Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business name mentioned on radio without consent

Options
  • 06-03-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Quick query - on a talk show which deals with consumer issues our business was mentioned as part of a do I have any comeback type question.

Surely, the radio station would have been obliged to contact us first before broadcasting this, at the very least to get our version of events?

Otherwise what is to stop any of us writing in and making a baseless claim about a company just because we don't like its owner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

http://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/

Fill out the complaint form and it will be investigated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I had something similar happen before with a female 'customer'.

In this instance the radio show (Joe Duffy Show) rang in advance of giving the person airtime to check her story with me.

Upon discussing the incident with the researcher they never let the woman on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Quick query - on a talk show which deals with consumer issues our business was mentioned as part of a do I have any comeback type question.

Surely, the radio station would have been obliged to contact us first before broadcasting this, at the very least to get our version of events?

Otherwise what is to stop any of us writing in and making a baseless claim about a company just because we don't like its owner?

There are absolutely no rules about mentioning a business name on air and the station has every right to do so.

They are supposed to be fair though.

However, if you feel they've made a false or unfair claim, you can make a complaint to the station in the first intance and demand a right to reply or you can lodge a complaint with the BAI.

If you feel it's liable, you need to contact a solicitor rather than BAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

Bandara wrote: »
    I had something similar happen before with a female 'customer'.

In this instance the radio show (Joe Duffy Show) rang in advance of giving the person airtime to check her story with me.

Upon discussing the incident with the researcher they never let the woman on air.

Can certainly understand that, And I would have had no issue if we had the opportunity to reply or at least have a statement read out. I would have thought without hearing both sides the radio station is leaving themselves wide open to claims from damaged parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Can certainly understand that, And I would have had no issue if we had the opportunity to reply or at least have a statement read out. I would have thought without hearing both sides the radio station is leaving themselves wide open to claims from damaged parties?

I'm not sure tbh

This seems to give some guidance on it:

https://www.lawyer.ie/defamation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are in the world of PR here not legal action or complaints.

You should certainly take it up with the radio station and tell them you feel you were unfairly treated. If you are polite and straightforward they will probably take your feedback on the chin. These programs are always looking for people to talk to for information and for comment so they will be happy to have someone to talk to if there are any issues in future.

You could also look at engaging a PR professional. This is making a big song and dance of it though if your company isn't really interested in getting coverage.

Making complaints? I don't know. Big companies get this every day of the week, but the vast majority of the time they just have to take it. They could threaten to complain or withdraw ads or whatever, but mostly, they don't. It's not worth fighting over.

One of the problems is that you can't really go on the air and rehearse a customer's issues. It is just a bad thing to do, even if you are clearly in the right. No customer wants to hear any supplier of theirs talking about what should really be another customer's private business on the radio.

Being mentioned on the radio, even in a somewhat negative context, is not necessarily a bad thing. It does raise the profile. And it will happen as a business grows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

PR wise, you're best to either ignore it if it's small.
    Or, if it's something like a minor screw up, it's your opportunity for great publicity.
    Go on air and fix the issue and some across as the lovely company.

Taking on your local media is usually not a great idea unless you've really been libeled in a very serious way.

Most coverage, even negative is a potential PR opportunity if you play it right.

Advertisement