Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting my fitness back

• 06-03-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking to get my fitness levels back up after about 4 years of nearly completely neglecting them!

I'm 31 and have decided to go back playing football with a club in Dublin. Not really planning on playing any matches for the short term, I'm more interested in training and getting my overall fitness levels back to a decent level and get healthy again. Haven't trained properly in nearly 4 years, move to Dublin coupled with a new job and a general laziness on my side, have meant I've piled on the pounds while my general fitness levels slide away to nothing.

I'm 6' exactly and at my heaviest weighted in about 16st 4lbs, so about 2st over what I would have been when I was regularly training and keeping in reasonably good overall shape. Over the last few weeks and months I've slowly gotten back into doing a bit of training, mainly running (3k-5k at a time) and have started back playing basketball, usually once a week.

Thankfully the weight has started to drop off fairly quickly, last weigh in on Saturday I was down to 15st 7, so happy with how that aspect is going. As I said I have started back training with a local football club here, 1 session down last week. This was where my lack of fitness really hit home! The legs felt ok, but my lungs weren't able for it! Found myself stopping every couple of minutes, pretty much gasping for air!

So finally to the reason for my post, I'm looking for ideas on how to improve that aspect of my fitness. I'm planning on starting back in the gym again this week so any type of exercise there anyone would recommend or anything extra people would recommend?

Open to suggestions and not afraid to try anything, so appreciate any feedback / advice / ideas anyone has.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Doing some cardio is always a good start. For the gym you should definitely talk to one of the PTs in the gym about what you're looking to get out of the gym. If you find the running starts hurting your knees or something maybe take the day off and go cycling or swimming.

Remember that losing weight is mostly about not eating too much crap. Cut out fizzy drinks if you drink them because they're pretty awful for you.

Good luck!

Advertisement