Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped Off by Stena

• 06-03-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm from Meath but regularily get the ferry to Scotland (usually 4 times/year with car plus a few foot passenger journeys).
    Midway through booking a ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan, the website locked and I had to press refresh. However, I didn't notice that the website reversed by ferry direction.

When I arrived at the port, I was charged £82.31 to correct the booking. The modification took less than a minute and involved just a few clicks of a mouse. I then had to modify my return journey (but can't find the receipt).

We wrote to Stena, pointing out that I had spend €1700 in the previous 12 months, even giving them bookings and dates, to show that I was actually a very good customer.

Stena did not even reply to my wife's letter.

That was almost a year ago and in the past year I have only spent €160 (two foot passenger tickets).

I am now booking this years holiday to Scotland and am pleased to say I will not be using Stena.

So Stena, was it really worth it to rip off your customers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its been a year just let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

andrewk08 wrote: »
    I'm from Meath but regularily get the ferry to Scotland (usually 4 times/year with car plus a few foot passenger journeys).
    Midway through booking a ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan, the website locked and I had to press refresh. However, I didn't notice that the website reversed by ferry direction.

When I arrived at the port, I was charged £82.31 to correct the booking. The modification took less than a minute and involved just a few clicks of a mouse. I then had to modify my return journey (but can't find the receipt).

We wrote to Stena, pointing out that I had spend €1700 in the previous 12 months, even giving them bookings and dates, to show that I was actually a very good customer.

That was almost a year ago and in the past year I have only spent €160 (two foot passenger tickets).

I am now booking this years holiday to Scotland and am pleased to say I will not be using Stena.

Before final booking/payment you have the opportunity to view the booking details and to confirm it. You booked the wrong voyage, not Stena. This isn't a rip off, it's you not checking your details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

You seem to have a lot of bad luck with not checking things before you avail of the service. You have two other threads going about a dental rip off....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057714251

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057714252

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭andrewk08

Yes, I have these two bad customer relations items on my desk for months now; tonight is get it off my desk night.

Tonight is the letting go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yes, I have these two bad customer relations items on my desk for months now; tonight is get it off my desk night.

Whatever about the second issue, the Stena one is all yours, you booked the wrong voyage. It was your resoncibility to check it, Stema provided the service as per the booking, and had to change it because of your mistake. Sorry but the world and its dog knows that carriers change for changes to bookings, that is why you are prompted to review before you confirm.

Even Ryanair dropped their €50 to print your boarding card.

The point is not about making a mistake, anyone can make a mistake.
    It's the bad customer relations. If you penalise your customers too much, they may not come back, it's just bad business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The opposite direction fares may have been higher - its not like every sailing charges the same price. As its a year ago we can't really check. Not seeing any rip-off here to be honest.

Advertisement