Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester next for Katie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

2 rounds to Crolla, which 2???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Burial. wrote: »
    120-107 Linares. A shutout Andre Ward would be proud of. Crolla just isn't a world level fighter.

I'd have said 120-107 as well but 118-109 is fine, I was half expecting a few 115-113 cards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

snowflaker wrote: »
    2 rounds to Crolla, which 2???
    Must have given him the 8th and probably the 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anthony, what went wrong?...I'm bang average. Nothing went wrong.

walshb wrote: »
    Anthony, what went wrong?...I'm bang average. Nothing went wrong.

What a daft question.. Crolla should just have said 'WHAT WENT WRONG !!! Did you not watch the ****ing fight ???' 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

pac_man wrote: »
    Linares is lovely to watch but there's always that vulnerability about him. I could see something along the lines of Garcia initially losing a few early rounds but would eventually stop him.

For sure. Very vulnerable in a dogfight. Gaping holes in his defence if the opponent can keep pressing him.

Mikey, although not a pressure fighter, would beat him convincingly enough I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

"Anthony Corolla has big balls"

Sky Presenter "sorry for anybody who might be offended by that"

Wtf planet are these people with Sky on? It's nearly midnight and we just watched 2 people try to knock each other out for 12 rounds

I laughed when they were asking who's the best at lightweight:

Mikey Garcia, Jorge Linares, or Terry Flanagan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

"Anthony Corolla has big balls"

Sky Presenter "sorry for anybody who might be offended by that"

Wtf planet are these people with Sky on? It's nearly midnight and we just watched 2 people try to knock each other out for 12 rounds

It will probably be repeated, unedited about 7 times across all the sky sports channels for the next week

Yeah the Demarco fight is a prime example. Looked the business for the majority of the fight then buckled under pressure.

The fight after against that slugger Thompson too. Looked defenceless. Roach deserves some of the credit for that and Linares is clearly a bit cuter now, but that flaw is still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Yeah the Demarco fight is a prime example. Looked the business for the majority of the fight then buckled under pressure.

I still believe that was a bad stoppage. The cuts were there from early in the fight so why stop it that late? I didn't think he was in bad enough trouble to stop it and was well ahead on points in my book.

Not sure if Lawrence Okolie has fought but would fancy him to stop his opponent.

Yeah Okolie knocked his opponent out after 20 seconds

It's gas, they do be apologising at five in the morning aswell :D
    None of that corporate bollix with boxnation.

Time of the morning or not standards still should be in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Henno30 wrote: »
    I laughed when they were asking who's the best at lightweight:

Mikey Garcia, Jorge Linares, or Terry Flanagan :D

Think it's Garcia until Lomachenko moves up

titan18 wrote: »
    Think it's Garcia until Lomachenko moves up

Vasyl doesn't at all seem over eager to move up. He seems to reckon that he has physical limitations. I wouldn't expect him at LW for a while yet. Linares would be a real tough fight for him, because Linares is a decent natural sized LW. Garcia another bigger man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Katies fights seem to divide opinion. Some just aren't interested in womans boxing and will just slate it no matter how good it is.

Are you excited watching her fight so far? Sky seem to be doing a good job in marketing her but feel they are going a bit OTT.

Well there's no interest in seeing someone win all 8 rounds comfortably with nothing on the line. Katie went out and won without stretching herself. Fair play to her. Onto the next.

Give her a world title fight and there will be interest from all over.

Yeah serious drop in standards because someone said balls in the heat of the moment after punching the head off someone for 12 rounds. Do sky not put out some warning about flashing lights and offensive language before the broadcast? If so, that should suffice.

I never mentioned last night's "issue."

Katies fights seem to divide opinion. Some just aren't interested in womans boxing and will just slate it no matter how good it is.

Are you excited watching her fight so far? Sky seem to be doing a good job in marketing her but feel they are going a bit OTT.

Her fighting complete punchbags means nothing to me. I watch her, but will wait until she is actually tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Linares is very impressive but the way Sky were going on you'd swear he was P4P number 1. Crolla is just above average and someone like Linares should be doing what he did last night to him. I think Mikey Garcia stops Linares.

Understandbly he's probably learnt from the Salido fight not to rush into fights with bigger guys. Ive no doubt that he'd fight them, probably just needs time. It wasn't long ago that we were talking about him fight Rigo.

But facing Salido he was facing the same weight man who came in fat. Linares, for example would require Lomachenko moving up in weight against a now natural LW fighter. It's not the same as him agreeing to meet Salido.

