Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loans after mortgage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Leddy2688

gmisk wrote: »
    I got a 10k home improvement loan from ptsb about a month after mortgage no issues

Do you mind me asking was this recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Leddy2688 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking was this recently?
    I'd say about 14 months ago.
    Mortgage with EBS and loan and banking with permanent tsb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Zulu wrote: »
    Not being smart, but if you would be "extremely comfortable" the bank wouldn't care less and give you the money. They're only interested in ability to repay.

...however, if you have the ability to repay, you also have the ability to save. Consider living "extremely frugally" instead. Save. Provide a buffer for yourself in case of unforeseen circumstance in the first year. Then all going well, you might be able to pay outright yourself or drawn down a much smaller loan. All the while protecting yourself.

I believe; my advice: Loading debt onto yourself in the first year should be avoided.

With all due respect credit makes the world go round. Putting triple glaze windows in and externally insulation a house aren't examples of luxuries . In fact it puts equity into the house reducing its LTV meaning migration of mortgage is far easier.

There are many ways to look at it not just obtusely saving is better ...

gmisk wrote: »
    I'd say about 14 months ago.
    Mortgage with EBS and loan and banking with permanent tsb

Oh me too got the mortgage with EBS and my partner has been with tsb for years. I'd be looking for a similar amount. Thanks so much for this I'll def try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh me too got the mortgage with EBS and my partner has been with tsb for years. I'd be looking for a similar amount. Thanks so much for this I'll def try them.
    No worries at all! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is finished, literally needs floors, paint, tiles,blinds, curtains, appliances etc, every penny I have is going on the deposit and solicitor fees just wanted to get all this done and get in asap

I know I'm financially conservative when it comes to loans, but this makes me concerned. You should have some cushion to spare at the moment, or you should have factored these costs into the total cost of buying the house.

Hope all this works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It is finished, literally needs floors, paint, tiles,blinds, curtains, appliances etc, every penny I have is going on the deposit and solicitor fees just wanted to get all this done and get in asap

You dont need to have the place 100% before you move in.
    Buy some second hand very basic kitchen appliances to get you buy.
    You dont need to paint and do the floors immediately.

I hope to be moving in to our place in the next month or two and and its a bit of a renovation project but we hope to move in within the first month after ive done the necessary and messy stuff.
    But we're going to get free/second hand appliances wherever we can initially and then buy good stuff later on.

If you can sleep, shower and eat in the house then you can move in.

But the simple answer is if you want to move into a 100% complete house then just ask your mortgage supplier, all they can say is yes or no. Theyre not going to revoke your current offer for asking.

dudara wrote: »
    I know I'm financially conservative when it comes to loans, but this makes me concerned. You should have some cushion to spare at the moment, or you should have factored these costs into the total cost of buying the house.

Hope all this works out for you

Thank you! As I said in my OP, the house I originally had a deposit on for 5 months fell through, and while I was waiting (being fed lies for 5 months) every other house that was in my price range had gone up 30-40k which is why I'm spending much more on a deposit of this house leaving me short to finish it!

Advertisement