Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOT Lecturing - Non-Term Time Typical Work Week

Options
  • 06-03-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I work in the private sector as a programmer and I have been lecturing in an IOT one evening a week for quiet a number of years now. I thoroughly enjoy it and recently interviewed for an Assistant Lecture day time post as I feel I would like to move into this area full time. I have been given very good feedback on the interview and told it is quiet likely that I should hear very soon with regards to some sort of offer.

I have small kids and currently work a three day week for a software company (with the additional one evening lecturing in term time). I understand that I am leaving behind a three day week for a 40+ hour week during term time. But what I am really unsure about it what happens during say the summer break? From what I can see online the IOTs close around the 20th June until the 1st September. I would be willing to leave my three day week for 40+ hour weeks in term time if it meant I would then have time off or flexibility during the summer months with my kids off school - as this would basically balance out the two jobs total work hours per year, with the difference been when I get the time off (two days off a week v's term time flexibility) - if that makes sense?

Basically I am in the position where I really like my current job, but I also really like the lecturing. The money on my three day week would be more also than the lecturing job - but I am not as concerned about the money side of things - more about the work life effectiveness of the job move with regards to my children.

For me because I equally like both jobs the hours working in each then becomes a big decision factor. Can anyone with experience of working in IOTs give me an idea of the typical work week in non-term time. Do you get longer summer holidays or perhaps the flexibility to work from home with the kids during the summer weeks.

Obviously I cannot ask this type of questions to HR as it would look really bad, and as if I am only interested in the holidays - where as it is more to do with trying to decide with the pros and cons of both jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It depends on the contract you are offered.

Most likely, for an AL position, you will be on an hourly rate. So you are paid for the hours you teach. When teaching stops, you stop getting paid, however you will get paid for any exam corrections.

And that's all there is to it. You will not get paid outside of semester time, you will not get paid over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 qwerty1505

This question is based on it been a fixed term contract, rather than the pro-rata evening hourly rate I am currently on.

The short answer is that there is no typical week.

From June 20th to September 1st you are not obliged to be in work - all holidays.

Up until June 20th, it's typically exam correction, CA marks entering, general administrative duties including preparation for the next academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 qwerty1505

Thanks for the response, I did not realize the summer break was considered as vacation.

qwerty1505 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, I did not realize the summer break was considered as vacation.

Yes, it's awful. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, lecturers in IoT have 8-9 weeks off, from approx 20th/25th June to 1st Sep.

Great job.

Plus they get paid more than uni lecturers.

Plus their progression from AL to L is automatic, after serving your time.

Plus less/no pressure to do research, although many staff are active.

Do you get longer summer holidays or perhaps the flexibility to work from home with the kids during the summer weeks.

Here is a quote from a shop steward in an IoT:

"you are under no obligation whatsoever to set foot in the building between end-June and 1st Sep."

Geuze wrote: »
    Plus less/no pressure to do research.

Without meaning to drag the conversation off topic, I think it's more fair to say no incentives to do research.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DilemmaDan

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, lecturers in IoT have 8-9 weeks off, from approx 20th/25th June to 1st Sep.

Great job.

Plus they get paid more than uni lecturers.

Plus their progression from AL to L is automatic, after serving your time.

Plus less/no pressure to do research, although many staff are active.

Just to clarify this depends on institute and the sector you're coming from. If you're working in IT (I was) there is generally a pretty big drop in salary so while it is a great job in terms of flexibility it is not a well paying job (Masters required and minimum 3-5 years experience normally for permanent posts which PhD generally desirable) will earn just over 35k in the first year. After 10 years you'll be on 50k and eligible to progress. (Earlier if you manage to find the time to complete a PhD- this will also impact how much you work).

In my institute progression is not guaranteed to L scale and a large number of staff are at the top of the AL scale and trying to progress year, after year. This is easier with a PhD but you must also demonstrate research outside of a PhD and engagement within the institute/local community outside of your 20 teaching hours. (Again, impacting how much you work).

There is definitely pressure to research and publish and if the post is fixed term this will be a large part of future interviews.

During term time I'm teaching 20 hours a week for 13 weeks, in those weeks I'll be spending about 30 additional hours on prep and between 10-20 on research. My timetable is flexible enough that I get a day to work from home so it cuts out the commute and makes it easier to get things done in the working week.

At the end of teaching exam corrections tend to take up most of my time along with planning meetings. After terms time I'll normally take a few weeks off to unwind (It can be stressful and if you have a lot of undergrads they will approach you with issues you'd probably prefer not know about so the break in intensity is necessary). Outside of term time most of my time would be spent on research and reading new books, papers, etc. related to my teaching.

I really enjoy the job; it is quite flexible, the students your work with are great in my experience and the summer holidays are great. But it can sometimes be a difficult career if you're ambitious/passionate due to the public service nature of IoTs.

I'm surprised to hear that progression isn't automatic.

I'm familiar with one IoT, where the AL lecturer simply sent a letter to HR requesting progression to L, and it happened.

No interview, no criteria.

So at age 50, say, it seems to be possible to be top of the L scale at 79k.

Yes, the 18h + 2h Croke Park mean that the teaching load is high.

• Advertisement
Advertisement