Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational psychology training- help!

Options
  • 06-03-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am new to Boards and I hope that someone might be able to guide me. I have long thought my goal was to become a clinical psych. However, it is a long, arduous road and now I am not sure if it is still for me. It is very uncertain therefore I am looking at other options. I have been looking at educational psychology and I actually think this may suit me better. I want to work with children! Most of my experience has been in the psychology department within child disability services. I completed a 9 month placement part time in a child disability service and published research with another child disability service. I have a masters in applied psychology and some further experience in community mental health services securing grants and developing mental health services/projects many of which were focused on providing mental health support for parents, families, adolescents and individuals with disabilities.

Do you think this experience would be relevant? I do not have a teaching qualification or experience. Also, how do others fund themselves through this training? Unfortunately, I would not be able to afford it without working part-time. Are student loans to cover fees feasible?

I greatly appreciate any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

WillowRod wrote:
    Do you think this experience would be relevant? I do not have a teaching qualification or experience. Also, how do others fund themselves through this training? Unfortunately, I would not be able to afford it without working part-time. Are student loans to cover fees feasible?

I'm in the middle of completing the doctorate at the moment. I think your experience sounds great. I think the emphasis on teaching experience varies depending on the university. I'm studying in the North. I'm not a teacher but worked in a learning support setting. In my year group half were teachers or had worked in schools (one senco and other varied sen experience eg autism settings) and the other half had experience in areas like social services. Only one has a masters but everyone would have had very high undergraduate results and at least 2 years experience working. It's all about how you can apply your experience to educational psychology and psychological theory. In the year below me none are teachers which is the first time that's happened! I've heard that UCD value teaching experience more and I didn't even get an interview when I applied so that may be true.

The course is funded in the North with an obligation to work there for 3 years after graduation so I can't help on that. I have heard of trainees in the Republic doing things like aba tutor work.. I'd imagine it's very tough doing that alongside the demands of the course, but needs must! It's absolutely ridiculous that there's no funding available..but that's another rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aooo

Hey, Just wondering does anyone know how many days per week are involved with the part-time doctorate in ed psych in UCD?

Advertisement