Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould on pot plant soil

Options
  • 06-03-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭

I have two pot plants in my window, one is a lily just starting to grow and the other is a small Bonsai tree which has been passed on to me to regenerate after having lost all its leaves, it's thriving in it's new location.

The pots are about a foot apart on the same windowsill and both have what looks like mould growing on top of their soil. This windowsill gets a lot of light which is why they're placed there.

Should I be doing something to get rid of the mould? It wipes off but comes back pretty quickly. My head says to get rid but I'm inexperienced when it comes to plants. Any advice would be appreciated.

Photos are attached

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Chances are it is mainly due to over watering in a cool room - the sunshine should be good but this time of year there is not a great deal of it. What kind of tree is it? Peace lilies don't need a lot of sunshine. Both those pots seem to have no drainage holes (fine for bonsai and bulbs) but you have to be a little more cautious with watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

looksee wrote: »
    Chances are it is mainly due to over watering in a cool room - the sunshine should be good but this time of year there is not a great deal of it. What kind of tree is it? Peace lilies don't need a lot of sunshine. Both those pots seem to have no drainage holes (fine for bonsai and bulbs) but you have to be a little more cautious with watering.

You're right, no drainage for the lily, it all came in a gift pack from M&S, would it be worth carefully removing to a suitable drainage pot at this stage or would that risk damage?

No idea what type other than it being a Bonsai, it's in a special Bonsai pot which does have drainage holes. I fear it's just picking up the mold from the lily pot?! It's very carefully watered, we're just fostering it to bring it back to life and are giving weekly photos which are getting the thumbs up from the owner. But it has picked up the mold in the last few days.

The room it's in is definitely warm and dry, recently insulated. The lily itself seems to be flying along as is the Bonsai which came to the house in dire condition.

I'll definitely be more cautious with the watering though, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could scrape off the mould and add a bit of fresh, but it may return. You said the bonsai had lost all its leaves, it is an evergreen, I suppose? Unless it is one that has been grown to keep indoors they usually prefer to live outside most of the time. Unless the lily compost is wet you do not need to move it, just water very carefully.

Btw I misread your post as saying it was a Peace Lily, so the comment about it not wanting full sun is probably incorrect.

I got that on a few of my plants. I got a small USB desk fan and I have that running most of the time now. The air movement has stopped the mold from growing.

What kind of bonsai tree is it? Ive got the exact same pot as in that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I assume it's evergreen! The owner has several which all flourish, this one I'm told died in a dark office and is with me for some tlc in my window, that would be funny if it's not evergreen :D the little leaves are growing for now but I'll have a word with the owner about putting it outside, thanks!

Thanks Denartha for the tip, glad it's not just me! When I was reading up on bonsai trees those pots seem specific to them with drainage holes in the bottom. Will let you know how I get on. Thank you both for the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement