Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital release to buy house abroad

• 06-03-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am an Irish citizen who has been living and working abroad for the last several years. I own a house in Ireland with no mortgage and currently have no real cash savings. The house is rented out and the income gives me a nice steady 8% ROI after expenses and tax.
    I am moving to South Africa for work in September and I would like to take out a mortgage on my house in Ireland in order to buy a house to live in in South Africa rather than pay rent. The mortgage would likely be less than 50% of the value of my house in Ireland. All going well I expect to repay the loan in full in around 2 - 2.5 years.
    So far all of the mortgage brokers I have spoken to say that this is impossible as they can not recognise my South African income. I do not want to take out a mortgage in South Africa as the interest rates there are currently at around 11%.
    Does anyone have any ideas on who may be able to help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

The mortgage brokers are correct you cannot get an equity release mortgage to purchase a property abroad. The only way around is to sell your existing property.

Advertisement