Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recently invented stuff that you have only just (or haven't yet) got the hang of.

• 06-03-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭

I have finally sorted out the difference between led lights and halogen lights for my kitchen light fitment. Halogen lights are hopeless, led is the way to go!

I am now aware that hybrid cars use electricity generated by the car, not plug in, and go from one to the other as needed. And they are automatic, which I find a little alarming.

I now kind of understand what an android phone is. Well I don't really, but I have one and it is a smart phone and not an iphone.

God be with the days...'tis far from all this techno stuff we were reared!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Looksee, how strange you brought up the subject of light bulbs. T'was only a couple of days ago one of the bulbs went in the house and I crawled under the stairs to find a replacement. There, lives a box full of light bulbs, various sizes, types, wattages or voltages or whatever, push-in, screw-in, clear, and frosted what we used to call 'pearl', golfball, candle, blister, capsule, halogen-this and Eco-that! In the bathroom are four little bulbs inset into the ceiling, I never wanted these but the bathroom fitter thought they would look cool and so did himself, so that's what we have. Its just three more than we really need, and four that need replacing more often than before. What has happened? Light bulb companies are laughing all the way to the bank, that's what happened! And guess what, I still haven't got the hang of them yet! I am presently scratching my head and wondering which of the pile of bulbs do I need to replace the spent bulb! Remember the days when if you needed a bulb, you bought a bulb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

JB, those 4 recessed bulbs are probably 50W each; you can get LED ones for 2-3 euro each in GU10 fitting
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xgu10+led.TRS0&_nkw=gu10+led+bulbs&_sacat=0

or sometimes less for the auction listing ones

looksee wrote: »
    I am now aware that hybrid cars use electricity generated by the car, not plug in, and go from one to the other as needed. And they are automatic, which I find a little alarming.

Why do you find it alarming that hybrid cars are automatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

looksee wrote: »
    I now kind of understand what an android phone is. Well I don't really, but I have one and it is a smart phone and not an iphone.

An operating system is the software that makes your phone work.

Android is an operating system created by Google.

Most manufacturers put Android on their phones - Samsung, Sony, LG etc.

Apple makes it's own operating system software and puts this on the iPhone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    JB, those 4 recessed bulbs are probably 50W each; you can get LED ones for 2-3 euro each in GU10 fitting
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xgu10+led.TRS0&_nkw=gu10+led+bulbs&_sacat=0

or sometimes less for the auction listing ones

I wouldn't be buying bulbs from ebay it's too full of fakes. You can them in ikea for a fiver and other retailers.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=LEDARE%20LED%20bulb%20GU10%20400%20lumen

http://www.woodies.ie/osram-4-8w-gu10-led-warm-white-3-pack-bulb-1123404

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

choons wrote: »
    An operating system is the software that makes your phone work.

Android is an operating system created by Google.

Most manufacturers put Android on their phones - Samsung, Sony, LG etc.

Apple makes it's own operating system software and puts this on the iPhone. :)

Thank you, that is the essential point that I was missing, that android just means the operating system. Having used Macs and Windows I understand OS's, I just hadn't twigged that that is what Android meant.
    Why do you find it alarming that hybrid cars are automatic?

That's really only a minor issue, just that I have been driving 'stick shift' for 50 years and I am kinda used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I will never understand computers, Just when you think you have a grasp on them, they update or change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Rubecula wrote: »
    I will never understand computers, Just when you think you have a grasp on them, they update or change.

Yep me too :o.

I used to, but they sort of passed me by - or maybe I stopped paying attention.

In my last job we were the first in the firm to get 286 pre-windows laptops. They used to run Supercalc 4 (an old Excel) but the firm used Supercalc 5. If you wanted to read the firms reports, you had to reconfigure the virtual memory. :confused:

Now I just about turn it on and type some drivvle.

9or10 wrote: »
    Yep me too :o.

I used to, but they sort of passed me by - or maybe I stopped paying attention.

In my last job we were the first in the firm to get 286 pre-windows laptops. They used to run Supercalc 4 (an old Excel) but the firm used Supercalc 5. If you wanted to read the firms reports, you had to reconfigure the virtual memory. :confused:

Now I just about turn it on and type some drivvle.

