Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life insurance definition of smoker?

• 06-03-2017 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I've been trying to get quotes online for life insurance. I smoke an e-cigarette only, no tobacco. Some companies give the option of choosing e-cig but some don't. Am I a smoker in their eyes or are all companies different on their views?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,079 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some insurers classify e-cig users as smokers, double check the policy documents when you get them to be sure, useful info here...
    Irish Life: at present someone who uses e-cigarettes (ie no other tobacco-related products) is classed as a non-smoker (Please note this may change in the future).

Aviva: smoker rates

Zurich: rate “e-smokers” at +50%, assuming that they have already been off (tobacco) cigarettes a minimum of 12 months, the reason being the likelihood of these smokers returning to full smoking habit is quite high.

Caledonian: considers anyone smoking tobacco or e-cigarettes, or anyone using nicotine replacement patches, gum etc in the past twelve months to be a smoker. Smoker rates will apply to that client.

New Ireland: classes e-cigarette users as non-smokers, but this is currently being reviewed.

Friends First: smoker rates

http://www.mortgagebrokers.ie/blog/financial-literacy/does-an-e-smoker-have-to-pay-higher-insurance-prices-like-a-smoker-does/

Advertisement