a strong position with the riders they have near the top and can surely control it?

14m16s down for Porte, and Roche helping, on today's stage.

I'd say the Quick Step chat over dinner will be exactly on how to control the race from here on out. Having Alaphilippe, Gilbert, and Martin all up there makes it very much theirs to run with.

• Advertisement

I'd say the Quick Step chat over dinner will be exactly on how to control the race from here on out. Having Alaphilippe, Gilbert, and Martin all up there makes it very much theirs to run with.

There's too much climbing for Gilbert to be a factor, but the other 2 lads are certainly in the hunt.

Advertisement