286? Luxury I have an old 1640 in my bedroom that we used in college. Mind you the main frame back then had punch cards to run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just don't understand Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc. I can't see what they are for when you have phones, emails et al.

• Advertisement

aimed at younger generations I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just don't understand Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc. I can't see what they are for when you have phones, emails et al.

Me too! I tried Facebook once and was very underwhelmed with it. Overwhelmed with unwanted information as well! :mad:

Dunno Rube, my oulwan friends are on it all the time. Its more for nosey people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I had a FB page for about 6 months. I had 4 friends. Then I got a friend request from an absolute scrote that lived locally. I couldn't delete the page quick enough. Nothing will ever convince me that having one is a good idea.
    I know how to use whatsapp :)

I use fb to keep in touch with friends and family so it is useful to me.... but I don't understand it.... nope, not at all.

Oh and since Killaloe radio ceased I am no longer a DJ, so I have a music group on there where I put up music posts especially for fp;lks who want a song but can't find them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Digital curtain twitching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oh and since Killaloe radio ceased I am no longer a DJ, so I have a music group on there where I put up music posts especially for fp;lks who want a song but can't find them
    Look into "Facebook Live Audio", so you can be the radio person via Facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I use facebook - I never put anything on my page, the only stuff there is things that people have shared to me. I don't look at other people's personal time lines either, I am not interested in what they had for breakfast. However I do run a couple of groups myself, for stuff I have a specific interest in, and I subscribe to a few other groups that are specific interest. They are well managed, no garbage, no messing, and some very talented and interesting people post about the particular topic. Used properly it is a valuable resource for whatever you enjoy, and for keeping up to date with local events etc. It is also mindless rubbish, but you do not have to read that stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

The vacuum cleaner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I gave up Facebook since it became full of just videos shared. I don't get Twitter at all, I'm signed up for other things but never use it. It just seems to be full of links to other websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I use FB. Well, I don't actually use my FB page - I just have it so that I can follow a couple of other pages which interest me (some history pages). I have the page completely private locked so that nobody can see it. Twitter etc. just don't interest me. How do people (presumably intelligent) spend hours search and reading Twitter.

Possibly what's worse is that politicians (and even Presidents) and the police, fire departments etc. all seem to have their Twitter accounts so again, I wouldn't be interested in that.

Now, a couple of years ago, I got one of these newfangled phones. I can't manage that!. There are 'hidden' places to tap; other places where you have to swipe left or right orup or down. Then do add or delete a phone number or address is almost impossible; I just keep going back to the shop I bought it from and get them to do it. They show me but as soon as I'm out the door I have forgotten. Why couldn't they just have put an accept or decline button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Snapchat ! I just don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Toilet paper.

Snapchat, what's that???????????????

Aimed at a whole host of people. On my friends list I can count 20+ "friends" all over the age of 60. Mostly relatives and inlaws.
    just that I have been driving 'stick shift' for 50 years and I am kinda used to it!

My mother(70) and my father (80) switched to automatic overnight and now say they'd never go back.

One less pedal and one less lever to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Snapchat is a photo app. You see people putting photos up with various funny/peculiar faces. Snapchat allows you to take these photos

Jrop wrote: »
    Snapchat is a photo app. You see people putting photos up with various funny/peculiar faces. Snapchat allows you to take these photos

I know what it is. What I don't know is why.

Jrop wrote: »
    Something similar to Pinterest? However, I am getting fed up with Pinterest as they send emails nearly every other day about new images - it was fine when there was one, once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

automatic doors that do not move as fast as I do :rolleyes:

Love the old ways of kind gentlemen opening doors for old ladies.... and to be able to open doors for eg mums with babies

Graces7 wrote: »

Love the old ways of kind gentlemen opening doors for old ladies.... and to be able to open doors for eg mums with babies

I always open doors for ladies.

Regularly get a nasty comment. Rarely get thanks.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

• Advertisement

Strange. I only receive thanks for doing so.

Graces7 wrote: »

Automatic doors that move faster than I do!!

Automatic doors that move faster than I do!!

Automatic doors that move faster than I do and close instead of open when I try to use them. Then open when I walk away.:o

And the three automatic doors in a row in to the shopping centre but only one is operating. But never the first one I walk to. What am I? A psychic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

THANK YOU!

Er, doors or old ladies?

Advertisement