Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place in NY to watch the 6 Nations

Options
  • 06-03-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Over Yonder for the Ireland v England game and want to watch it on the Sat. Last time I was over I watched a game in local pub and there was a $20 entrance fee. Emailed the Grafton pub in NY and its the same cover charge as provider of game charges this. Will this be the same for all Pubs and any others people can recommend to watch the game.
    Staying up in 100th Street but can get the subway there and friend coming in from Queens to watch it also
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

All the pubs I've been to have a cover charge for the game. Stout & the keg room in midtown will be showing it.
    Red lion downtown and obirens on 46th should be showing it also. If your friend is coming in from Queens and you are coming down from up town obriens near times square should suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

All the pubs I've been to have a cover charge for the game. Stout & the keg room in midtown will be showing it.
    Red lion downtown and obirens on 46th should be showing it also. If your friend is coming in from Queens and you are coming down from up town obriens near times square should suit.

Is this a normal thing? I'm staying in Brooklyn and wouldn't mind watching the game when I'm over, but I'm not paying $20 just to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Is this a normal thing? I'm staying in Brooklyn and wouldn't mind watching the game when I'm over, but I'm not paying $20 just to watch it.

Yes it's pretty normal. The pubs have to pay a large subscription fee to be able to show the game.

Yes it's pretty normal. The pubs have to pay a large subscription fee to be able to show the game.

Ah feck, do you know of any place that definitely doesn't do it?

Sorry, I'm a cheap bastard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The $20 cover charge is a scam. Some bars even say they legally have to charge which is nonsense.

There are bars who dont charge

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Do you the names of any in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I've emailed so many bars downtown Manhattan and all are charging $20 for entry and this is a charge set by Premium sports whom have the rights to it. Not like the pubs here where they can show them on the 'dodgy channels' for free maybe different over there?
    I will probably watch it in the Grafton or the Brass Monkey pub and both charging same price could be different in the burbs but not heading out there

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I've emailed so many bars downtown Manhattan and all are charging $20 for entry and this is a charge set by Premium sports whom have the rights to it. Not like the pubs here where they can show them on the 'dodgy channels' for free maybe different over there?
    I will probably watch it in the Grafton or the Brass Monkey pub and both charging same price could be different in the burbs but not heading out there

I was in the Red Lion for the second half of the Wales v England match last month and I wasn't charged at the door - not sure if it's the same for all games or maybe as we were late we weren't charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yep saw this and emailed some of these pubs and all charging so just will go with the flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The $20 cover charge is a scam. Some bars even say they legally have to charge which is nonsense.

If a bar is showing it via legal means then they do legally have to charge a $20 cover, as they sign a PPV contract with premium sports saying that they will charge it.

For some of the busier bars, premium sports even send some of their staff to take the money at the door.

Hopefully as rugby becomes more popular one of the other networks will outbid premium sports and it will become more available. For now it isn't ideal but it is also not a 'scam'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Hopefully as rugby becomes more popular one of the other networks will outbid premium sports and it will become more available. For now it isn't ideal but it is also not a 'scam'

That economic proposition is lost on me.

If another network steps in and pays more, the PPV price per pub will just go up which probably means that less places will show the matches. Unless Premium Sports are dong a crap job at selling the existing service and there is a large untapped demand which is unlikely as any pub with existing customers who want to see the 6 Nations have probably already been asked and decided not to show it.

coylemj wrote: »
    That economic proposition is lost on me.

If another network steps in and pays more, the PPV price per pub will just go up which probably means that less places will show the matches. Unless Premium Sports are dong a crap job at selling the existing service and there is a large untapped demand which is unlikely as any pub with existing customers who want to see the 6 Nations have probably already been asked and decided not to show it.

It is the economic proposition that works for 99% of sport.

Another network that gets the rights just doesn't run the same PPV model that targets bars. Their model may aim for consumers to sign up to their station/website for showing them and hope they stick around with their subscription afterwards. Rugby examples in the States like ESPN, NBCSN, and the Rugby Channel have the rights to Champions Cup, Premiership, and Pro 12 respectively and don't charge a PPV fee for games.

If a bar is showing it via legal means then they do legally have to charge a $20 cover, as they sign a PPV contract with premium sports saying that they will charge it.

For some of the busier bars, premium sports even send some of their staff to take the money at the door.

Well it is a scam considering there are bars who show the games from premium sports who do not charge.

Another scam I've seen here is the bar will charge the $20 but credit it back to you.

Well it is a scam considering there are bars who show the games from premium sports who do not charge.

Another scam I've seen here is the bar will charge the $20 but credit it back to you.

No, someone breaking a legal agreement with premium sports and not charging does not mean the others charging is a scam.

It's like saying paying for sky sports is a scam because someone you know has a dodgy box and the stations for free.

The $20 credit thing is because due to the agreement they have to charge you but they don't want to scare away customers so they give you credit. The bar doesn't get any of the $20, they're hoping you'll end up paying more

No, someone breaking a legal agreement with premium sports and not charging does not mean the others charging is a scam.

It's like saying paying for sky sports is a scam because someone you know has a dodgy box and the stations for free.

The $20 credit thing is because due to the agreement they have to charge you but they don't want to scare away customers so they give you credit. The bar doesn't get any of the $20, they're hoping you'll end up paying more

The bar might have to pay to get the coverage in but they dont have to pass it onto the customer so it is a scam.

Going by that logic pubs at home could charge the barstoolers to watch english football every sunday.

The bar might have to pay to get the coverage in but they dont have to pass it onto the customer so it is a scam.

Going by that logic pubs at home could charge the barstoolers to watch english football every sunday.

I'm starting to feel you don't know what the word scam means so I'll leave it at this.

The contract states they have to charge $20 a head entrance fee to customers. You might not like it but doing what a contract says is not a scam, the bars dont get a cent of the money.

I'm starting to feel you don't know what the word scam means so I'll leave it at this.

The contract states they have to charge $20 a head entrance fee to customers. You might not like it but doing what a contract says is not a scam, the bars dont get a cent of the money.

Not really bothered how you feel.

I'll still keep going to the bars who dont charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've watched rugby in bars all over the US and always had to pay $20 and receive a wristband. There's usually someone who comes around during the game to check and count wristbands. First encountered this during rwc2011 when I think the games were on Setanta America.

Not really bothered how you feel.

I'll still keep going to the bars who dont charge.
    What bars dont charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What if someone didn't want to watch the rugby?

Do they still have to pay the 20 euro just to get in?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What if someone didn't want to watch the rugby?

Do they still have to pay the 20 euro just to get in?
    It depends. With the time difference there are very few Americans in the any pub at 7/8/9am on a Saturday.
    But when Ireland played Wales on Friday afternoon if you were there for food or the basketball you didnt have to pay.
    They asked you at the door (My ireland jersey was a dead giveaway). However the same pub have me my money back when the sound didnt work for the 1st half.

Advertisement