Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyson Fury comeback

• 06-03-2017 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

"Breaking news"
    Return of the MAC,
    may 13th, working on an opponent more news to follow, @frankwarren_tv @btsport @boxnationtv

Must be when his ban is up...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Only interesting fella left in the sport. Hes great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great to hear he's coming back, hopefully he really means it. Needs get his license back first.
    A fit Fury would have taken a Haye - Bellew tag team Saturday night.

Needs serious gym work though as he's now massive.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I didnt believe him until Frank Warren confirmed.

Great news !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I won't be joining the chorus of "great to see he is back". Blight on the sport & it's image.

Hopefully he gets in the ring with Joshua and that will be an end to it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I won't be joining the chorus of "great to see he is back". Blight on the sport & it's image.

Hopefully he gets in the ring with Joshua and that will be an end to it then.

I take Tyson Fury any day of the week rather than a bland, boring and Eddie Hearn made machine like AJ.

Fury back is good for the sport it needs his personality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

When he is in the ring I will believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Under a BUI License, did he buy that on the internet. British Boxing Board of Control released a statement stating that he is not licensed to fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭selectamatic

When he is in the ring I will believe it.

The problem with fury is when he's in the ring that's when all the excitement/entertainment fizzles away.

pac_man wrote: »
    His last few fights have been surprisingly boring alright, style is almost risk averse. However for such a big man, he's really good footwork and that's great to watch.

He also has decent head movement and uses his reach very well. If he could take a punch he would easily beat Joshua and Wilder on points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

He also has decent head movement and uses his reach very well. If he could take a punch he would easily beat Joshua and Wilder on points

Shakey chin or rock solid chin...there isn't a man alive would stand up to clean hard flush shots from Joshua and Wilder imo...

That being said a fit and focused fury is both of those guys worst nightmare in terms of movement and skills. Fury needs to make them very boring affairs.

Also I think if Fury comes back without Peter as his trainer as has been rumoured he'll come a cropper very quickly.

Both 50/50 fights imo.

If Wlad has anything left he could yet derail the AJ train though....I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know I have mentioned this before but you are way overrating Fury. Even with a chin he would be presented with boxing problems against two big and aggressive boxers.

Forgetting Wilder. AJ is an Olympic champion who can damn well box. Fury ain't just going to show up and bounce around easily beating AJ. Have you seeN Fury against far lesser opposition? (and a scared sh1tless windy Wlad doesn't count). Far less imposing and talented opposition? AJ would be pressing Fury with power and spite. If Fury could rock and put AJ back on his heels his chances of a win increase. I don't think Fury can do this. AJ would not fear or be too affected by Fury's punches.

Fury has decent movement and can mix it up, but he doesn't have enough to deter and keep AJ at bay to get off his own good offensive.

Anyway, regardless, Fury gets knocked clean out by both, so points wins are pipe dreams for Fury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

walshb wrote: »
    I know I have mentioned this before but you are way overrating Fury. Even with a chin he would be presented with boxing problems against two big and aggressive boxers.

Forgetting Wilder. AJ is an Olympic champion who can damn well box. Fury ain't just going to show up and bounce around easily beating AJ. Have you seeN Fury against far lesser opposition? (and a scared sh1tless windy Wlad doesn't count). Far less imposing and talented opposition? AJ would be pressing Fury with power and spite. If Fury could rock and put AJ back on his heels his chances of a win increase. I don't think Fury can do this. AJ would not fear or be too affected by Fury's punches.

Fury has decent movement and can mix it up, but he doesn't have enough to deter and keep AJ at bay to get off his own good offensive.

Anyway, regardless, Fury gets knocked clean out by both, so points wins are pipe dreams for Fury.

I don't think it's fair to just discount Furys win against the dominant force in the heavyweight division for a decade. AJ or Wilder haven't fought anyone on the same level as Fury yet don't forget.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to just discount Furys win against the dominant force in the heavyweight division for a decade. AJ or Wilder haven't fought anyone on the same level as Fury yet don't forget.

