If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k ARC with HDMI 1.4 reciever

Options
  • 06-03-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I picked up a Panasonic TV from you last year (50CX802) and I'm still absolutely delighted with it. The built in apps and the tuners all pass multi channel audio to my old Yamaha receiver (also provided by yourselves) and all was well in the world.

I recently purchased an NVidia Shield Android TV box and I have it connected to HDMI1 on the TV. If I try to send encoded audio I just get silence (PCM seems to work OK). If I connect the Shield to the amp then the audio works just fine, but obviously it only works at 1080p. 

Is the problem down to HDCP 2.2 not liking the HDMI 1.4 receiver? If so, is the solution to replace the receiver with a HDMI 2.0 one?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

stimpson wrote: »
    I picked up a Panasonic TV from you last year (50CX802) and I'm still absolutely delighted with it. The built in apps and the tuners all pass multi channel audio to my old Yamaha receiver (also provided by yourselves) and all was well in the world.

I recently purchased an NVidia Shield Android TV box and I have it connected to HDMI1 on the TV. If I try to send encoded audio I just get silence (PCM seems to work OK). If I connect the Shield to the amp then the audio works just fine, but obviously it only works at 1080p. 

Is the problem down to HDCP 2.2 not liking the HDMI 1.4 receiver? If so, is the solution to replace the receiver with a HDMI 2.0 one?
    Hi stimpson,

Have you connected the Android box to the AV Receiver and the TV via two HDMI cables or have you got the TV connected to the amp via optical for the Android sound? If it is optical you may only get PCM as some optical outputs will not carry a multichannel stream unless you change the settings in the television or on the Android box. Let me know how you have it connected and I'll see what I can find out.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm not using optical - just HDMI eg:

Setup 1 (gives 4K picture, no sound):

Box-->TV HDMI1 

TV HDMI2(ARC)-->Receiver

Setup 2:

Box-->Receiver HDMI1 (gives 1080p picture and sound):

Receiver HDMI Out -->TV

Box-->TV HDMI1 

TV HDMI2(ARC)-->Receiver

Setup 2:

Receiver HDMI Out -->TV
    Hi Stimpson,

From looking at your set up the reason you are not getting any sound on set up 1 is because if you run two HDMI inputs on the TV, HDMI 1 will cancel out HDMI 2 and the ARC will not work. The ARC is really only for sources that are built into the TV already, once you select HDMI one, HDMI 2 will switch off and not output at all so you will get video from HDMI 1 but the AV receiver will not be receiving a signal. The only way to do this would be on setup 2 or have an Optical cable coming from the TV to the AV receiver for the Android box sound.

I hope you have found this information useful. Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

David

Box-->TV HDMI1 

TV HDMI2(ARC)-->Receiver

Setup 2:

Receiver HDMI Out -->TV
    Hi Stimpson,

From looking at your set up the reason you are not getting any sound on set up 1 is because if you run two HDMI inputs on the TV, HDMI 1 will cancel out HDMI 2 and the ARC will not work. The ARC is really only for sources that are built into the TV already, once you select HDMI one, HDMI 2 will switch off and not output at all so you will get video from HDMI 1 but the AV receiver will not be receiving a signal. The only way to do this would be on setup 2 or have an Optical cable coming from the TV to the AV receiver for the Android box sound.

I hope you have found this information useful. Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

David

ARC on HDMI 2 runs regardless of the input selected - it just won't pass through DTS or Dolby. If I use the Plex app and turn on Audio passthrough (so the Receiver can do the decoding) then I get no sound. Other apps on the Shield output stereo just fine.

I installed SPMC on the Shield last night which is a fork of Kodi and has much more sophisticated audio settings. After much testing I think I've figured out what is happening. The TV will only pass through PCM channels over ARC. Neither Dolby, DTS, TrueHD or DTS-HD will pass through at all.

The issues I have with Plex with 4K content seem to be when Plex is attempting to transcode DTS-HD and TrueHD audio streams. It seems to transcode anything else to PCM and that has been passing through just fine up to now.

Hint: This would be a good opportunity to offer me a deal on a Yamaha RXV481 and a set of Banana Plugs delivered to Dublin :)

Edit: the Onkyo TXNR555 looks like it might be a better bet - can I get a quote on that too?

