Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a launch model. Good or Bad idea

Options
  • 06-03-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

I'd like to be able to play PS 2 and 1 games through HDMI and from what I gather the only way is via a launch edition PS3.

Ringing around some game stores none of them stock it because "it's not a reliable enough console to sell and guarantee the customer a problem free experience"

Is the original PS3 that unreliable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Later models of the PS3 will play PS1 games.
    For PS2 games pick up a 2nd hand PS2.

Yes. At this stage the launch day model is best avoided. Chances are you'll end up with a reflow model or one about to need to be reflowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Is the reflow not a good solution

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

All depends on who did it I suppose and how reliable the job was or if there is now a risk of further failure. Up to you, personally I'd avoid, but that's my choice.

The temptation is high. Because the image clarity playing old games on HDmi would be good... I guess??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is the reflow not a good solution

Reflow basically means the GPU chip has come away from the board and some clown has heated up the solder to melt it so that it forms a connection with the board again.

It's a temporary solution at best, you'll get at most 6 months out of it before it's a door stop, 2-3 months more than likely. You really need to get a PS3 reballed, replacing the ****ty lead free solder completely with leaded solder which is much more durable. A lot more expensive and at this stage very hard to find someone that will do it (or some clown saying they will reball and only do a reflow).

Launch models are kind of a disaster, best get a newer PS3 model and a PS2, and get the PS2 modded with a hard disk mod as they are even worse when it comes to failing due to awful quality DVD drives.

• Advertisement

What's this about the hard disk mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's this about the hard disk mod

If you get an older PS2 with a network adapter you can put a hard disk on the PS2. Great for saving on laser wear on that machine. I think now it's so advanced you can use a USB drive.

All you need is to put a few files on a memory card to get it to work (an action replay disc is all that is needed).

Not going to go into the details here but the mod is called freeMCboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd like to be able to play PS 2 and 1 games through HDMI and from what I gather the only way is via a launch edition PS3.

Ringing around some game stores none of them stock it because "it's not a reliable enough console to sell and guarantee the customer a problem free experience"

Is the original PS3 that unreliable??

There's a lot of PS2 games up on the store for PS3 and PS4 and any PS3 will play PS1 discs as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

From what I remember playing the ps2 games on the ps3 caused a lot of lag, but might of been my tv.

Luap wrote: »
    From what I remember playing the ps2 games on the ps3 caused a lot of lag, but might of been my tv.

Actually this is a good point. If you get a European PS3 the emulation is handled through software and said emulation is pretty miserable and causes a lot of lag. PS2 emulation is handled by hardware on the US and Japanese systems as they have the entire PS2 chipset on boards so emulation is near flawless.

• Advertisement

Do they still have the crap solder on the chips that cause all the problems

For anyone else, I found this information.

Sony has released many PS3 models, but one thing is common: All can play PS1 software. The emulator that Sony uses to play PS1 games that you buy on the PlayStation Store also lets you play PS1 disc games, Some games, such as Final Fantasy VIII, have some issues with the emulation process, and more information can be found on the PlayStation website. Again, ALL PlayStation 3 systems can play PS1 games.

PS2 software seems to be throwing a lot of people for a loop. A quick way to determine if you have b/c is to look at the PS3... does it have four USB ports? If so then yes, your system can play PS2 games. If you have one of the launch systems, the 20GB (model no. CECHB01) or the 60GB (model no. CECHA01), then you have a system that contains PS2 hardware and has maximum backwards compatibility. The website that I linked will provide information on specific games, but for the most part it should play as though you were using a PS2.

The other one with four USB ports is the 80GB (model no. CECHE01), which uses emulation to provide partial backwards compatibility. Most games will work, some will not, and others will play but have some issues, such as Metal Gear Solid 3 or Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories. If this is the PS3 you have, then the PS website will prove important, as it will give you the information you need to know before you buy or play the game; however, it does not provide info on new games released after mid-2008, when all PS3 models with b/c were discontinued. So, if you want to play Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories or Persona 4 on your PS3 with this model, you'll need to search the internet for information.

Any other PS3 cannot play PS2 games. This includes recent 80GB models, the 160GB, and the Slim (CECH-2001A). Though a patent was announced recently that indicates that Sony may be working on an emulator for PS3 models besides the three mentioned earlier, John Koller, SCEA's director of hardware marketing, has stated that PS2 compatibility will not be coming back. What this patent means is anyone's guess at this point, educated or not.

Short version:

- All PS3 models play PS1 games.

- Three PS3 models play PS2 games; one of which does not have full functionality.

- Any other PS3 models, including the Slim, cannot and at this time will not play PS2 games.

Advertisement