Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Mortgages?

Options
  • 06-03-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am two and a half years into ~4% variable mortgage with PTSB, and am hoping I can soon switch to a lower interest rate. I don't want to re-mortgage, just simply switch the existing loan to get a lower interest rate. I don't know how much my house is worth now, but am pretty confident its worth more than when I bought it 2 and a half years ago. However I have not been following this space too closely, and so have a few queries:

1. Are there many people successfully getting better deals on existing mortgages at present?
    2. If yes, what type of deals are people getting? i.e. lower percentage fixed mortgages or perhaps lower variable mortgages?
    3. Can people recommend a mortgage broker?
    4. Am I barking up the wrong tree until I am further than 2.5 years into paying off the mortgage?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you aren't re-mortgaging you do not need a broker - just phone your bank. You may need a revaluation, this should cost less than €200. I went from 4.45% to 3.1% in November with BOI, 4 years in - just look to see what deals PTSB offer currently.

In my case no revaluation was required as I had a lower LTV in the first place and the bank also applied a straight line value increase which pushed me to the <50% rate; but I believe the <80% rate was the same anyway. >80% is what usually gets hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

L1011 wrote: »
    If you aren't re-mortgaging you do not need a broker - just phone your bank.

Would I not be limiting my options by just sticking with my current lender? Surely the use of a mortgage broker who would review offers by all banks would be the best option?

You are remortgaging if you change, something you said you didn't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to A&P

dudara

L1011 wrote: »
    You are remortgaging if you change, something you said you didn't want to do.

Sorry for the confusion - I thought the term "re-mortgage" meant to top up your loan and therefore take on more debt. As I said in my original post, I don't want more debt and just want to reduce the interest I am paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you switch banks your current loan will be cleared and you'll owe the money to another bank instead. You will also have legal bills although some banks will cover this or give you straight cash.

What is your LTV? Do you think the LTV has dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Bear in mind that the brokers don't review all banks, well not the two brokers I dealt with. One of em was advising to go with BOI even they were the highest at the time with a small amount of cash back gimmick. I think it will also involve solicitor. As L1011 said, you might avail better rate due to LTV being less as your property would have gone up in value and you would have also paid a part of your capital.

Wheety wrote: »
    If you switch banks your current loan will be cleared and you'll owe the money to another bank instead. You will also have legal bills although some banks will cover this or give you straight cash.

What is your LTV? Do you think the LTV has dropped?

Without getting a proper valuation I don't know the value but it has certainly increased while at the same time the loan has reduced. Sounds like I need to talk to some brokers - any recommendations?

Can you see how much the house (if any) are being sold for in your area or have a look at propertypriceregister to see how much they were sold for in the recent past ?

I wouldn't bother with a broker. I'd have a look around myself. You can get a reduced rate with PTSB. They have an offer of 0.5% off their LTV for 12 months. Could see if that saves you money first.

If you have a good LTV you could drop to around 3% with KBC. Use online calculators to have a rough idea how much you'll saving a month.

• Advertisement

+1 on not to bother with Broker, they will just recommend whatever suits them or whoever they work with.

You can see the comparison on Bonkers.ie to see who offers the best rate. KBC do offer good rates if you setup current a/c with them but if the interest rates are dropped they won't offer the lower rate to their existing customers but the Ulster Bank and the AIB will.

Calculator - https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/ie/

bbari wrote: »
    Can you see how much the house (if any) are being sold for in your area or have a look at propertypriceregister to see how much they were sold for in the recent past ?

There haven't been a lot of recent house sales in my estate, but I reckon my current LTV is approx 81%. I calculated this figure by dividing the current remaining loan balance by the current estimated value of the house - is this correct or should I be basing the calculation on the original loan value (which would result in an LTV of 83%)?

Eitherway do people reckon the LTV is too high at present or have I a fighting chance to get a better deal?

Thanks!

You're correct first time. The remaining loan by the value.

You can definitely save. You'd get an even bigger discount if you drop below 80%.

Even with your own bank you can save. https://www.permanenttsb.ie/borrowing/mortgages/mortgage-interest-rates/

I'd stay on variable or a 1 year fixed until you drop below 80% LTV. You may even drop below this if you get a valuation done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If you ring up your bank and get them to put you on a new Loan-To-Value rate then the process will be quick and will likely only involve a revaluation.

If you switch bank, either through a broker or yourself, you effectively complete one mortgage and take out a new one. That process takes four or five months, requires solicitors etc and legal fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hi folks
    1. Are there many people successfully getting better deals on existing mortgages at present?
    Definitely.

2. If yes, what type of deals are people gettingi.e. lower percentage fixed mortgages or perhaps lower variable mortgages?
    3.7% variable on 80% or less LTV with Ulster bank.