• Advertisement

I installed SPMC on the Shield last night which is a fork of Kodi and has much more sophisticated audio settings. After much testing I think I've figured out what is happening. The TV will only pass through PCM channels over ARC. Neither Dolby, DTS, TrueHD or DTS-HD will pass through at all.

The issues I have with Plex with 4K content seem to be when Plex is attempting to transcode DTS-HD and TrueHD audio streams. It seems to transcode anything else to PCM and that has been passing through just fine up to now.

Hint: This would be a good opportunity to offer me a deal on a Yamaha RXV481 and a set of Banana Plugs delivered to Dublin :)

Edit: the Onkyo TXNR555 looks like it might be a better bet - can I get a quote on that too?
    Hey Stimpson.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for the info above. Kodi is not something I use myself so wan't to sure on how it processed its audio.

Lets see what we can do on some amps for you.
    Yamaha RXV481 priced at £289.00 with £6.99 shipping. (very little movement on this amp - I could offer free shipping)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201987-rxv481.aspx

The Onkyo 555 is now finished with ourselves with no more stock available.

There are still the 444 priced at £269.00 with £6.99 shipping (I could offer at £258 with free shipping)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201456-txsr444.aspx

Or the 656 priced at £379.00 again with £6.99 shippping. ( I could drop to £347.99 with free shipping)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202035-txnr656.aspx

Or perhaps even the Denon AVRX2300 which is priced at £399. ( I could offer one for £360.00)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202128-avrx2300.aspx

Let me know if any of these catch your eye.

Hey Stimpson.

Thanks for the info above. Kodi is not something I use myself so wan't to sure on how it processed its audio.

Yamaha RXV481 priced at £289.00 with £6.99 shipping. (very little movement on this amp - I could offer free shipping)

There are still the 444 priced at £269.00 with £6.99 shipping (I could offer at £258 with free shipping)

Or the 656 priced at £379.00 again with £6.99 shippping. ( I could drop to £347.99 with free shipping)

Or perhaps even the Denon AVRX2300 which is priced at £399. ( I could offer one for £360.00)

Ah, that's completely unfair. The Denon was way over budget and not even on my radar. Now it's only very over budget. Let me see how much I can syphon from the kids college fund. I'll give you a bell tomorrow.

Oh, BTW - I did more research and ARC is speced only for PCM - It doesn't support Dolby or DTS. Mystery solved.

Hey Stimpson.

Ah, that's completely unfair. The Denon was way over budget and not even on my radar. Now it's only very over budget. Let me see how much I can syphon from the kids college fund. I'll give you a bell tomorrow.

Oh, BTW - I did more research and ARC is speced only for PCM - It doesn't support Dolby or DTS. Mystery solved.
    Sorry about that :o

Thanks again for the info on the ARC.

The courier arrived after lunch, and I've spent the past hour setting up. The sound out of this (even with my bargain basement speakers) is phenomenal. I've heard it said before that it doesn't matter where the decoding happens as it will all sound the same, but the rear channel is far more pronounced than with my previous setup (possibly down to the Audyssey setup?).

The main thing is that passthrough is working on Plex (yay!). Also, for some reason, I'm now getting HDR indicated on the TV for UHD content from the Shield box. It wasn't happening with a direct connection from the box to the TV so I'm not sure why it's working now, but I'm delighted it is! Colours are noticeably more saturated. Oh, and music is amazing. I can hear detail that wasn't present previously.

I'm going to stop now before I sound like a audiophile journalist, but I just wanted to say thanks for the deal. The Denon was well worth blowing the budget for!

The courier arrived after lunch, and I've spent the past hour setting up. The sound out of this (even with my bargain basement speakers) is phenomenal. I've heard it said before that it doesn't matter where the decoding happens as it will all sound the same, but the rear channel is far more pronounced than with my previous setup (possibly down to the Audyssey setup?).

The main thing is that passthrough is working on Plex (yay!). Also, for some reason, I'm now getting HDR indicated on the TV for UHD content from the Shield box. It wasn't happening with a direct connection from the box to the TV so I'm not sure why it's working now, but I'm delighted it is! Colours are noticeably more saturated. Oh, and music is amazing. I can hear detail that wasn't present previously.

I'm going to stop now before I sound like a audiophile journalist, but I just wanted to say thanks for the deal. The Denon was well worth blowing the budget for!
    Hey Stimpson.

Excellent news!!!!

The Denons are really hard to beat and packed with features.

:D

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.