Btw, the Salido fight he could have, and should have won, maybe even via stoppage. Loma spent a bit too much time threatening as opposed to doing. When he got going and went to work he was in command, and finished like a train. The loss haunts him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

walshb wrote: »
    Vasyl doesn't at all seem over eager to move up. He seems to reckon that he has physical limitations. I wouldn't expect him at LW for a while yet. Linares would be a real tough fight for him, because Linares is a decent natural sized LW. Garcia another bigger man.

Really, cos he's talked numerous times about wanting to move up.In relation to a fight against Pacqiauo at 135, he said
    "If this fight will be at 135 weight category - I'm ready. At 135 - I'm ready. At 140, no - it's too big for me. My [walking] weight now is 138," Lomachenko explained to BoxingScene.com.

and on a Garcia - Lomachenko fight, Arum said
    "Of course [I would do that fight]. The past is the past. I would agree with Vasyl, that Garcia-Lomachenko would be a very good fight, that Garcia is one the few fighters around who would even be a test for Lomachenko. So of course I would be happy to do that fight. One thing, you don't stay in this business for 51 years and keep grudges"

I'd expect Lomachenko to be moving to 135 in his next 2/3 fights tbh. If he gets someone like Salido, Corrales or Berchelt to face him, he'll fight again at 130, otherwise I'd see him moving up for Garcia or Linares.

Plenty of examples of him speaking about moving up with a tone of playing it down a bit. Just my take. Not that he won't move up, just that he seems aware of the size limitations. He seemed to imply that his frame isn't really conducive to going up much in weight.

But he didn't face someone at the same weight. Salido came in over 2 pounds heavier in the weigh in and was 147 pounds on the night. The weight advantage was very significant in the fight.

Yes, as I said he weighed in fat. He was the featherweight champion. Loma was not moving up in weight to fight him. It was set for 126. It is not the same as Loma clearly rising in weight to meet elite LWs and above. Surely you get my point?

Btw, I agree, Salido's extra weight was a factor. I still think Loma should have won.

Actually, Salido's dirty fighting had more significance than him lugging around 147 lbs for a featherweight.

Well there's no interest in seeing someone win all 8 rounds comfortably with nothing on the line. Katie went out and won without stretching herself. Fair play to her. Onto the next.

Give her a world title fight and there will be interest from all over.

To my untrained eye she seemed to take a couple of shots that she could have avoided as she appeared to be rushing in a bit trying to get the stoppage instead of picking her off from distance or maybe she just wasn't worried about Koleva's punch power. But as I said my eye is untrained so I stand to be corrected on that.

Like?

YouTube some of Loma. He speaks here and there on rising in weight. He speaks honestly when he kind of alludes to it being tough due to his physical size.

Anyway, I never said he won't rise. I simply said that to me he doesn't seem overly eager. It's not a primary goal at this time, and he has recently mentioned his enjoying 130 and what it offers.

Will she be actually tested?

I have no idea. I should think so. Surely at the top the opponents have to be clearly superior to the absolute cans she has faced? If not, what's it all for?

To my untrained eye she seemed to take a couple of shots that she could have avoided as she appeared to be rushing in a bit trying to get the stoppage instead of picking her off from distance or maybe she just wasn't worried about Koleva's punch power. But as I said my eye is untrained so I stand to be corrected on that.

Spot on analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The 2 minute rounds are a bit odd and hard to get used to, especially when all the fights on the card before then are 3 minute rounds, is there a reason for the shorter rounds in womens boxing?

Honestly I'd have litte interest, couldn't tell you anything about womens boxing. Wait till she wins a world title though and she will be hailed by the media the greatest thing ever and if only we had some male boxers who were as good as her etc. etc.

I am happy with two minutes. Really, if you can't stop these nobodies over 16 minutes of action do we need another 8 minutes? The stoppages would be mainly from accumulation and body break down, as Katie's trainer alluded to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Hearn has put big emphasis on "entertainment" in many of his comments about Taylor's transition to the pro ranks. I think he's trying to make her as marketable as possible to US televsion audiences, and this need to be all-action may explain why some of her work is rushed.

For marketing purposes he'd no doubt like to see her score a spectacular KO. In terms of boxing hype nothing speaks louder than leaving her opponent in a crumpled heap.

But so far, although Katie has punished impressively, she hasn't delivered one truly devastating finisher.

Advertisement