3. Can people recommend a mortgage broker?
    I can't sorry.

4. Am I barking up the wrong tree until I am further than 2.5 years into paying off the mortgage?

I changed after 11 months with KBC, shaved 3 years off the mortgage term and saved circa 20k. House had gone up in value as I had renovated it and paid for renovations out of my own money and did a lot of the labour myself so I hadn't needed to put the renovations on the initial mortgage.

Do it!

Wheety wrote:
    I'd stay on variable or a 1 year fixed until you drop below 80% LTV. You may even drop below this if you get a valuation done.

The above is a good idea however If you go with Ulster bank, they change your rate when your LTV bracket changes but AIB and few others don't.

You MAY not be able to get more than 80% as you aren't 1st time buyer anymore - confirm that with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

I'm a KBC customer, I phoned them saying I was shopping around for a better rate, they then said they could offer me some of the most competitive rates on the market to stay, I'm getting my house valued this Friday for a cost of €130, I know my ltv is approx 70% so the girl said if this is the case I can expect to lower my rate by approx 1%.... Also switching my current account to KBC and they apply a further 0.5% discount (I think) off my mortgage term.. It's a no Brainer for me.

I'm a KBC customer, I phoned them saying I was shopping around for a better rate, they then said they could offer me some of the most competitive rates on the market to stay, I'm getting my house valued this Friday for a cost of €130, I know my ltv is approx 70% so the girl said if this is the case I can expect to lower my rate by approx 1%.... Also switching my current account to KBC and they apply a further 0.5% discount (I think) off my mortgage term.. It's a no Brainer for me.
    What rates are you talking? They may be including the current account discount in any talk of rates.

I stayed with KBC but went from 3.69% variable to 3.05% fixed for 5 years. Could have switched to 2.95 variable but like being fixed for that long at that rate. I can't see the rates drop further. I know in UK and Europe you can get a little higher than 2% but I can not see that happening here.

That's good news for you that they are able to do that for you regardless of their T&C where they don't have to! with LTV of 70% you can get 3.10% which is after the current a/c discount - nice one!

What rates are you talking? They may be including the current account discount in any talk of rates.

I stayed with KBC but went from 3.69% variable to 3.05% fixed for 5 years. Could have switched to 2.95 variable but like being fixed for that long at that rate. I can't see the rates drop further. I know in UK and Europe you can get a little higher than 2% but I can not see that happening here.

Don't you wish if you can borrow money from one of those banks to buy a property here :)

• Advertisement

KBC wouldn't entertain me and would rather have lost a customer than drop the rate.

KBC wouldn't entertain me and would rather have lost a customer than drop the rate.
    Are you in negative equity or a LTV of over 90%?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

At present PTSB do not allow existing customers to fix.

The 12 months discounted rates are only available for new customers.

The only way to move LTV band is if you have not availed of this offer:

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/borrowing/mortgages/mvr-switch-offer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP call your bank to tell them to prepare the docs for your solicitors as you considering switching. You just want your deeds from the vault to ensure the switching process moves smoothly. Chances are you will be offered a better rate

Are you in negative equity or a LTV of over 90%?

Initial mortgage came in at 83% which put me at the 90% rule. Renovated and revalued which put me at 78% ltv so I was able to get a better rate

Initial mortgage came in at 83% which put me at the 90% rule. Renovated and revalued which put me at 78% ltv so I was able to get a better rate

Are you saying KBC won't let you move to one of their new rates? Are you on a fixed? They opened that up to all current customers. You just need a valuation carried out by one of their recommended valuers

I'm getting my house valued this Friday for a cost of €130

Do the bank need to do the valuation or can you use an independent valuer? Do you mind me asking who is valuing your house for a cost of €130?

thanks!

PGL wrote: »
    Do the bank need to do the valuation or can you use an independent valuer? Do you mind me asking who is valuing your house for a cost of €130?

thanks!

The bank will have a panel of independent valuers they will offer you - in my case when buying I was basically told to use one as the other in the area was the EA I was buying from!

Are you saying KBC won't let you move to one of their new rates? Are you on a fixed? They opened that up to all current customers. You just need a valuation carried out by one of their recommended valuers

At the time I approached KBC and expressed a wish to have a lower LTV and associated rate applied. They wouldn't entertain it even when I told them I would move. I wanted to leave them anyway as I had nothing but issues with them from day one such as signing me up for a 3.9% rate but actually paying a 4.1% rate for the 1st six months and a myriad of other blunders and infuriating errors on their behalf.

KBC - "The bank of you" really means the "bank of get you in and then fcuk you."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

At the time I approached KBC and expressed a wish to have a lower LTV and associated rate applied. They wouldn't entertain it even when I told them I would move. I wanted to leave them anyway as I had nothing but issues with them from day one such as signing me up for a 3.9% rate but actually paying a 4.1% rate for the 1st six months and a myriad of other blunders and infuriating errors on their behalf.

KBC - "The bank of you" really means the "bank of get you in and then fcuk you."

So why haven't you moved ?

Advertisement