Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home; east aspect

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

All, unfortunately we have a terraced Dublin city house that is already north-east facing (its a typical 2up-2down redbrick, even though its a 3 bed house), we are looking to build an extension, any thoughts on this for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

James 007 wrote: »
    All, unfortunately we have a terraced Dublin city house that is already north-east facing (its a typical 2up-2down redbrick, even though its a 3 bed house), we are looking to build an extension, any thoughts on this for ideas.

assuming it's a kitchen/living space ?

there's a trend now is to have a roof line slanting upwards away from the existing structure to a high external wall which can take more glass. Other options are putting windows in the roof.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    assuming it's a kitchen/living space ?

there's a trend now is to have a roof line slanting upwards away from the existing structure to a high external wall which can take more glass. Other options are putting windows in the roof.
    Not too sure if that would work in our situation, I would have to see a good example. I had hoped to do an L-extension so that I would have a dog leg facing back towards the rear of the property, the garden length approx. 9m from the previous rear extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

James 007 wrote:
    Not too sure if that would work in our situation, I would have to see a good example. I had hoped to do an L-extension so that I would have a dog leg facing back towards the rear of the property, the garden length approx. 9m from the previous rear extension.

Sundays room to improve had it. Rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have east facing rear. Summer breakfast in the garden is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Recently bought a N facing rear property.
    Sacrificed location of property over aspect as demand in area was huge and prices rising rapidly.
    Although somewhat noticeable, it's not the end of the world!
    On nice days, I'd like to thing we'd be out and about enjoying the weather anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Recently bought a N facing rear property.
    Sacrificed location of property over aspect as demand in area was huge and prices rising rapidly.
    Although somewhat noticeable, it's not the end of the world!
    On nice days, I'd like to thing we'd be out and about enjoying the weather anyway!

Stupid question - do you get some sun or no sun ? is the grass/plants in the garden ok or do the suffer due to the lack of sun ?

I guess you got to sacrifice few things when you are buying house unless you are a wealthy individual and can buy the ideal property!

sweetie wrote: »
    Sundays room to improve had it. Rte player
    I had seen that, but that garden to me seem to be very bright and definately was not a south facing garden, perhaps I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think it was a south facing garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

James 007 wrote: »
    I had seen that, but that garden to me seem to be very bright and definately was not a south facing garden, perhaps I may be wrong.

Dermot Bannon stated the glass was to "take advantage of the wonderful south facing garden"

• Advertisement

Dermot Bannon stated the glass was to "take advantage of the wonderful south facing garden"
    I meant to say north facing, it was definately not a north facing garden, thats what we meant to say. However our garden is a north east facing, and I was wondering what solutions we could look at for an extension.

Advertisement