Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising after a tattoo, how long should I wait?

Options
  • 06-03-2017 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I got my first tattoo (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057682220) about 10 days now and was just wondering how long I should wait before I start exercising again?

Most of the aftercare articles I read said to avoid exercise or swimming while your tattoo heals up. Did they mean the first week or two while its scabbing over?

The tattoo looks pretty good at the moment, no scabbing with some minor flaking/dryness after a showe. I know it can take up to 4 weeks before its fully healed so I'm nervous about starting back running/training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've gone back to the gym the day after but I did avoid swimming and steam rooms etc for 4 weeks.

I only ever pat it dry and apply babanten and after 2 weeks I move to e45 cream. I've never seen it impact the healing of the tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

When ever you like just don't bother with swimming or steam rooms and pat it dry after a shower don't rub. Tattoos are suppose to flake while it's healing so don't pick then off let it heal naturally. Buy some bepanthom I think it's called it's for baby rash but works great and keeps the area from drying up. Don't put too much of it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Oh really? I'd heard that sweat has a similar effect to water on a tattoo?

I've just been using this cream (Panthenols - After tattoo skin care cream) since I got the tattoo. I would apply it 3-4 times each day, normally when I wake up, after I shower and just before I go to sleep. I was going to wait till I've used it all up and then start with the E45 cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

It depends on the placement and size of the tattoo and the type of training you are doing. You should really avoid soaking it, stretching it and sweating on it to allow it to heal properly. Personally I've left exercising and running for at least 2 weeks while healing tattoos, but these were large leg and rib pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Oh really? I'd heard that sweat has a similar effect to water on a tattoo?

I've just been using this cream (Panthenols - After tattoo skin care cream) since I got the tattoo. I would apply it 3-4 times each day, normally when I wake up, after I shower and just before I go to sleep. I was going to wait till I've used it all up and then start with the E45 cream.

All myth to be honest. Sweat won't affect it. Obviously if it's still sensitive you can't work out on the area it is.

But I got by just fine and I'm covered in them no healing problems.
    That cream is fine. Don't put to much of it on and make sure you rub it in well as in don't leave any white part of the cream visible.
    Water doesn't affect tattoos. Suds will from soap if it's an open wound. Also avoid using sprays near it. Happened to my mate wouldn't mind he's a tattoo artist but just forgot about it being their it got infected from it and stung like a bitch haha

Honestly everyone's different what could take you 2 weeks to heal could take others a month. Just look after it keep it clean and let air get at it and it will be fully healed in no time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement