Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daffodils aren't blooming.

Options
  • 06-03-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I sowed daffodils end of last year, and only 10% have bloomed so far, which have fully bloomed. The rest have grown fully, apart from the flower heads.

Will the flower heads come eventually, or is this Normal.

Sowed in areas with plenty space, light, moisture etc.
    Thanks

Comments

Stan27 wrote: »
    Hey
    I sowed daffodils end of last year, and only 10% have bloomed so far, which have fully bloomed. The rest have grown fully, apart from the flower heads.

Will the flower heads come eventually, or is this Normal.

Sowed in areas with plenty space, light, moisture etc.
    Thanks

Give it time. Its been quite cold of late. Last winter was milder than normal so they bloomed quite early. Some of my plants have flowers already, some are still in hibernation mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they may also not flower this year - if this is the first season they've grown in situ, they may not have formed the flower bud before being uprooted and sold; but they should bloom next year if they don't bloom this year (but you'll need to leave the foliage in place - don't cut it back until it starts to die back naturally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

There is another possibility...

http://j.tinyurl.com/zn6ktfw

The bulb continues to grow but never flowers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Did the majority bloom last year and only 10% this year or did they flower at different times?

A feed of potash might help them to flower next year - not guaranteed - but worth a shot. I'm feeding the blind daffs this year and if they don't flower next year, they'll be dug out.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Did the majority bloom last year and only 10% this year or did they flower at different times?

A feed of potash might help them to flower next year - not guaranteed - but worth a shot. I'm feeding the blind daffs this year and if they don't flower next year, they'll be dug out.

None grew last year atall. Half thinking I sowed them wrong, but can't see how.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mentioned sowing them 'end of last year' - you meant end of 2015 or 2016?

Advertisement