Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Garlic

Options
  • 06-03-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

It is very easy to get nice and fresh wild garlic at Dublin. I tried to take a few walk around Cork and could not find any. Is there anyone who can give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

You're looking in wooded areas I take it? Bluebells are a good indicator,
    Still a little early anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cathalsmom

Thanks, milehip.

I used to get the wild garlic alongside the river in Dublin. But there is no luck in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

No bother.maybe stick a post in the Cork County or Cork City forums if that's where your based
    I know two of the most prolific places I've seen it is at a castle grounds and at a old estate house grounds(nowhere near Cork I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cathalsmom

Thanks again. I already tried post in cork city forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

cathalsmom wrote: »
    Thanks again. I already tried post in cork city forums.

Each year I get a really strong smell of wild garlic when driving between Kerry pike and blarney on lake road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

I was thinking of digging up
    A bit this year and planting it in the garden under a big copper beech. Good idea? Any tips?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just in case you hit the same confusion as we did - a friend gave us wil garlic bulbs, but they turned out to be a different plant - not ramsons, but another bulb often referred to as wild garlic or more properly (as far as i can tell) three sided leek. the leaves are much narrower, but they do have a very mild oniony/garlicy taste.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cathalsmom wrote: »
    It is very easy to get nice and fresh wild garlic at Dublin. I tried to take a few walk around Cork and could not find any. Is there anyone who can give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

Slightly OT, but are you using them as a salad or for cooking. Often come across them cycling and occasionally tempted to grab some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

I came across a lot it in Howth in paths near the rhododendrons. Seen it in the Phoenix Park too.
    Gangu wrote: »
    I was thinking of digging up
    A bit this year and planting it in the garden under a big copper beech. Good idea? Any tips?

People say its a fast spreading invasive plant, so best to avoid it. Or at best try an have a means of containing it.

smacl wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but are you using them as a salad or for cooking. Often come across them cycling and occasionally tempted to grab some.

I use it in masked potato, sort of like champ. Or in potato cakes. Also great in casseroles or soups.

• Advertisement

I use it in masked potato, sort of like champ. Or in potato cakes. Also great in casseroles or soups.

Mashed even. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Loads up around glen da Lough, took it two years s for the stuff I replanted to take off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It's out since late Jan in Wexford. Really all over the place down there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I use it in mashed potato, sort of like champ. Or in potato cakes. Also great in casseroles or soups.
    kilruddery house sell pesto made from their own wild garlic - but i think i remember seeing signs indicating you're not allowed pick it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

donaghs wrote: »
    I came across a lot it in Howth in paths near the rhododendrons. Seen it in the Phoenix Park too.

People say its a fast spreading invasive plant, so best to avoid it. Or at best try an have a means of containing it.

Yep. Think mint and use a bucket to grow it in if space is short. And thanks for he reminder; informal garden here and it would do well across the stream ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Used to be some growing in the garden of a house I used to rent. Only noticed it on mowing the lawn and got the smell. Never chanced it, as not sure if was edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Hi, I dug some from the bank of a lane nearby and planted  it near some bushes at the far side of the garden where it flourished for a while, but then the bushes began to overgrow it and it died out, so not as invasive as you might think.
    The most popular use would be in salads but the idea of making champ with it sounds appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loads in our garden, but also plenty of cats wandering around, I'd be wary about eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

I found lots of wild garlic growing in west cork last summer. Perhaps you're too early to be searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Plenty here in West Cork at the moment!

• Advertisement

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Plenty here in West Cork at the moment!

Yeah. That's where I last got it. Growing really plentifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Don't confuse the native wild garlic, or Ramsons, with the invasive three-cornered version. The former has wide leaves and is found in woodland and damp places, makes nice salad, butter, pesto, etc.
    See it here...
    http://tinyurl.com/jw4q3de

The latter is a menace: found everywhere this time of year, spreads like wildfire. It is also edible but not as richly garlicky. Avoid.

http://tinyurl.com/l5lok8c

It was the latter I had seen. Thanks for clarification.

Advertisement