Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Hub: Port forwarding Local DHCP address

Options
  • 06-03-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Mods,
    I have this posted in the Virgin Media forum,

so I hope it is ok to post here also. I was just wonderng if any one here has any suggestions.

I have a friend who is not very technical and has asked me to look as his Virgin modem. His modem was changed and his cctv system stopped working.

I wasn't on-site so I connected remotely and could see that the ip address range had changed from 192.168.1.X to 192.168.0.X. His cctv system has a fixed IP of 192.168.1.250 set by the security installer. Not being on site I decided to try and change the local address on modem but when I tried to save the settings it said IP address invalid, see photo 1. So the local address couldn't be changed.

Another thing, when I created the port forwarding rule, see photo 2 and used a service to check if the port was open it showed that the port wasn't opened. I also disabled the firewall and the port was still showing as closed.

Has anyone here been sucessfull in opening ports on the virgin hub or even managed to change the local IP range? I wonder if Virgin have the modem locked down in some way?

Thanks in advance,
    Poco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Questions got answered here in case anyone is looking at this.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057713990

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other thread is here, for future reference.

Issue appears to have been a change in functionality of the Hub as a result of a service update enabling IPv6 and disabling port forwarding.

An alternative solution (assuming you have equipment and/or funds, and are able to set it up) is to put the hub in Modem Mode, then use your own router for DHCP and local subnetting, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fysh wrote: »
    An alternative solution (assuming you have equipment and/or funds, and are able to set it up) is to put the hub in Modem Mode, then use your own router for DHCP and local subnetting, etc.

You still need to get DSLite disabled carrier side as otherwise NAT is outside your control (on the v4 side anyways).

Advertisement