Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Wi-Fi Issues

• 06-03-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone else experiencing extremely low wi-fi signals on their switch? Bought mine on Friday and the signal is at 1 bar and at times dropping out altogether while all other electronic devices in the exact same room are getting full signal when tested. Not sure if I should try and get a replacement and if it's faulty or if this is how it is on all of the switch consoles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It seems to be common unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had the same with the WiiU tbh, an ethernet adapter sorted it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just 1 of a few problems the Switch is experiencing.

Here Are The Biggest Problems Gamers Are Having With The Nintendo Switch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/03/06/here-are-the-biggest-problems-gamers-are-having-with-the-nintendo-switch/#599d14821618

Had the same problem with the Wii U. I have to use a Nintendo LAN adapter and a powerline wi-fi extender. I was only talking about this either yesterday or the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Yep, mine is awful. Had the wonderful download speed of 52kbps ten feet from my router yesterday.

Gamestop tried to tell me today that nothing is wrong with as it is actually connecting to the Internet, just at a snails pace. They wouldn't let me return it today, I have to go back down tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd say this can be sorted with firmware, I'm getting the same even beside a WiFi point in the house....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd say this can be sorted with firmware, I'm getting the same even beside a WiFi point in the house....

Same thing happened a lot of ps4s when they first came out. There was a fix involving some sort of reset. Had to do it myself. Can't remember the specific problem but I'd wager it'll be pretty easily sorted shortly.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Same thing happened a lot of ps4s when they first came out. There was a fix involving some sort of reset. Had to do it myself. Can't remember the specific problem but I'd wager it'll be pretty easily sorted shortly.

Only thing that sorted it for PS4 was the slim console, ugh....

I had to buy homeplugs the WiFi was that bad on the OG PS4 model....

Only thing that sorted it for PS4 was the slim console, ugh....

I had to buy homeplugs the WiFi was that bad on the OG PS4 model....

When I first got myps4 it connected to my router which was right beside the console abut delivered super slow speeds. Googled problem and some sort of reset involving internet settings and hard resetting console fixed it for good. Such a pity that early adopters get hit with a lot of these issues on all types of tech though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Had awful issues with the Wii and WiiU but switch seems OK so far.

Turn security off on the router, see if anything changes. Disconnect other devices, especially if your router has 1 antenna and youve got an old laptop or something dragging it down.

If looking to return it helps to be able to show that the connection is poor in multiple scenarios where the only constant is your switch - eg multiple routers, multiple providers, even test against another switch on same connection. Stops them fobbing you off.

The more I think about this, the more it's wrecking my head - I am tempted to return my Switch but not so enamoured about losing my Zelda save, at the same time, if it's just software it should be sorted in a FW update...

I can't imagine trying to play MK8 online out and about if the WiFi signal is one bar and my phone beside me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    I have the Huawei B593s-22 that I got off Amazon directly and all is working fine and has been since I got it.....except the last few days when I have been using it with my new Nintendo Switch! The Switch stutters when playing video trailers from the eShop!? I connected the Switch to my phone (Nexus 6P) via a hotspot and the stutters went away completely? It also downloaded the Zelda update before I could play it and it took at least 30 - 40 mins to download it? Anyone else have a Switch and having issues with it when connected to the B593s-22? I'm able to stream Netflix in 1080p without any issues so I am thinking it's the Switch that's at fault rather than the router?

Does the switch use 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz, I would assume as it's 2017 that 5Ghz would be suported? I may need to mess around with my router tonight as it seems to be the one at fault rather than the switch?

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have the Huawei B593s-22 that I got off Amazon directly and all is working fine and has been since I got it.....except the last few days when I have been using it with my new Nintendo Switch! The Switch stutters when playing video trailers from the eShop!? I connected the Switch to my phone (Nexus 6P) via a hotspot and the stutters went away completely? It also downloaded the Zelda update before I could play it and it took at least 30 - 40 mins to download it? Anyone else have a Switch and having issues with it when connected to the B593s-22? I'm able to stream Netflix in 1080p without any issues so I am thinking it's the Switch that's at fault rather than the router?

Does the switch use 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz, I would assume as it's 2017 that 5Ghz would be suported? I may need to mess around with my router tonight as it seems to be the one at fault rather than the switch?

Thanks,
    M

It's the console Mo

I'm getting it on a technicolour router also...

Plenty of WiFi issues on Google

It's the console Mo

I'm getting it on a technicolour router also...

Plenty of WiFi issues on Google

But how come when I use my phone as a hotspot I don't get any issues?? The videos play without stuttering?

madmoe wrote: »
    But how come when I use my phone as a hotspot I don't get any issues?? The videos play without stuttering?

No idea, just tried tethering it to my phone there and I'm getting same amount of bars as console yet my phone is 6ft from console and my WiFi point is 1FT away

Very odd and I'm not sure now if it's hardware or firmware, tried a few router setting and no change....

Turned off firewall and enabled game mode

Is it possible to connect it through Ethernet. Should tell you if it's a wireless problem or a nat issue.

Is it possible to connect it through Ethernet. Should tell you if it's a wireless problem or a nat issue.

I don't have an adapter unfortunately, I have 2 WiFi homeplugs, 1 in bedroom about 1FT from console and 1 in kitchen and router in hall...

I do have a free ethernet connection in room on the homeplugs, I'll have to get an adapter and rule it out but there are so many devices connected to WiFi in my house and no other ones have issues...