I am discounting it because Wlad fought like a coward. AJ and Wilder will not be scared sh1tless to at least try to let their hands go. Even if that means possibly getting countered or knocked out, that's boxing. There is always that risk. It's the passion to actually be brave to try that Wlad was completely missing. Wlad fought like he didn't understand the risks, and simply didn't even try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ricero wrote:
    Fury back is good for the sport it needs his personality

Do boxing 'personalities' have to be intentionally insulting and obnoxious or would other traits be considered 'personality'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭skallywag

Would be delighted to see him make a return. Seems Bellew is contemplating him according to Sky ...

Bellew is considering one more bout at heavyweight after Saturday's sensational win over David Haye and would not rule out a huge domestic clash with Fury.

ThunderCat wrote: »

You must be new around here, we've been listening to this spiel for years.

Sure Fury wouldn't have lasted 2 rounds with David Haye don't ya know!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Do boxing 'personalities' have to be intentionally insulting and obnoxious or would other traits be considered 'personality'?

Sexist, misogynistic, homophobic personality is hardly one to be encouraged or lauded, I agree

You don't like Fury, so i think it clouds your judgment concerning his win over Wlad. Wlad was a chicken, but you don't address the real reason why: if he felt in control of the fight, that fury was no danger to him he would have let his hands go. you see he was left frustrated from being unable to land on Fury that he went into his shell in case he got caught.

I agree that Fury would lose to AJ, because although i feel he out boxes Joshua, he will get caught at some point, and i don't think it would need to be a flush shot to ko Fury.

You don't like Fury, so i think it clouds your judgment concerning his win over Wlad. Wlad was a chicken, but you don't address the real reason why: if he felt in control of the fight, that fury was no danger to him he would have let his hands go. you see he was left frustrated from being unable to land on Fury that he went into his shell in case he got caught.

I agree that Fury would lose to AJ, because although i feel he out boxes Joshua, he will get caught at some point, and i don't think it would need to be a flush shot to ko Fury.

Paint it how you like. You said it, he was chicken. Afraid to try in case he might have gotten hit. Absurd logic that really. It's boxing, when you try sometimes you will get hit.

There are no excuses for Wlad other than him being chicken. Saying it's because he thought he'd get hit just reaffirms that.

BTW, I don't like or dislike Fury. My personal feelings for him have 0 to do with how I assess him as a fighter. My thinking that he gets badly beaten by AJ and Wilder is to do with boxing, not personality or feelings.

I'm actually losing my marbles.

How on Earth can someone think Wilder beats Fury.

I actually hope Wilder fights someone of note soon and disappears off the radar.

At the moment Fury is the best heavyweight on the planet. If someone beats him that changes.

Wilder though . I need to sit down .

• Advertisement

You do know this is HW boxing?
    You do know that Wilder is a big man?
    You do know he carries excellent power?
    You do know he's not afraid to use it?
    You surely could think that in 36 minutes he may land flush on Fury?
    You do realise that Fury has been hurt and dropped by far lesser men as regards power?

Why is it so puzzling, again?

We can't be certain of anything, but I'd be somewhat confident that if Wilder lands a power punch clean enough on Fury's chin you will see Fury drop badly and not get up. I'd also be somewhat confident that he would actually land it.

Conversely I would be less confident that Fury goes 12 and wins on points, or that he knocks Wilder out. With a solid chin his chances sure do increase.

In a nutshell for me Fury is a KO waiting to happen.

I'm actually losing my marbles.

I actually hope Wilder fights someone of note soon and disappears off the radar.

At the moment Fury is the best heavyweight on the planet. If someone beats him that changes.

Wilder though . I need to sit down .

What's that based on? His result against Klit has been w/o because of the failed drugs test, which is being appealed afaik

You do know this is HW boxing?
    You do know that Wilder is a big man?
    You do know he carries excellent power?
    You do know he's not afraid to use it?
    You surely could think that in 36 minutes he may land flush on Fury?
    You do realise that Fury has been hurt and dropped by far lesser men as regards power?

Why is it so puzzling, again?

Well that's the same for nearly every single fight that takes place.

I'm genuinely perplexed anyone can rate Wilder. He just doesn't have the basics. If any elite fighter allowed one of them Wilder bombs to land without countering it they should hang their gloves up

snowflaker wrote: »
    What's that based on? His result against Klit has been w/o because of the failed drugs test, which is being appealed afaik

He beat the best . He is now the best.

