Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bovine TB and TB ZIn deer population- Risk to humans.

Options
  • 07-03-2017 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

South Dublin is apparently rife with TB in the deer population but how easily is it transmitted to humans.
    What are the symptoms to look for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

I would say zero risk. Farmers like me and vets often work with cattle with TB and no concern. Cattle with TB even enter the food chain legally so your rare fillet steak is more of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

'What do the authorities say?

DEFRA states that The Sunday Times’ claim that people are at risk of contracting bovine TB through eating meat is “irresponsible scaremongering”. It says that the Food Standards Agency has confirmed that there are no known cases of people contracting TB from eating meat.
    DEFRA says that all meat from cattle killed due to being infected with bovine TB must have rigorous food safety checks before it is passed as fit for consumption. Therefore, it says that any risk is extremely low, regardless of whether or how the meat is cooked.
    The department also notes that the risks have been reviewed by the Food Standards Agency’s independent advisory expert panel (the Advisory Committee on the Microbiological Safety of Food) in 2002 and 2010, and by also the European Food Safety Authority.
    '

Taken from NHS - http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/07July/Pages/Concerns-raised-about-bovine-TB-infected-meat.aspx

In my experience dealing with food safety etc we in Ireland are years behind other national agency's and when we do catch up we go OTT in regulation and application....

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

just to add if animal is very bad with tb the carcass is totally condemned. odd nodule in lungs ok to eat

Advertisement