I don't have an adapter unfortunately, I have 2 WiFi homeplugs, 1 in bedroom about 1FT from console and 1 in kitchen and router in hall...

I do have a free ethernet connection in room on the homeplugs, I'll have to get an adapter and rule it out but there are so many devices connected to WiFi in my house and no other ones have issues...
    The fact that it appears to work with your phones hotspot would prompt me to believe that like several other consoles over the years the ports it uses to get across to the net are restricted by default in home router but open on your phone which should mean an easy fix.

Try putting the ip of your switch in the dmz section of your modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

The fact that it appears to work with your phones hotspot would prompt me to believe that like several other consoles over the years the ports it uses to get across to the net are restricted by default in home router but open on your phone which should mean an easy fix.

I'm having trouble with home WiFi as well...
    Using my phones hotspot (currently downloading the demos for Tetris and Dragon Quest I+II).
    How do I put the ip of the Switch in the dmz section if you don't mind me asking?

I've already turned on and off game mode on the router, have ports set up for the kids 2DS and 3DS with no issues...

It works with my WiFi, it's not "not working" or anything... it's just really slow compared to every other device that chugs off the WiFi in the house...

And now I've just undocked it, stayed pretty much where the dock is and the signal is nearly twice as fast...

That would lead me to believe the dock may half block the signal or am I reading into this too much?

In fairly handy with a lot of this stuff...

I will wait til the first Fw update and see what happens...

I'm having trouble with home WiFi as well...
    Using my phones hotspot (currently downloading the demos for Tetris and Dragon Quest I+II).
    How do I put the ip of the Switch in the dmz section if you don't mind me asking?

Open up your router page, type :

192.168.1.254 into your browser (or 192.168.1.0 if not) and it should bring you to the router page, under security options you should see a section for the DMZ, check your connection on switch itself and you should see the IP address of the console 192.168.1.**

The star means it could be anything there, .52 or whatever it assigns it - pop that into the DMZ box and see does it make a difference...

Every router is different so the names of some of the above could be different on your router...

• Advertisement

I've already turned on and off game mode on the router, have ports set up for the kids 2DS and 3DS with no issues...

It works with my WiFi, it's not "not working" or anything... it's just really slow compared to every other device that chugs off the WiFi in the house...

And now I've just undocked it, stayed pretty much where the dock is and the signal is nearly twice as fast...

That would lead me to believe the dock may half block the signal or am I reading into this too much?

In fairly handy with a lot of this stuff...

I will wait til the first Fw update and see what happens...
    Be interesting to see how it goes. Happening plenty in the us aswell.
    I'm no tech wizard but I went through torture trying to get decent connection for cod back in the PS3 days with an eircom router trying to chase the fabled nat1.
    Dmz seemed a good cure all but now that I read back your saying signal itself is weak rather than not getting acess. Different type issue??

Open up your router page, type :

192.168.1.254 into your browser (or 192.168.1.0 if not)

As callous as it is to use someone else's misery to score points, wouldn't this be easier if there was a browser on the switch? *ducks*

Sky router defaults to 192.168.0.1 - when in doubt run ipconfig or similar, your router is probably also your dhcp server and default gateway.

Pretty sure you can see the switch's current IP from its own networking dialog. Yup - system settings, internet. Your IP and router should be there. Also, test connection does exactly that. Gives you an up and download speed. Mine is shocking, now I look at it but its not far off the max my crappy connection can sustain!

Banjo wrote: »
    Mine is shocking, now I look at it but its not far off the max my crappy connection can sustain!

Do you find your WiFi up and down like a yo-yo by any chance?

Any different with undocked/docked mode?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I too had troubles with wifi and my Switch!
    Then I checked on my other devices hooked up via Wifi, surprisingly few, and found that resetting the router (turning it off and back on again) did the trick.
    Now full bars!
    Woohoo!

Do you find your WiFi up and down like a yo-yo by any chance?

Any different with undocked/docked mode?

I was undocked when I ran the test. The upload/download test gave pretty poor results but then I don't think it was much below what's available on my pretty poor internet connection, and I'm fairly sure that my wife's antique laptop's NIC drags things down a little, so at this point I'm not worried about it. I reboot my router every night so I don't think that's going to help but there may be a difference in speed if I, for example, unplugged my WiiU, turned Wifi off on my 3DS and phone and wife's phone and android box and TV and tablet and laptop... jesus, I have a lot of Wifi-connected devices going at once. Didn't have any issues when I tethered it to my phone for the initial Zelda and Day 1 patches so I'm not going to get too upset just yet.

Hi all,
    I've connected it to the WiFi here in work and it plays trailer videos fine with NO stuttering like it does when I am connected at home! Thus, I feel it's not the Switch that's at fault but my router. Someone on another thread suggested adding the IP of the Switch to the DMZ on my router to see if that helps.....I'll be trying that tonight!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Aren't DMZ servers a security risk? I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject but have read that a few times online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Ah ****e, have just splurged on a new Switch 'for the kids', in transit as we speak, looks like I'll have to dust off the ol' ethernet wires from the attic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I just got a new modem from virgin media. Connection is far better

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »
    I just got a new modem from virgin media. Connection is far better

5ghz one?

My Switch is still off in UK getting fixed, I ended up getting the ethernet adapter for it from Amazon...

Finger's crossed I get it back before Mario Kart!

Advertisement