Well that's the same for nearly every single fight that takes place.

Not really the exact same, though. Some HWs are far more dangerous than others. Wilder is going to be very dangerous for Fury because Wilder is big, hits very hard and actually tries to hit very hard. If he cannot find Fury's chin in 36 minutes I'd be perplexed.

Not really the exact same, though. Some HWs are far more dangerous than others. Wilder is going to be very dangerous for Fury because Wilder is big, hits very hard and actually tries to hit very hard. If he cannot find Fury's chin in 36 minutes I'd be perplexed.

The counter argument is that He has struggled for long stages to land that shot on fighters a lot smaller and alot worse than Fury. I mean , Molina hung in there for 11 rounds. I'm just not convinced . I hope he fights someone better soon so we know.

Paint it how you like. You said it, he was chicken. Afraid to try in case he might have gotten hit. Absurd logic that really. It's boxing, when you try sometimes you will get hit.

There are no excuses for Wlad other than him being chicken. Saying it's because he thought he'd get hit just reaffirms that.

BTW, I don't like or dislike Fury. My personal feelings for him have 0 to do with how I assess him as a fighter. My thinking that he gets badly beaten by AJ and Wilder is to do with boxing, not personality or feelings.

You are again ignoring the reason why he was a chicken, because he was frustrated for most of the night by Fury. He has been in against the likes of Peters, who hits far harder than Fury, and was not afraid to throw, because, unlike Fury, Peters did not have the boxing ability to trouble him.

I do agree Joshua has the skill to land on him and knock him out, Wilder does not. He has struggled to land on far inferior opponents to Fury. Fury if he could frustrate Wlad, will easily counter Wilder's windmill punches.

Of course there are exceptions, lucky punches, but a skilled boxers beats a limited fighter with a ko punch most of the time.

• Advertisement

You are again ignoring the reason why he was a chicken, because he was frustrated for most of the night by Fury. He has been in against the likes of Peters, who hits far harder than Fury, and was not afraid to throw, because, unlike Fury, Peters did not have the boxing ability to trouble him.

I do agree Joshua has the skill to land on him and knock him out, Wilder does not. He has struggled to land on far inferior opponents to Fury. Fury if he could frustrate Wlad, will easily counter Wilder's windmill punches.

Of course there are exceptions, lucky punches, but a skilled boxers beats a limited fighter with a ko punch most of the time.

Great post . Fury's footwork was perfect that fight . Just slightly out of range every second of the 12 rounds . Wasn't exciting but sometimes boxing turns into chess

nacho, you yourself have called him chicken. Reasons have nothing to do with it. He fought like a chicken, and listing reasons why he did is irrelevant. One reason being given is his fear of being hit. Do you realise how absurd that sounds? Afraid to try because I was afraid I might get punched..ludicrous.

One reason being given is his fear of being hit. Do you realise how absurd that sounds? Afraid to try because I was afraid I might get punched..ludicrous.

i'm not excusing his cowardice, nor condoning it, just explaining the reason why- there is always a reason, no matter how absurd the behaviour. Why, even though you don't like Fury's tactics, can you not give him some
    credit for doing to Wlad what others couldn't do for 10 years. For a big man he has great footwork. He used it to befuddle Wlad ,causing him to go into his shell. No doubt it was boring for many people, especially if you like an action packed fight. i personally like a slugfest, but can also appreciate a defensive fighter using his skills to frustrate another boxer- in this case a boxer who was undefeated for 10 years.

I was only focusing on Wlad. I didn't not give Fury praise. I simply focused on Wlad's performance. I thought it was dreadful. The fight was atrocious. Fury was not much better than Wlad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It was one of the worst fights I have ever sat through, Wlad constantly being in position to let his hands go and then doing nothing, Fury being Fury.

Grade A boredom.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Was a perfect fight from Fury, outboxed Vlad from the start, Gave him problems he never had before, Vlad was clinging on towards the end, another round and it would have been curtains.

Great to hear he's coming back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    I take it his announcement to fight in May is a bit premature?

He never mentioned what year!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement